5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has not had issues with 3rd brake light leaking?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Built June 27/28 (midnight), 2020. No leaks, but when I replaced my bulbs with LED bulbs about 1000 miles ago, I carved off the foam seal and replaced with the Marine/Auto self-stick EPDM seal. That stuff worked well for my 2014 3rd brake light, so far so good with my 2020.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing leaking here but then again its in the garage 95% of it’s life... 🤔🙄

bhurst10

Reaction score
I purchased my truck in April of 2019 I am not sure of the build date but I have over 30k miles and no leak. Limited 4WD 3.92 Gears 5.7 Non Etorque.

ya3coub

Reaction score
Deciding to replace the 3rd brake light gasket or not preemptively. Who has not had an issue with it leaking in car washes? If yours has been fine, what is your build date?
Mine is 2019 one of the first batches to reach Doha,

never had the leaking, I’m worried and inspect it after every wash

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is 2019 one of the first batches to reach Doha,

never had the leaking, I’m worried and inspect it after every wash
If it aint leaking yet, it most likely never will. Just keep an eye out for your rear window developing cracks in the plastic frame.

BNeal

Reaction score
Did they address that issue on the '21 MY? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did they address that issue on the '21 MY? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...
Totally different design of the CHMSL (LED with Camera) on the 21 MY. When I looked at my 21 rear window during purchase, it did look slightly different than my 19 did. However, someone posted that the part numbers were the same :unsure:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Totally different design of the CHMSL (LED with Camera) on the 21 MY. When I looked at my 21 rear window during purchase, it did look slightly different than my 19 did. However, someone posted that the part numbers were the same :unsure:
While I haven't seen a picture of the seal on the LED/camera CHMSL yet, my understanding is if you don't get the tech package (or maybe one of the higher trims), you don't get that housing/camera; you get the same 3rd brake light as the rest of us poor saps. :)

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have been scared to take the truck through the car wash until I replaced the gasket. I used the one from Home Depot suggested here. The original gasket looked pretty weak. My main problem is it seems to be foam, which is why it is reported to leak in the car wash and heavy rain but not lighter rain (foam gets saturated, leaks when it can't absorb more).

I used a plastic trim tool with a flat edge that I got previously from Crutchfield to remove the old gasket. And Goo Gone for most of the glue. I tried to saturate the glue with GG and some of the glue and gasket material got into the lense holes during removal. Took some work but got it all out and cleaned up. What really helped get all the glue off was heating it up by putting it in front of the propane heater. Did this originally to dry out things faster inside the lense openings, but it really worked well softening the glue.

The new gasket is much more robust and went on easily. I did the seam on the bottom. Put some cleat silicone RTV over the seam and all around the outside edge where the gaskets meets the plastic. Probably not necessary but figured why not.

Put in the white Lasfit bulbs (very bright) and reinstalled housing on truck. One screw hole was a bit funny and only one particular screw of the four screws would work. I tightened them all down a little at a time and kept rotating through until all were fairly snug, instead of tightening one all the way then doing the same with the next one. No cracks as far as I can tell, a few small scratches from the gasket removal process but nothing major.

Silicone takes at least 24 hours to cure. I will probably double check the screws Monday and then take it through the car wash to get the salt off the truck.

Took over two hours, glue removal and getting gasket material out of the lense took a long time. I got at least 95% of the glue off using both GG and heating it up. If doing it again I would try just using heat on the glue after removing foam gasket material.

Last edited:

MeOff

Reaction score
So I have been scared to take the truck through the car wash until I replaced the gasket. I used the one from Home Depot suggested here. The original gasket looked pretty weak. My main problem is it seems to be foam, which is why it is reported to leak in the car wash and heavy rain but not lighter rain (foam gets saturated, leaks when it can't absorb more).

I used a plastic trim tool with a flat edge that I got previously from Crutchfield to remove the old gasket. And Goo Gone for most of the glue. I tried to saturate the glue with GG and some of the glue and gasket material got into the lense holes during removal. Took some work but got it all out and cleaned up. What really helped get all the glue off was heating it up by putting it in front of the propane heater. Did this originally to dry out things faster inside the lense openings, but it really worked well softening the glue.

The new gasket is much more robust and went on easily. I did the seam on the bottom. Put some cleat silicone RTV over the seam and all around the outside edge where the gaskets meets the plastic. Probably not necessary but figured why not.

Put in the white Lasfit bulbs (very bright) and reinstalled housing on truck. One screw hole was a bit funny and only one particular screw of the four screws would work. I tightened them all down a little at a time and kept rotating through until all were fairly snug, instead of tightening one all the way then doing the same with the next one. No cracks as far as I can tell, a few small scratches from the gasket removal process but nothing major.

Silicone takes at least 24 hours to cure. I will probably double check the screws Monday and then take it through the car wash to get the salt off the truck.

Took over two hours, glue removal and getting gasket material out of the lense took a long time. I got at least 95% of the glue off using both GG and heating it up. If doing it again I would try just using heat on the glue after removing foam gasket material.
Bought my 19' in Feb 19'. Build date Dec 18'. No leak issues.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was talking to a mopar parts dealer and he stated the numbers for the brake light is going to two numbers, one for the seal and one for the light. Maybe FCA got tired of replacing the light and seal together?????????

jtothecruz

Reaction score
21 BH Night Edition. Build date was 1/5/21. Picked up the truck on the 1/13/21. I added weather seal the first week. So far I have went through 2 car washes with no leaks. I know it's still too early to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_103102.jpg
    IMG_20210216_103102.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210216_103045.jpg
    IMG_20210216_103045.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210216_102915.jpg
    IMG_20210216_102915.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 75

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was talking to a mopar parts dealer and he stated the numbers for the brake light is going to two numbers, one for the seal and one for the light. Maybe FCA got tired of replacing the light and seal together?????????
Good to know.
Knock on wood for me. Never had any leaks anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread