5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to order the Billet Oil Catch Can. Too bad it looks like it's going to take 40 days or more to get it. :(

Does anyone have any coupon codes that are current?

U

User_7672

What a **** show lol! The oil draining was okay notching out a gallon milk container bypassing the sway bar. The location of the oil filter is total crap, Engineer Johnny really crapped the bed with that spot. Using a zip lock bag was difficult when slippery with oil. Once the filter is off you have to fish it through the front of the engine bay, can’t just drop it straight down with the steering rack and a wiring harness and bracket in the way. Stupid design.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What a **** show lol! The oil draining was okay notching out a gallon milk container bypassing the sway bar. The location of the oil filter is total crap, Engineer Johnny really crapped the bed with that spot. Using a zip lock bag was difficult when slippery with oil. Once the filter is off you have to fish it through the front of the engine bay, can’t just drop it straight down with the steering rack and a wiring harness and bracket in the way. Stupid design.

Exactly why I just take it to my Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram dealer. Not worth the savings. And, I'm not about to spill oil on my paver driveway.

I'm about to have the 2nd oil change done in the couple of weeks. It'll be around 7,500 miles

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting mine delivered in 2 weeks but doing the HW. Manual calls for Full Synthetic, correct? I saw people talking about Semi Synthetic somewhere. What weight? And does everyone recommend Pennzoil? I used Mobil 1 on my Avalanche, but I keep seeing Pennzoil mentioned. Why?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Getting mine delivered in 2 weeks but doing the HW. Manual calls for Full Synthetic, correct? I saw people talking about Semi Synthetic somewhere. What weight? And does everyone recommend Pennzoil? I used Mobil 1 on my Avalanche, but I keep seeing Pennzoil mentioned. Why?
Pennzoil is factory fill and the synthetics (Platinum, Ultra Platinum) are Chrysler-certified. Mobil 1 is not, despite the fact that it is a quality brand, as discussed many times in this thread and others. So Pennzoil gets the nod for warranty-related concerns.

James1414d

Reaction score
I dont drive much, but i just do it every 6mos. Just did my first one at 2400 miles. I work as a Subaru technician so the truck gets Subaru 5-30 synthetic (it's free:D)

Adkram

Reaction score
Just did my first at 5,000 miles and will do the rest at every 10 thereafter. Used Pennzoil Platinum. Man I echo all the thoughts here about placement of the oil filter. What a joke. Used Tekton 12” oil filter pliers to get it loose. Curious what others are using? Definitely lubed up the outside of the engine getting that thing out! I was wondering why inthe youtube videos out there showing oil changes on this engine they never actually show the filter. Now I know why.

U

User_7672

Just did my first at 5,000 miles and will do the rest at every 10 thereafter. Used Pennzoil Platinum. Man I echo all the thoughts here about placement of the oil filter. What a joke. Used Tekton 12” oil filter pliers to get it loose. Curious what others are using? Definitely lubed up the outside of the engine getting that thing out! I was wondering why inthe youtube videos out there showing oil changes on this engine they never actually show the filter. Now I know why.
Haha. Same as when they mention it take 30 minutes to do anything on a vehicle, they’re full of it or they’ve never actually did the work themselves just read about it.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a video somewhere of a pied that slips over the filled filter, and pierces it, allowing the used oil in the filter to drain out. Then, simply remove the old filter as always, just with no oil in it and less mess. I looked for it, googled it, and the only hits I got was to look for it as aircraft parts/tools. I forgot, and I'll look into it, but figured if anyone else knew, they would share. Just an idea.

Part of me worries about puncturing it, but it's going to be garbage anyway... Well maybe crack it loose first, so you know you can get it off, then puncture it. That way, if it was totally stuck, you wouldn't puncture it and could still drive it to a oil change shop to get it off. Nothing worse than puncturing it first and then Oh, Sh+t, I can't get it off now. lol

swarggs

Reaction score
I saw a video somewhere of a pied that slips over the filled filter, and pierces it, allowing the used oil in the filter to drain out. Then, simply remove the old filter as always, just with no oil in it and less mess. I looked for it, googled it, and the only hits I got was to look for it as aircraft parts/tools. I forgot, and I'll look into it, but figured if anyone else knew, they would share. Just an idea.

Part of me worries about puncturing it, but it's going to be garbage anyway... Well maybe crack it loose first, so you know you can get it off, then puncture it. That way, if it was totally stuck, you wouldn't puncture it and could still drive it to a oil change shop to get it off. Nothing worse than puncturing it first and then Oh, Sh+t, I can't get it off now. lol
I recall reading something like that mentioned in another thread.

Something like this I believe:

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recall reading something like that mentioned in another thread.

Something like this I believe:

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, it was something like that, but it drained from the bottom, and had a small hose attached. Hard to find it thought. Google searches don't find it. Only that one.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently changed mine for the first time. I ended up using Mobil 1 synthetic. I tried the gallon bag truck that someone suggested earlier in this thread. It worked perfectly. I don’t know how I haven’t done this before. Ive been changing oil on a Hemi since 2004.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I'm planning on my first oil change at 2,000 miles to Royal Purple. Never used it before, so thought I would give it a try. I've always used Mobil 1 in everything, but since it doesn't meet the Chrysler Specification I'm gonna stay away from it.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I had the dealer do my first one at 1K miles. The service advisor said it was early ... I know, old habits die hard. I did smile when she asked if I also wanted the tires rotated. No, I'm good ;-)

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Had my first oil change at 3000 miles. Done at the dealer by a 80+ year old tech that's been there since 1957. I told him about the baggie over the filter thing. I found one in the trash can, he tried it and said, that's a pretty cool idea, you must had seen that on the internet. Yup. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but do people do their own oil changes on new trucks?
I’ve always done it in my older cars but they were well outside warranty and I didn’t want to pay someone else to do it. The dealer told me there is no services included at all, not even an oil change after break-in.
Can you do it yourself in a new truck, is there no requirement to reset a computer or anything?

I talked to my dealer about doing DIY oil changes and if would void warranty, they told me as long as its registered maintenance through carfax then it's ok. It's a free app I've been using for years for all my vehicles maintenance, so I enter required information and it has an option to take picture of a recipet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/