5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

wwalljr

Reaction score
I talked to my dealer about doing DIY oil changes and if would void warranty, they told me as long as its registered maintenance through carfax then it's ok. It's a free app I've been using for years for all my vehicles maintenance, so I enter required information and it has an option to take picture of a recipet.
I have a hard time understanding that logging in carfax has anything to do with it being ‘ok’ with FCA. Could you please explain how me putting an arbitrary record in Carfax app means anything to FCA? There is still no way to verify the maintenance was actually done. A lot of us have been changing oil in our own cars for decades and not had issues getting warranty work done when needed.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Did my first oil change yesterday, 1450 miles. Went to Amsoil Signature with Mobil 1 extended life filter. Now I'm gonna use the truck's oil life indicator for future changes. My dealership made sure I understood that I shouldn't be changing the oil yet, and I appreciated their input.

I hope they're not correct........:unsure:

mjamesgt

Reaction score
Just did my first change at 995 miles. Going to change at 5k and then every 5k after that. Penzoil PUP 5w20 and a Bosch filter. Man I would love to have a chat with the engineer who decided that oil filter location was a good spot. NO thought into maintenance went into that. My other car is and Audi and its mounted on top of the engine bay so it can be changed without even jacking the car up.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding that logging in carfax has anything to do with it being ‘ok’ with FCA. Could you please explain how me putting an arbitrary record in Carfax app means anything to FCA? There is still no way to verify the maintenance was actually done. A lot of us have been changing oil in our own cars for decades and not had issues getting warranty work done when needed.

Sorry I don't work for FCA or any dealership or licensed garage, I'm just relaying the message from my dealer. To get the answer your looking for maybe contact them, ok Bud..

Tommym

Reaction score
So I am at 1550 miles and got ready to do my first oil change. I was set (so I thought). I had 7 quarts Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and an Amsoil Filter thru Steve and Rambeast. I picked up a Fumoto drain valve to make future oil changes easier. To handle the mess from the oil filter location, I decided to try a Tempest oil filter drain tool.

Drain valve went in no problem. Unfortunately, the oil filter drain tool I picked up is for a 3-1/2 “diameter filter. The RAM is only about a 3 inch diameter filter. Oops. Even so, the oil change went smoothly.

I’ll modify filter tool and we’ll get it right the next time. No worries.

IMG_22391.jpg DSC_6061.JPG DSC_6060.JPG DSC_6063.JPG DSC_6065.JPG

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did my first oil change yesterday, 1450 miles. Went to Amsoil Signature with Mobil 1 extended life filter. Now I'm gonna use the truck's oil life indicator for future changes. My dealership made sure I understood that I shouldn't be changing the oil yet, and I appreciated their input.

I hope they're not correct........:unsure:
Seems basackwards for them to make sure you knew NOT to change the oil yet, I mean, yes it's early however they are in the business of servicing their products as well. Other than that, they also get you in to see the accessories the parts department carries, another profit center.

mrbuck

Reaction score
Approx 2600 miles, got Ram Care which includes 4 oil changes and 4 tire rotations,had the truck since Dec 1 and only up to almost 2600 miles,have 24 months to use the 4 oil changes/rotations so gonna do it approx every 6 months so I can use those up in time,dont drive it much,I drive for a CJDR/Chev/Ford dealership owner so I am driving their stuff most of the time and don't get to drive mine much!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Approx 2600 miles, got Ram Care which includes 4 oil changes and 4 tire rotations,had the truck since Dec 1 and only up to almost 2600 miles,have 24 months to use the 4 oil changes/rotations so gonna do it approx every 6 months so I can use those up in time,dont drive it much,I drive for a CJDR/Chev/Ford dealership owner so I am driving their stuff most of the time and don't get to drive mine much!
I’ll probably end up using 1-2 tire rotations out of that MVP plan, as I don’t put on a lot of miles and do my own oil changes.

MeOff

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys doing your first oil changes at?
My 1st oil change at 3000 miles. 2nd oil change will be at 7000 miles, then every 10,000 miles afterward. Always use full synthetic w/good filter. Did this on my new 2008, 5.7 Hemi and had 200,000 miles w/NO issues when I traded in eleven years later for my new 2019, 5.7 Hemi.

MeOff

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but do people do their own oil changes on new trucks?
I’ve always done it in my older cars but they were well outside warranty and I didn’t want to pay someone else to do it. The dealer told me there is no services included at all, not even an oil change after break-in.
Can you do it yourself in a new truck, is there no requirement to reset a computer or anything?
I'm 65 yo. Still do my own oil changes. Once done, go to instrument cluster thru controls on steering wheel and reset oil life. Piece of cake on new Rams.

ramhead

Reaction score
Just did my first change at 995 miles. Going to change at 5k and then every 5k after that. Penzoil PUP 5w20 and a Bosch filter. Man I would love to have a chat with the engineer who decided that oil filter location was a good spot. NO thought into maintenance went into that. My other car is and Audi and its mounted on top of the engine bay so it can be changed without even jacking the car up.

Probably to the contrary....they'd rather make it difficult on diy'ers and have them decide it's not worth it, bringing it in for service and more money to them. So...thought went into it, that thought being profiting by making things more of a pain in the azz.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did my first oil change tonight @ 4200 miles. It really was a PIA like others have mentioned but I think it will get easier as time goes on. I'll give you my run down of my experience and I don't mean to be repetitive of what others have previously mentioned. I have learned a lot from others on the forum.

The plug and the filter were really factory torqued on and my major difficulty was figuring out how to get to the filter and put enough force to get that reverse clockwise motion going. I used a gallon zip lock bag (probably too big) to remove the filter and it wasn't snug enough around the filter and I was only able to capture maybe 70% of the oil in the bag. If others have input on how they do it successfully please let me know! It ended up a bit messy. I found the best way to get to the filter is to approach it from the front bumper direction in a horizontal direction. For those who havn't tried it yet, you will figure it out once you get under there and check it out.

I installed a Fumoto oil plug for future changes. I also bought a 3ft 3/8" inner diameter fuel hose from Autozone that will attach to the Fumoto. I am looking forward to the next oil change because that Fumoto should make things a lot easier so you don't have to work around the lower bar. I also visited the dealer and went ahead and bought a few Mopar filters and just bought the Pennzoil synthetic there (I probably won't do that again due to the price). Word to the wise- the service guy did say to keep VERY detailed notes about DIY interval work on the truck and keep ALL receipts. He has seen warranty claims denied from FCA without this detailed documentation.

Used:

7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (Mopar approved), Walmart has a 5 quart for about $23, opposed to like $7 per quart at dealer
Mopar oil filter 339
Fumoto plug F106N

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first oil change tonight @ 4200 miles. It really was a PIA like others have mentioned but I think it will get easier as time goes on. I'll give you my run down of my experience and I don't mean to be repetitive of what others have previously mentioned. I have learned a lot from others on the forum.

The plug and the filter were really factory torqued on and my major difficulty was figuring out how to get to the filter and put enough force to get that reverse clockwise motion going. I used a gallon zip lock bag (probably too big) to remove the filter and it wasn't snug enough around the filter and I was only able to capture maybe 70% of the oil in the bag. If others have input on how they do it successfully please let me know! It ended up a bit messy. I found the best way to get to the filter is to approach it from the front bumper direction in a horizontal direction. For those who havn't tried it yet, you will figure it out once you get under there and check it out.

I installed a Fumoto oil plug for future changes. I also bought a 3ft 3/8" inner diameter fuel hose from Autozone that will attach to the Fumoto. I am looking forward to the next oil change because that Fumoto should make things a lot easier so you don't have to work around the lower bar. I also visited the dealer and went ahead and bought a few Mopar filters and just bought the Pennzoil synthetic there (I probably won't do that again due to the price). Word to the wise- the service guy did say to keep VERY detailed notes about DIY interval work on the truck and keep ALL receipts. He has seen warranty claims denied from FCA without this detailed documentation.

Used:

7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (Mopar approved), Walmart has a 5 quart for about $23, opposed to like $7 per quart at dealer
Mopar oil filter 339
Fumoto plug F106N
Good info for the new folks that haven’t dug through past threads. I went with PUP 5W-20 from Amazon, a Mobil 1 M1-113A filter and a Fumoto F106SX valve (the one that rotates).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Used:

Mopar oil filter 339
Fumoto plug F106N
Wait...Christmas 2019 hasn’t happened yet (per your sig) ;)

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait...Christmas 2019 hasn’t happened yet (per your sig) ;)
Ha, Fixed! Thanks for the catch, I don't live in the rear view mirror my friend! Lol. I'll have to look at the F106SX if I run into issues on my next oil change.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just took possession of my new truck. Build date was 12/18 and sat on the lot for 6 months. I only drive about 8k miles a year. What would you recommend I perform my first oil change? I'm thinking it should be sooner than later? And how often after the first one given I don't put many miles on the truck (mostly around town to/from commuter lot, errands, etc. Very few long trips). MOPAR has a special going on where you can buy a 3-pack of Full Synthetic Oil changes & Tire Rotations for $154.95 which seems like a really good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread