5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
M1-113A, which is just the newest version of the M1-113. I think either would be fine but the "A" technically is the newest version, and they had the M1-113A in stock at my auto parts store.
“A” is the EP version, right?

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Changed mine for the first time this evening @ 4987 miles. Went with Mobil 1 5w30 and a WIX filter. Even with my newer vehicles and full synthetic oils, I've never felt comfortable going more than about 5000 miles, even though the manufacturers recommend more. However, after dealing with an oil filter mounted above the electric power steering unit on this one, I might just change my tune.

As many things as the engineers might have gotten right on these new trucks, this is NOT one of them. Ugh!

19BH

Reaction score
Being old school I second that as well. Changed mine @ 2000 Miles with PUP with SRT filter and will change about every 8000 unless the system urges sooner.
What is the SRT filter number?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does Pennzoil ultra platinum meet the requirements for this truck?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
They recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W- 20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. If Pennzoil ultra platinum meets these requirements, you should be good to go.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys doing your first oil changes at?
I’m planning on 1k miles. From what I’ve read it’s not a bad idea. I also went with one of the recommended oils, Valvoline Synthetic for engines 2014+. After that just planning on using the oil life meter.

Ch28

Reaction score
I had the dealer change mine about 3 weeks ago at around 3,800 miles. It was her first oil change. I requested a full synthetic oil change and these ****ers put regular oil in and didn’t even change the oil filter!!!

Army has taught me one thing for sure and that is TOO TRUST BUT VERIFY! I crawled under the truck and looked at the filter and it was cover it dirt and cobwebs and even had a stamp stating factory installed. It also didn’t have a drop of oil on it or around it.

I immediately drove back to the dealer and raised hell. They immediately took the truck in put the correct oil in and new oil filter.

I hate dealerships, I sincerely do

It was the Macon Five Star dealership here in middle Georgia FYI.
I had the dealer change mine about 3 weeks ago at around 3,800 miles. It was her first oil change. I requested a full synthetic oil change and these ****ers put regular oil in and didn’t even change the oil filter!!!

Army has taught me one thing for sure and that is TOO TRUST BUT VERIFY! I crawled under the truck and looked at the filter and it was cover it dirt and cobwebs and even had a stamp stating factory installed. It also didn’t have a drop of oil on it or around it.

I immediately drove back to the dealer and raised hell. They immediately took the truck in put the correct oil in and new oil filter.

I hate dealerships, I sincerely do

It was the Macon Five Star dealership here in middle Georgia FYI.

Had this happen multiple times with previous cars we had, hyundais, and that is why i started doing my own. This is my first brand new vehicle and have contemplated having dealer do the oil changes so i could get updatesand recalls taken care of, that was until i was getting different answers from different RAm dealers. One told me they only take conventional and another told me they can take either. I eventually contacted FCA and they confirmed synthetic or conventional. It justs confirmed with me that the only way i would truly know its done is doing it myself. Plan on first at 3k with pennzoil blend, then swithcing to PP at 6k and every 6k thereon out.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Changing oil is the cheapest insurance. Out here in ND weather I change right before winter and once in spring, and another one in middle of I drive more than 12k a year.

Marcus889

Reaction score
Are you guys doing oil changes at dealership, yourselves or just a trusted shop with your own oil??

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Are you guys doing oil changes at dealership, yourselves or just a trusted shop with your own oil??
I got two free oil changes when I bought my truck. After that, I will let my mechanic do them.
I would love to have time to do this myself like when I was young (and poor) but now I can afford to pay someone else to do it, and use that time for other things. After having owned Audis, BMWs, and my last one, a MB SUV, the price of a RAM oil change seems like peanuts in comparison :).

Cheers

Last edited:

Benhonda

Reaction score
I just did mine @ 4k, meter onboard said 50%. This included a 2000mi rnd trip, switched to full syn @dealership, not sure what kind of oil they use.

Dredram

Reaction score
Im gonna do mine at 1500mi then every 7k with Mobil 1 ext

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Just got mine done at the dealer this morning, 5100 miles. I assume that they use a molar filter similar to what would come from the factory? I checked out the filter after work tonight and the filter is dirtier than I would figure it to be after 45 miles. The dealer WOULD change the filter, right?

Disclaimer: I should’ve looked before hand. I believe my dealer changed it, but was surprised that it didn’t look ‘cleaner’.

Attachments

• 67E7CD71-A17E-4B51-9186-0C6043E73D56.jpeg
    67E7CD71-A17E-4B51-9186-0C6043E73D56.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread