5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just got mine done at the dealer this morning, 5100 miles. I assume that they use a molar filter similar to what would come from the factory? I checked out the filter after work tonight and the filter is dirtier than I would figure it to be after 45 miles. The dealer WOULD change the filter, right???
They’re supposed to. Are you sure it’s just not from handling with dirty hands?

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Sure could be, I just had a bad feeling in my gut after seeing that and the coolant tank lid was open when I looked.

Does the factory filter differ any from a MOPAR that dealers would use?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should look same. On the bottom it will say factory if it was put on at assembly line. Not there if replaced at dealer

Fidomac

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but do people do their own oil changes on new trucks?
I’ve always done it in my older cars but they were well outside warranty and I didn’t want to pay someone else to do it. The dealer told me there is no services included at all, not even an oil change after break-in.
Can you do it yourself in a new truck, is there no requirement to reset a computer or anything?
You should negotiate with dealer...they gave me 6 oil changes to seal the deal...

geotex1

Reaction score
Sure could be, I just had a bad feeling in my gut after seeing that and the coolant tank lid was open when I looked.

Does the factory filter differ any from a MOPAR that dealers would use?

Factory filter literally says so! It's printed on it. The filter now on is definitely an off-the-shelf Mopar filter for resale and not the factory.

Maple

Reaction score
Just got mine done at the dealer this morning, 5100 miles. I assume that they use a molar filter similar to what would come from the factory? I checked out the filter after work tonight and the filter is dirtier than I would figure it to be after 45 miles. The dealer WOULD change the filter, right?

Disclaimer: I should’ve looked before hand. I believe my dealer changed it, but was surprised that it didn’t look ‘cleaner’.
You can tell they changed the oil filter because they spilled oil everywhere when they changed it. :D You've got some newly lubricated parts under it.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update- So I did my 3k oil change this weekend. Which I already changed out factory at 500 with full synthetic and 2011 oil filter. Catch can install at 700.
Have to say not a bunch of metal like first drain but way dirty and oil filter super heavy for miles on it. I will be cutting it open tomorrow when I get to work.
And no update on catch can amount as when under truck found it has been leaking out. Grrrr. It made a good mess so I’m sure it was a good amount though.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive very low miles, maybe 7,000 per year. For full synthetic, would a 1x a year at ~7,000 miles be okay, or should I do it every 6 months ~3,000. I know it can never hurt to change more than less, but who likes changing oil in the cold half of the year! #NeedaGarage!

Maple

Reaction score
I drive very low miles, maybe 7,000 per year. For full synthetic, would a 1x a year at ~7,000 miles be okay, or should I do it every 6 months ~3,000. I know it can never hurt to change more than less, but who likes changing oil in the cold half of the year! #NeedaGarage!
Manual calls for 10k miles, 12 months, or 350 hours of idle time (an issue if you remote start a few times before going to get the mail at the end of the driveway). Should be fine with synthetic once a year w/ 7k miles.

swarggs

Reaction score
You can tell they changed the oil filter because they spilled oil everywhere when they changed it. :D You've got some newly lubricated parts under it.
How about it. I read these comments going into my first oil change so I had an idea, but wow is that a bad location for an oil filter. Have they always been there? I always had my dealer change my 2013 1500. My 392 3500 had its own built in funnel type thing below the filter so any oil spilling would just drain past everything. It was a breeze to change that filter.

Here's a catch can dump after the first 5000 miles. About the same as every other 5.7 I've owned.
eccc0f427352a5449e93d5fc3e6fe939.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Manual calls for 10k miles, 12 months, or 350 hours of idle time (an issue if you remote start a few times before going to get the mail at the end of the driveway). Should be fine with synthetic once a year w/ 7k miles.
Agreed...and I do ~7K miles per year too (with annual PUP oil changes).

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the many reasons I'm a fan of the 5.7 engine is that it gives us options. Some engines are known for having bad oil passages which pretty much requires frequent changes to prevent sludging. Not so with the 5.7. Want to change at 3k? Ok. Want to change at 10k? That's ok too... the 5.7 is robust enough to tolerate it.

I try to hedge bets in both directions. My time is too valuable to waste every 3k miles but I'd rather not go to the max recommended interval either. I change when the indicator reads 10 or 15 %... or about 8,500 to 9,000 miles.

acat

Reaction score
I got two free oil changes when I bought my truck. After that, I will let my mechanic do them.
I would love to have time to do this myself like when I was young (and poor) but now I can afford to pay someone else to do it, and use that time for other things. After having owned Audis, BMWs, and my last one, a MB SUV, the price of a RAM oil change seems like peanuts in comparison :).

Cheers

Not exactly to bimmer since they are free,lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machz

Reaction score
First at 5k to Mobil one then every 10k after that.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be close to 8000 miles after running to Bradenton and back this weekend. Dragging my Camaro over and back with my new 20' enclosed trailer. I got rid of my 24 footer.
Anyway, I'll get my 2nd oil change done some time next week. At my delivering dealer. Using Mopar oil filter and their bulk oil.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Changed mine at about 1100. Waiting on my mishimoto catch can. No metal chunks or flakes which was very nice to see (or not see)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online