5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I usually drop the factory oil at about 2-3,000 miles in case there’s any small metal shavings or other debris left over from powertrain manufacturing. An assembled motor is far from spotless so good to get that out fairly soon. After that I go by the oil life monitor which is usually 10,000 miles.

Been doing that with all my new vehicles over the years with no issues whatsoever. Changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste. That advice was good 30-40 years ago but we’ve come a long way since then with drastically better oil quality and much more efficient and better built motors.

Yup, I actually wished I did my initial drain earlier, consider how heavy it appears our RAMs break-in metal initially based on oil analysis.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it is, not sure how many non-synthetics could be rated for 10,000 miles at the most optimistic of range of the maintenance computer.

Plus the RAM oil temp can get as high as 285F during heavy towing, which would require ideally a full synthetic oil to have a high enough flash point.

Also, when you look at the oil recommendations in the manual, such as Shell Helix, that's a synthetic oil. Factor in my dealership doesn't even offer a conventional oil change for my truck (not that I would take it there) leads me to believe the factory oil is synthetic.

U

User_3336

the 22's now recommend 0w-20, which is synthetic anyway. So would seem they WOULD come with it from the factory.

U

User_3336

They have a oil change special here using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. 3 for $145 including a tire rotation.
I went ahead and bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread