5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Ever do the math on your plan? Sample cost is in the equation and the wait time is not something any company in that business should be proud of, I manage ultra heavy machinery maintenance in the .5 Billion dollar arena for a living. Not my first rodeo with determing maintenance periodicities. You go ahead and do what you do with finding the magical oil change mileage. I’ll be running 100k after you are not,

I'm not sure if you understood me. I'm saying test your oil maybe twice as a way to save you a whole helluva lot of oil changes. They may tell you that there is a lot of life left in your used oil.

I don't have my oil tested, but then again I'm not paying for RP and doing it every 5-6k. I'll probably do the dealership service and have it done every 9k or so with their Penzoil Platinum unless I decide to start taking in my own. If you get 100k miles more than me out of your ram great, that's 100k miles more than I'll need mine to run as it has the lifetime warranty. It won't be bad oil changes that kill a motor that force me to get something else.

You do you dude. No one has to live with the truck but you.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use M1 in all my vehicles . have for years . change every 10-12k never any premature engine failure . some sold with 350k plus and still going . one went 450k lower end was fine blew head gasket . fixed it and sold it. first oil change early unless vehicle has breakin oil. after that I would never change before due interval .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use M1 in all my vehicles . have for years . change every 10-12k never any premature engine failure . some sold with 350k plus and still going . one went 450k lower end was fine blew head gasket . fixed it and sold it. first oil change early unless vehicle has breakin oil. after that I would never change before due interval .
I'd be surprised if we don't all agree Mobil 1 is a good product. But the lack of Chrysler certification for Mobil 1 leaves the door open to a warranty refusal in the unlikely event of a powertrain malfunction related to lubrication / rotating parts / seizure etc. It's ironic that you can use a 'lower quality' Mobil Super oil, since it meets the certification.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went ahead and picked up an M1 EP filter. I'll let them use the Pennzoil Platinum as the change is free, but I'd still prefer this filter thrown in for peace of mind.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
Is PUP what all Ram dealers use? Anybody know if Hayes in Gainesville, GA does or not? I bought the warranty with 6 “free” changes and they told me it was synthetic but I didn’t ask what kind.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is PUP what all Ram dealers use? Anybody know if Hayes in Gainesville, GA does or not? I bought the warranty with 6 “free” changes and they told me it was synthetic but I didn’t ask what kind.

My dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum as their standard, not PUP.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum as their standard, not PUP.
I believe ours uses a synthetic blend as their default (e.g. Pennzoil Gold) and Pennzoil Platinum as their “full synthetic” for an additional fee. They don’t even stock PUP.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I believe ours uses a synthetic blend as their default (e.g. Pennzoil Gold) and Pennzoil Platinum as their “full synthetic” for an additional fee. They don’t even stock PUP.

Same at the dealership I bought mine at and plan to have service at.

rlc2020

Reaction score
My Dealer gives free oil changes for life. I'm not sure the brand, but it is synthetic and they will do every 5k miles. I'm having mine done at 2k to get rid of the break in oil. The service manager said it wasn't a bad idea to do the first one early and they are doing it for free for me too. I will do every 5k after that.

RichT

Reaction score
did mine this past weekend at ~1100 miles. no more then 5 3/4 quarts of oil came out. looked decent though. was tempted to toss it in the lawn mower :rolleyes:

DonC

Reaction score
After reading extensively on this issue I am comfortable with changing the oil at 5,000 mile intervals with an OEM filter and full synthetic oil. Just did my second oil change. The oil life meter on the truck said 53% life left in the oil. At least 6 quarts of used oil came out of the oil pan and filter.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Just did mine at 5000, were you all able to update your my ram maintenance records. I tried to add it but when I hit done it does not show up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just did mine at 5000, were you all able to update your my ram maintenance records. I tried to add it but when I hit done it does not show up.
I just chatted with FCA about this, as I experienced the same issue. You cannot enter ANY punctuation in the description field, aside from a "/". For example, I had to enter "Oil Change Pup 5w20/Mobil 1 M1113a/Fumoto F106sx" for it to work. No dashes, no commas, etc.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
So i figured out it add all my attempts as 0 miles and putting them at the bottom of the maintenance record log. I have tried to edit the mileage but it continues to show 0. God I miss being able to just write in the paper maintenance log and throw it back into the glove box.

So I logged into my account on my desktop and it worked i guess attempting to do it via the crap My Ram app was the issue

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So i figured out it add all my attempts as 0 miles and putting them at the bottom of the maintenance record log. I have tried to edit the mileage but it continues to show 0. God I miss being able to just write in the paper maintenance log and throw it back into the glove box.

So I logged into my account on my desktop and it worked i guess attempting to do it via the crap My Ram app was the issue
I always keep a second - more detailed - log of all maintenance and upgrades on my vehicles using Google Sheets. Easily editable anywhere ;)

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went ahead and picked up an M1 EP filter. I'll let them use the Pennzoil Platinum as the change is free, but I'd still prefer this filter thrown in for peace of mind.
What oil filter did you order? Was it the M1-113A?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What oil filter did you order? Was it the M1-113A?

M1-113A, which is just the newest version of the M1-113. I think either would be fine but the "A" technically is the newest version, and they had the M1-113A in stock at my auto parts store.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is at 972 miles right now and I have an oil change scheduled for 2:30pm today. Should be just over 1000 mile by then as work is 19 miles from my house 1 way.

As an old school hot rodder, it just goes against my nature to leave original oil in a vehicle past 1000 miles. I don't care what the manual says. I want this engine to last me...

After this, every 6000 with synthetic is my plan.

What steveved said. I'll change it at about 1,000 miles and then every 6,000 with full synthetic. Probably Pennzoil Platinum which I've been running in my '15 Mustang GT.

Users who are viewing this thread