5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Runagun

Reaction score
First change will be at 6k, After that will change it every 12k. using Amsoil 100% synthetic.

BTW, Full synthetic and 100% synthetic aren't the same thing.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First change will be at 6k, After that will change it every 12k. using Amsoil 100% synthetic.

BTW, Full synthetic and 100% synthetic aren't the same thing.

Exactly... not too many people are aware of the difference between 'Full' and '100%'.... so you plan on getting the XL and going the full 12K or 1 year?

Runagun

Reaction score
Thought about doing the XL. But sticking with the signature series. It's a little more money. But for a truck I hope to keep for a very very long time. I believe it's worth it. I've been using Signature series on my Honda Odyssey Changing oil every 12-15k miles. I have 240k+ miles on it and It still runs like a dream.

Exactly... not too many people are aware of the difference between 'Full' and '100%'.... so you plan on getting the XL and going the full 12K or 1 year?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did my first oil change at 3000 miles last Friday. i was able to transfer my ecodiesel's 8 remaining synthetic oil changes to my current 2019 vin. the dealership uses full synthetic Pennzoil.

i have noticed an increase of a soild 2 mpg since the oil change from the factory fill. same commute to and from work ~80% stop and go traffic. according to the ave. mpg displayed i'm averaging 17.6 mpg. i hope to eek out a few more 10th's of a mpg as i get closer to the 5000 mile mark.

19BH

Reaction score
These take filter Mopar MO-339? Manual doesn’t say and all the online cross references seem confused as to what Mopar filter the 19 takes

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did my first oil change at 3000 miles last Friday. i was able to transfer my ecodiesel's 8 remaining synthetic oil changes to my current 2019 vin. the dealership uses full synthetic Pennzoil.

i have noticed an increase of a soild 2 mpg since the oil change from the factory fill. same commute to and from work ~80% stop and go traffic. according to the ave. mpg displayed i'm averaging 17.6 mpg. i hope to eek out a few more 10th's of a mpg as i get closer to the 5000 mile mark.
What oil filter did you use? Was it the Pennzoil hpz-167?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the first one done at 3,800 miles. Dealer said I was 1,200 miles early but I told them to change it anyway.

sgtsodo

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, my dealer recommends oil changes at 5k. They even give free changes with every purchase, and still want to do it every 5k instead of 10k or 350 hours. I’m OK with that..

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, my dealer recommends oil changes at 5k. They even give free changes with every purchase, and still want to do it every 5k instead of 10k or 350 hours. I’m OK with that..
My Service Manager also recommended 5000. I only get three free.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Did my first one at the dealership just before 2000 miles. Cheap insurance to get whatever contaminants are in there out of there. No oil in the engine is ever likely have as many contaminants floating around as the first, except maybe the last......

raydi07

Reaction score
As soon as I hit 1000 miles I will change it over to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Then change every 5K miles. In all of my vehicles i usually changed engine oil every 3K and reflushed transmission fluid every 20K. With synthetic we changed the interval to 5K on oil changes. My father taught me this and I bought his 2001 Grand Marquis at 201K miles. It started to nickel & dime him and Mom wanted something newer. Found a 2004 Grand Marquis 1 owner and serviced regularly at his local dealership. Carfax report was very good and he ended up getting it for $4200. I gave him $1500 for the 2001, drove it back to Tennessee and gave it brand new Bosch spark injectors. That was 2 years ago and i only put 11K miles on it. Point is Transmission still shifts smooth, engine runs well, and for long trips (since its a hwy cruiser) i get 29 mpg.
Hopefully I can have the transmission fluid changed every 20K as well on my new Ram. I'll find out at at 1K mark since i want to change the transmission fluid from the factory as well.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
Doing my first one at 2000 miles. Then I will do 5000-7500mile intervals after that. M1 filter (we use them in endurance racing and never had one fail) and PUP or another properly certified 5w20.

Vespid

Reaction score
As soon as I hit 1000 miles I will change it over to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Then change every 5K miles. In all of my vehicles i usually changed engine oil every 3K and reflushed transmission fluid every 20K. With synthetic we changed the interval to 5K on oil changes. My father taught me this and I bought his 2001 Grand Marquis at 201K miles. It started to nickel & dime him and Mom wanted something newer. Found a 2004 Grand Marquis 1 owner and serviced regularly at his local dealership. Carfax report was very good and he ended up getting it for $4200. I gave him $1500 for the 2001, drove it back to Tennessee and gave it brand new Bosch spark injectors. That was 2 years ago and i only put 11K miles on it. Point is Transmission still shifts smooth, engine runs well, and for long trips (since its a hwy cruiser) i get 29 mpg.
Hopefully I can have the transmission fluid changed every 20K as well on my new Ram. I'll find out at at 1K mark since i want to change the transmission fluid from the factory as well.

Just and FYI, surprisingly, Mobil 1 5w-20 is not MS-6395 certified. Mobil Super Synthetic is, but M1 is not. I was a little disappointed to discover this as I have relied on M1 for many years.

Nighthawk

Reaction score
Going to go 2,000 then change to RP with a M1-113A filter every 5-6K

and yes that change periodicity is less than half of what you could do safely using those products

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Going to go 2,000 then change to RP with a M1-113A filter every 5-6K

and yes that change periodicity is less than half of what you could do safely using those products

Expensive hobby. You should get your oil tested when you do your first couple of 5-6k oil changes. They may tell you that you can safely go a lot further.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did mine at 3,017 miles in my garage (despite the offer of 4 free synthetic blend oil changes from my dealer). Based on recommendations from the DIY oil change thread, I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20, a Mobil 1 M1-113A Extended Performance filter, and installed a Fumoto F106SX drain valve while I was at it. My oil life monitor showed 69% remaining at the time.

From this point forward, I'll likely follow the oil life monitor or change the oil annually, whichever comes first. But I typically put on less than 7,000 miles/year.

Nighthawk

Reaction score
Expensive hobby. You should get your oil tested when you do your first couple of 5-6k oil changes. They may tell you that you can safely go a lot further.
Ever do the math on your plan? Sample cost is in the equation and the wait time is not something any company in that business should be proud of, I manage ultra heavy machinery maintenance in the .5 Billion dollar arena for a living. Not my first rodeo with determing maintenance periodicities. You go ahead and do what you do with finding the magical oil change mileage. I’ll be running 100k after you are not,

Users who are viewing this thread