5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
First one at 2500 the rest at 5000 intervals, I dont put that many miles on it so thats why the interval is relatively short milage wise. That will get me about 7-9 months between changes. Trans fluid every 40,000; and gear oil as stated in manual. (unless you back into lakes often)

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the dealer change mine about 3 weeks ago at around 3,800 miles. It was her first oil change. I requested a full synthetic oil change and these ****ers put regular oil in and didn’t even change the oil filter!!!

Army has taught me one thing for sure and that is TOO TRUST BUT VERIFY! I crawled under the truck and looked at the filter and it was cover it dirt and cobwebs and even had a stamp stating factory installed. It also didn’t have a drop of oil on it or around it.

I immediately drove back to the dealer and raised hell. They immediately took the truck in put the correct oil in and new oil filter.

I hate dealerships, I sincerely do

It was the Macon Five Star dealership here in middle Georgia FYI.
How do you know if it’s synthetic or regular oil?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a recommended mileage in the manual for the oil change?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the Owners manual.......

Is there a recommended mileage in the manual for the oil change?
SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE
American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil
Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has
been certified by the American Pe
troleum
Institute (API). The manu
facturer
only recommends API Cer
tified
engine oils.
Engine Oil — Gas Engine
Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
This symbol certifies 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and
Refer to the “Maintenance Plan” for further information.
10W-30 engine oils.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change inter
CAUTION!
vals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is not
for fleet customers.
covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Gasoline Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only rec
ommends
engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.

bravo1

Reaction score
So looking up at the oil filter from these shot's someone in aftermarket may have something here on a relocation adapter.These pictures tell it all why so many 5th gen owners are having issues with this 5th gen Ram 5.7L oil filter location.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 377

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So looking up at the oil filter from these shot's someone in aftermarket may have something here on a relocation adapter.These pictures tell it all why so many 5th gen owners are having issues with this 5th gen Ram 5.7L oil filter location.

It's not bad to get to, you just need a form a funnel or do the bag trick. This is what I did today.

Attachments

• 2018-12-02 10.12.19.jpg
    2018-12-02 10.12.19.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 367

bravo1

Reaction score
I saw almost the same set up by a tech doing one.He also had a funnel coming off the oil drain plug,none got on the stab bar at all..

Highlander_1

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but do people do their own oil changes on new trucks?
I’ve always done it in my older cars but they were well outside warranty and I didn’t want to pay someone else to do it. The dealer told me there is no services included at all, not even an oil change after break-in.
Can you do it yourself in a new truck, is there no requirement to reset a computer or anything?

Yes you can change your own oil,filter. Using acceptable quality oil and filters that meet OEM recommendation. Keeping receipts as proof. It also gives you a sense of pride or bragging rights

kmck94

Reaction score
First one at 2500 the rest at 5000 intervals, I dont put that many miles on it so thats why the interval is relatively short milage wise. That will get me about 7-9 months between changes. Trans fluid every 40,000 and gear oil as stated in manual. (unless you back into lakes often)

Where is trans fluid every 40,000 miles stated in the manual?

79 300

Reaction score
Changing trans fluid and filter in these 8 speeds requires buying a new pan ($$$$) since the filter is integrated into the pan itself. It is not like the old Chrysler 727 trans where you could buy a filter/gasket kit for $20 or so.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is trans fluid every 40,000 miles stated in the manual?

I never seen that in the manual for the 2019 Ram 1500. There is for Coolant flush and change @ 150000 miles and what fluids to add for Transmission but no specification for mileage intervals.

Last edited:

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Changing trans fluid and filter in these 8 speeds requires buying a new pan ($$$$) since the filter is integrated into the pan itself. It is not like the old Chrysler 727 trans where you could buy a filter/gasket kit for $20 or so.

there is THIS aftermarket pan with a replaceable filter. it's still 130$ but it's cheaper than the mopar pan and you can change the filter next time.

although for me the odd's of me keeping the truck long enough to change the trans fluid twice aren't very good, considering i average 5000 miles a year.

ZF recomends 50-75K MIles or 8 years on the fluid.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
Changed mine at 6,800 miles. Will change every 8k-9k moving forward. Full Synthetic

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed mine out at 500miles. It’s my preference, piece of mind & something I’ve done on my other few new vehicles I’ve owned. I’m not one to waste money but the plan is to keep it for the long haul. So any cost effective precautions I will take them. Have to say I’m glad I did!!
Oil out of filter and housing was clean looking. When I pulled drain plug it was super nasty stuff. Could be part break in part casting/machining material. Which ever way the case I’m glad it’s out of there!
Wish I had pics of the oil, was at work and got called when I pulled the plug. I will recheck with a sample out of plug again at 1k just to see.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
For what it’s worth...

Anyone planning to use Royal Purple on their change,the RP website recommends waiting until 2k miles before putting RP in. I just hit 1k and was about to change mine before reading their website.

Jello0123

Reaction score
Just changed mine at 1,100 miles over the weekend. Wanted to do it at 1,000 but wasn't feasible. Part of the reason was to get the original "break in" oil out and the other was to put synthetic in. I have been using Mobil 1 for years. I pick it up at Costco a couple times a year for $10 off which is typically around $24 a case. Gives me peace of mind and my old Silverado ran like a top until I got rid of it so keep on being consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread