5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Spacers

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, appreciation! I think I'm going to try and get the exact 77.8 diam Ram spacers in 1.5" depth. I know 0.3mm is barely a "C" hair, but I'm one for following spec... even if it means waiting or paying more.

I'd be worried about the chevy ones, myself, different tolerances; maybe when stuff heats up or whatever things get looser/tighter. I dunno, not an engineer, but I'm going to wait for the exact Ram spacers as well. "Just to be safe" :)

LNDRCKT

Reaction score
I went with the Stahl steel wheel spacers in 1.5” wanted the extra strength of the steel over the aluminum.

silver billet

Reaction score
Be wary of cheap aluminum spacers, I've read reports of them cracking.

RodRow

Reaction score
Be wary of cheap aluminum spacers, I've read reports of them cracking.
I agree. Bora is likely the only brand I’ll consider. My reading on the spacer materials is that aluminum is better for daily driver/low stress/high speeds where steel is better for high stress/lower speeds (think rock climbing).

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Installed 1.5" Yitamotor spacers yesterday...

Before:
GetAttachmentThumbnail

After:
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
Went out quick while at work and took a couple pics of my truck with the 1.5 Yitamotor spacers from Amazon. I can't speak to the 78.1 vs. 77.8, but I know that the 78.1's fit very snug, and everything is still tight after a week and about 200 miles. I was unfamiliar with spacers in general prior to adding these, and everything I can find seems to lean towards them being fairly same for everyday driving if aluminum, and that a large majority of issues come from improper installation and torquing.
Hope the pics can at the very least help some people decide if they want 1.5's, less or more.

Rebel1.jpg

Rebel2.jpg

Rebel3.jpg

Rebel4.jpg

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went out quick while at work and took a couple pics of my truck with the 1.5 Yitamotor spacers from Amazon. I can't speak to the 78.1 vs. 77.8, but I know that the 78.1's fit very snug, and everything is still tight after a week and about 200 miles. I was unfamiliar with spacers in general prior to adding these, and everything I can find seems to lean towards them being fairly same for everyday driving if aluminum, and that a large majority of issues come from improper installation and torquing.
Hope the pics can at the very least help some people decide if they want 1.5's, less or more.

View attachment 24960

View attachment 24961

View attachment 24962

View attachment 24963
Great pics, nice truck! I was between 1" and 1.5" but your pics are swaying me more to 1.5". The tires look like they're perfectly in line with the flares now.

I agree that 90% of peoples issues with any mods is bad installation. That being said, I personally don't want 0.3mm of material to be the reason I'm in the ditch. Just a personal preference/paranoia.

Lize

Reaction score
Great pics, nice truck! I was between 1" and 1.5" but your pics are swaying me more to 1.5". The tires look like they're perfectly in line with the flares now.

I agree that 90% of peoples issues with any mods is bad installation. That being said, I personally don't want 0.3mm of material to be the reason I'm in the ditch. Just a personal preference/paranoia.
^^^ I was thinking exactly all this.
Not sure about with mud flaps on though, I'm going to wait while I get mine and then give it some more thought.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I think I am going to go with the BORA wheel spacers and Hellwig rear sway bar. Get the look I want. Get little better "planted" feeling hopefully with the sway bar and whatever the extra 2" on each side wider stance adds to the plate.

My brother-in-law (mechanic for 30+ years) also builds monster trucks and other bada$$ hotrods; suggested I put some anti-seize to prevent sticking.

I forgot to ask him but I saw somewhere that dragon mentioned the torque/ft lbs. This should be what manufacturer recommends correct?

I have watched different videos and remember between 120-130 ft/lb torque; just want to be sure. I will have a shop do it as with my beat up back/legs its not worth the days I will be laid up (truly miss wrenching ugh ugh).

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
perfect fit...on a GM :rolleyes:
like runnin' lugcentric wheels without hubcentric rings
View attachment 25054

Yet another "helpful" comment from the peanut gallery... :rolleyes: Where is the ignore button?

For those of you with any skin in the game, my stock wheels fit so tight to the ring on the spacers, in order to get the wheels off after removing the lugs, I had to pound on the sidewalls to break them free. If anything, a couple more blonde ones added to the 78.1 would have been welcome.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
NO sensible reason to install/promote 78.1 lugcentric spacers...akin to aftermarket wheels minus hubcentric rings...both poor choices.
Lugcentricity/increased stud load can lead to vibration, cracked studs or worse.
OEM wheels are hubcentric...why tempt fate?

COYOTE > (3) 77.8 hubcentric Ram DT options or ya can $pend double on Bora

Buy NEW wheels for that wider stance...infinite options that won't break the bank.
OEM wheels...beyond boring
View attachment 25143

I get that you are promoting safety, and I’m not trying to have an argument, but I have to ask to ensure: are you 100% positive about 77.8 actually being on the truck? Because I bought my spacers based off of this post specifically, and with the back and forth between 77.8 and 78.1 I went and used my digital caliper to measure beforehand, and I went and checked a bit ago with another set of calipers from work (I work with aviation maintainers, so all tools are regularly calibrated) and both times I was getting just barely over 78 (less than 78.1 but I don’t remember the exact decimal readout). Also, cursory searches on the internet show the 19 RAM DT having 77.8 and 78.1 through different locations. I want to stick to spec from FCA, but I can’t discount that real world, on my truck, i’m getting right at that 78 mark.

Can anyone else check and see what they are actually seeing on their truck?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that you are promoting safety, and I’m not trying to have an argument, but I have to ask to ensure: are you 100% positive about 77.8 actually being on the truck? Because I bought my spacers based off of this post specifically, and with the back and forth between 77.8 and 78.1 I went and used my digital caliper to measure beforehand, and I went and checked a bit ago with another set of calipers from work (I work with aviation maintainers, so all tools are regularly calibrated) and both times I was getting just barely over 78 (less than 78.1 but I don’t remember the exact decimal readout). Also, cursory searches on the internet show the 19 RAM DT having 77.8 and 78.1 through different locations. I want to stick to spec from FCA, but I can’t discount that real world, on my truck, i’m getting right at that 78 mark.

Can anyone else check and see what they are actually seeing on their truck?
I can vouch that the 78.1 fit snug against the ram's 77.8 wheel bore. I purchased the 2" hubcentric spacers which were 78.1 and even I was skeptical myself and sure enough they fit snug. Like "safe snug".

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’m sure no matter what folks with equally post pro and con of adding spacers. I’ve run them for years on various vehicles and am no way a spacer expert. Just like anything do the research, buy quality and don’t use a “ set it and forget it “ mindset....

Lize

Reaction score
NO sensible reason to install/promote 78.1 lugcentric spacers...akin to aftermarket wheels minus hubcentric rings...both poor choices.
Lugcentricity/increased stud load can lead to vibration, cracked studs or worse.
Completely agree, there is no need to put extra stress on studs which they are not designed for.
I've had a wheel come off a car a few years ago due to incorrect stud torque - and they weren't loose, very luckily the wheel didn't hit anything or anybody so no third party damage or casualties but an experience I would not risk happening again.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
absolutely 100% positive
78.1 fits GM trucks...you followed a thread of misinformation...close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades :ROFLMAO:
If “close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades” then why are my two separate readings with digital calipers only close the the 77.8 AND 78.1?

Users who are viewing this thread