5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Spacers

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
I’m just saying... I have real world evidence from multiple sources, using multiple tools, and measured by myself and aviation mechanics (and both they and their tools have to be precise) that point me towards the 78.1’s being accurate (by less than .1), and you have pictures, gifs, and what seems to be advertising for a different brand but not much else so far. I am asking in all seriousness just to have some of the information backed up because I want to be safe, and I want everyone else to be safe.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
Ram DT 77.8 center bore > believe it...or not!
Okay. Saying the same thing over and over again doesn’t make you correct. Highlighting and increasing font size doesn’t make you correct. This is why several other members PM’d me to say not to listen to you because your information is questionable.

Anyone considering spacers, just be willing to do your research and take the time to inspect your vehicle. Do not take my word, nor anyone else’s word, as gospel. It’ll at least get you ballpark and can be helpful, but it’s always best that you do your due diligence. This is how I was able to come to the conclusion that the 78.1 hubcentric spacers I purchased were the correct option for me: I took the time to find out for myself, pulled my wheel off, and broke out the caliper... and the numbers didn’t lie. If you get spacers, torque them to spec and check them regularly. The spacers are a holdover for me currently because the best option almost always will be a wheel with the correct offset, but i’m holding off on those until I settle on how i’m attacking my suspension.

Lize

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused:
my two separate readings with digital calipers only close the the 77.8 AND 78.1?
point me towards the 78.1’s being accurate (by less than .1)
What was the measurement you made - 78.1x or 78.0x but I note you said earlier it was close to 77.8?
Did you also verify the measurement of the spacers?

Lize

Reaction score
word to the wise...don't buy Yitamotor 78.1
Don't worry, I'm not planning to :)

Just interested in why people think they are correct, other than on here and suspicious sales listings I've found no mention of the suggested alternative size and I don't feel the previous post about the measurements was very clear. Once I get the Rebel and if I decide on spacers then I can make my own measurements and will post on here.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused:

What was the measurement you made - 78.1x or 78.0x but I note you said earlier it was close to 77.8?
Did you also verify the measurement of the spacers?

Sorry for any confusion, probably didn’t proof read my post somewhere along the line. Then again, the post's that I was quoting and contradicting seem to have been "deleted" which in my opinion is a bit shady, but also probably makes it a little difficult to follow.

Prior to purchasing any spacer I pulled the wheel off of my truck and I checked the hub on the truck and hub bore on the wheel. This was done with my personal digital caliper. I don’t have the exact readouts, but both readings were the same. They were both above 78, but less than 78.1. Based on those readings being closer to 78.1 than 77.8 I felt comfortable enough to purchase the Yitamotor spacers to at the very least test out.

Upon receiving the spacers, I again used my personal digital caliper to take measurements, this time of the actual spacer bore and hub. Both readings on those spacers were exact at 78 flat. I personally felt safe to install the spacers with the difference between all of the OEM parts and the spacers being <.1 difference.

I ran the spacers for ~1 week and about 220 miles I believe, and removed the wheels to re-check the torque, and everything came back tight and within torque specs.

Yesterday, after posts saying that information that I and others were pushing was incorrect, unsafe, etc. I decided to be thorough and re-verify everything utilizing different equipment so to ensure that my caliper readings weren't off, and that I wasn't making some sort of mistake. To reiterate from one of those previous posts, I work with aviation mechanics (I am a flight examiner/instructor pilot so work hand in hand with my mechs). I was able to have one of the mechs assist me and pull measurements. We both checked all hub connection points: hub on the truck, the hub bore on the spacer, the hub on the spacer, and the hub bore on the wheel. This was utilizing their measurement equipment, which requires a fairly rigorous calibration standard/inspection window since it is used regularly on planes. During this check, all of the values previously found came back the same, or within .03-.05 of what I was getting from my personal calipers. Regardless, the values for all components read in a range between 78 and <78.1. Now, this mech isn't an automotive mechanic, but the fundamental's are still the same. His two cents were that it was logical that the Yitamotor spacers listed for 78.1 were closer and should provide a tighter fit compared to the other brands which listed the hubs at 77.8. He also said that my logic followed that a 77.8 hub would produce a looser connection in the components, and should theoretically create an increased possibility of extra stress on studs.

Now, I want to reiterate this: If you want to go with a spacer that is listed at 77.8, I completely understand because that is the spec listed from RAM and admittedly most sources have that listed. This thread originally sparked my curiosity to investigate further before I purchased any spacers, and the values I came up with tend to contradict the hub bore being at 77.8, as everything seemed to line up much closer to 78.1. For me, the Yitamotor spacers I purchased happen to be less expensive than the BORA and Coyote spacers, but the money difference between all of the options was not a concern. My concern was for that of myself, my passengers, and the expensive investment that is my truck, and made the $60-$100 price difference a non-factor personally. Based of my results, I am willing to say that I think the Yitamotor is a viable option, but NO ONE SHOULD TAKE ME AT MY WORD because I am just some guy posting on a forum. The best thing anyone can do is gather as much information as they can, be willing to investigate as far as they can on their own, take their own measurements and readings, and make the best decision possible from there. I am just trying to be thorough and spread as much info about my personal experiences and findings to help people out so they can make those good decisions. What irks me is that another poster is using promoting specific brands with specific links, using typical marketing style catch phrases and slogans, and adding check marks, red X's, bold print's and colored words, and diagrams from the spacer manufacturers all in an obvious attempt to catch people's eyes and earn their business... meanwhile calling into question my integrity and/or sensibility while not being able to provide any information to counter otherwise... and then deleting multiple posts from this very thread... if it smells like crap, looks like crap, chances are it's crap. To each their own. I again suggest that everyone does as much research and investigation as they can on their own. I didn't take anyone's word, and in that same respect, no one should accept mine either. I can tell you this, though, I'm willing to stand behind what info i'm putting out and won't be deleting my posts.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, for those of you who say the 78.1 is the correct size, how come none of the sellers of that size list them as a direct fit for the RAM DT?

However, all of the sellers of the 77.8 size specifically list them as a direct fit for the RAM DT.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion, probably didn’t proof read my post somewhere along the line. Then again, the post's that I was quoting and contradicting seem to have been "deleted" which in my opinion is a bit shady, but also probably makes it a little difficult to follow.

Prior to purchasing any spacer I pulled the wheel off of my truck and I checked the hub on the truck and hub bore on the wheel. This was done with my personal digital caliper. I don’t have the exact readouts, but both readings were the same. They were both above 78, but less than 78.1. Based on those readings being closer to 78.1 than 77.8 I felt comfortable enough to purchase the Yitamotor spacers to at the very least test out.

Upon receiving the spacers, I again used my personal digital caliper to take measurements, this time of the actual spacer bore and hub. Both readings on those spacers were exact at 78 flat. I personally felt safe to install the spacers with the difference between all of the OEM parts and the spacers being <.1 difference.

I ran the spacers for ~1 week and about 220 miles I believe, and removed the wheels to re-check the torque, and everything came back tight and within torque specs.

Yesterday, after posts saying that information that I and others were pushing was incorrect, unsafe, etc. I decided to be thorough and re-verify everything utilizing different equipment so to ensure that my caliper readings weren't off, and that I wasn't making some sort of mistake. To reiterate from one of those previous posts, I work with aviation mechanics (I am a flight examiner/instructor pilot so work hand in hand with my mechs). I was able to have one of the mechs assist me and pull measurements. We both checked all hub connection points: hub on the truck, the hub bore on the spacer, the hub on the spacer, and the hub bore on the wheel. This was utilizing their measurement equipment, which requires a fairly rigorous calibration standard/inspection window since it is used regularly on planes. During this check, all of the values previously found came back the same, or within .03-.05 of what I was getting from my personal calipers. Regardless, the values for all components read in a range between 78 and <78.1. Now, this mech isn't an automotive mechanic, but the fundamental's are still the same. His two cents were that it was logical that the Yitamotor spacers listed for 78.1 were closer and should provide a tighter fit compared to the other brands which listed the hubs at 77.8. He also said that my logic followed that a 77.8 hub would produce a looser connection in the components, and should theoretically create an increased possibility of extra stress on studs.

Now, I want to reiterate this: If you want to go with a spacer that is listed at 77.8, I completely understand because that is the spec listed from RAM and admittedly most sources have that listed. This thread originally sparked my curiosity to investigate further before I purchased any spacers, and the values I came up with tend to contradict the hub bore being at 77.8, as everything seemed to line up much closer to 78.1. For me, the Yitamotor spacers I purchased happen to be less expensive than the BORA and Coyote spacers, but the money difference between all of the options was not a concern. My concern was for that of myself, my passengers, and the expensive investment that is my truck, and made the $60-$100 price difference a non-factor personally. Based of my results, I am willing to say that I think the Yitamotor is a viable option, but NO ONE SHOULD TAKE ME AT MY WORD because I am just some guy posting on a forum. The best thing anyone can do is gather as much information as they can, be willing to investigate as far as they can on their own, take their own measurements and readings, and make the best decision possible from there. I am just trying to be thorough and spread as much info about my personal experiences and findings to help people out so they can make those good decisions. What irks me is that another poster is using promoting specific brands with specific links, using typical marketing style catch phrases and slogans, and adding check marks, red X's, bold print's and colored words, and diagrams from the spacer manufacturers all in an obvious attempt to catch people's eyes and earn their business... meanwhile calling into question my integrity and/or sensibility while not being able to provide any information to counter otherwise... and then deleting multiple posts from this very thread... if it smells like crap, looks like crap, chances are it's crap. To each their own. I again suggest that everyone does as much research and investigation as they can on their own. I didn't take anyone's word, and in that same respect, no one should accept mine either. I can tell you this, though, I'm willing to stand behind what info i'm putting out and won't be deleting my posts.
NorthCountryEv,

I for one appreciate your post and understood your previous post.

I read in here over the months that there are employees in here that helped build our trucks; hopefully they can chime in regarding variance of hubs or anyone else that has information to enlighten the subject.

Also curious what the "tolerance" is for the wheel hubs???

Also agree that we all should do our own due diligence with researching etc...

I personally was on the verge of going the Yitamotor route from what I had learned (limited knowledge on subject). I have brother-in-law and my ex's husband-both are licensed mechanics with many many builds(years of first hand experience) under their belts that I trust. I listened to them and decided to go the other route with BORA.

Again, great follow up; if I get a chance to measure mine-I will post information.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I read all that, and get what you're saying. But the layman in me wonders if the 77.8 is required because of tolerances; so just because something CAN fit, doesn't mean the tolerance is meeting specs. Maybe it needs to be a little looser for a reason? Heat? Maybe too tight causes too much stress somehow?

I dunno, but I would encourage EVERYONE reading this thread to follow the precise manufacturer specs, and not just whatever you measure yourself and think "this will fit".

Wheels and brakes keep you on the road. Do not play around with either of those.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read all that, and get what you're saying. But the layman in me wonders if the 77.8 is required because of tolerances; so just because something CAN fit, doesn't mean the tolerance is meeting specs. Maybe it needs to be a little looser for a reason? Heat? Maybe too tight causes too much stress somehow?

I dunno, but I would encourage EVERYONE reading this thread to follow the precise manufacturer specs, and not just whatever you measure yourself and think "this will fit".

Wheels and brakes keep you on the road. Do not play around with either of those.
You beat me by an hour... was going to say the exact same thing. Specs are there for a reason, not just fitment but also for cold, heat and torque.

I'm sure 0.3mm isn't the end of the world and "probably" will never have an issue... "probably" won't get you home from out in the bush with a wheel missing. I guess I see it as 0.3mm is a 3% chance of a problem.

Still doesn't mean we can't be civilized owners and have a mature discussion about modifications on our trucks, @19Jake. I see the humor, but some folks might take you more seriously than others.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You beat me by an hour... was going to say the exact same thing. Specs are there for a reason, not just fitment but also for cold, heat and torque.

I'm sure 0.3mm isn't the end of the world and "probably" will never have an issue... "probably" won't get you home from out in the bush with a wheel missing. I guess I see it as 0.3mm is a 3% chance of a problem.

Still doesn't mean we can't be civilized owners and have a mature discussion about modifications on our trucks, @19Jake. I see the humor, but some folks might take you more seriously than others.
Well said @VaderRebel thanks.

Lize

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response @NorthCountryEvo, your extra post makes sense of a slightly disjointed thread.

As others have said I think tolerances comes into play and of course we haven't factored in the accuracy of the machining of the various brands of spacers.

I'm going to see how my truck looks when it arrives, I'm only half thinking about them for an improvement in appearance. UK law dictates that wheels cannot stick out further than the arches so will assess whether I think 1 or 1.5" spacers will be worth the bother. Realistically any doubts about stress on the studs and the faff of checking the torques will likely put me off, a wheel falling off is no joke, been there, done that.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score

As to the heat, cold, torque, these were my only true concerns. My personal thought process through the whole thing was that if there needed to be the room for possible expansion, contraction, etc, then wouldn’t that begin to verge on negating some of the positive effect of things being hubcentric, and placing more stress on the studs and lugs? Honestly, I don’t know, and it still stands to be a good point. Regardless, the spacers for me are just a temporary thing. Plan is to level or lift in the next 1-2 months and that’ll be accompanied by new shoes with complimentary offsets.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
So it looks like we have options and it a personal decision which way to go. Plus we can get updates with real world results to see if the slightly larger option has any material effect or not. And of course there is always duct tape.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I for one listened to 19Jake and bought the Coyote ones. Did my research, same materials and specs as the Bora but significantly less expensive. I've been running on them for weeks and needless to say no problems. These are not cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I get that you are promoting safety, and I’m not trying to have an argument, but I have to ask to ensure: are you 100% positive about 77.8 actually being on the truck? Because I bought my spacers based off of this post specifically, and with the back and forth between 77.8 and 78.1 I went and used my digital caliper to measure beforehand, and I went and checked a bit ago with another set of calipers from work (I work with aviation maintainers, so all tools are regularly calibrated) and both times I was getting just barely over 78 (less than 78.1 but I don’t remember the exact decimal readout). Also, cursory searches on the internet show the 19 RAM DT having 77.8 and 78.1 through different locations. I want to stick to spec from FCA, but I can’t discount that real world, on my truck, i’m getting right at that 78 mark.

Can anyone else check and see what they are actually seeing on their truck?
Hey NorthCountryEvo,

I am no expert at measuring with my digital caliper but I did remember to measure a hub which came out right at 77.80, unfortunately I did not take the pic (I thought I did sorry-heat index was pushing its way up to 100 when we installed). I did take pic of my attempt at measuring my BORA wheel spacer.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
LOVING MY BORA WHEEL SPACERS!!!!!

I measured multiple times with the foam stuff etc....glad I did. I wanted so much to have 2" all around but went with my measurements of 1.5" front and 2.0" in the rear and am sooooo glad I did. As you can see from the pics of the front passenger tire when it was turned each way you can see the space I had remaining. While this varies due to tire size and in my case the sidewalls were 60 (275/60/20) where others had lower sidewalls of 45 which makes a huge difference.

I put my Hellwig Rear Sway Bar on and drove it around....beautiful!!!! Then we installed the 2 rear wheel spacers that night as it was getting dark. I test drove it with just the rears on...my my my!!!! Next morning we installed the front wheel spacers in the lovely Florida heat (index was reaching 100)!!! Test drove it....chorus sings......aaaah oooo aahhhhhh ahhhhhhh. Loving the look and the feel. I know the Hellwig added the greatness to reducing the body sway; I am sure the 4 extra inches helps with it being wider stance now....every inch helps!!!

I did at the recommendation of my brother-in-law, place anti-seize onto the wheel spacer side that touches the truck hub. I looked at our manual and it said the torque was 130ft/lb which I did for both wheel spacer and lugs. Will recheck them too.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts/in this thread. I am definitely satisfied.

Attachments

• 20190521_115702.jpg
    20190521_115702.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 20190523_104409.jpg
    20190523_104409.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 367
  • Inked20190523_121503_LI.jpg
    Inked20190523_121503_LI.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Inked20190523_121626-1_LI.jpg
    Inked20190523_121626-1_LI.jpg