5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Spacers

Reaction score

these are pretty much the same as the ones I have. I am Canadian so I ordered off Amazon.ca.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I'm Canadian as well, Durham Region in Ontario (Whitby to be exact)

Gandalfgrey

Reaction score
1.5” KSP...I did 130 ft/lbs on spacer and 130 ft/lbs on wheel...Blue locktite but no anti-seize on surfaces, but I did clean them well...You reckon that’s good enough?
Yes that’s fine it’s just hard to knock them off later if you want too , i put dents in the spacers i had on a jeep knocking them off.

Gandalfgrey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...Do you pull the wheels off to re-check the torque on the spacers themselves after 100 miles or so, or just check torque on the wheel lug nuts?
Yes you are only checking to see if the spacers nuts are loose so if you torqued at 130foot pounds you check it at 120 or 125 because they have lock-tite on them is why you don’t check at 130 you would break the lock-tite loose and would need to completely remove them and start over. I also check the torque on the wheels after rotation at around 50 miles or if anyone else puts my wheels on i check them in the parking lot

Reaction score
nice...close to Jeep territory ;)
We visit Bobcaygeon/Mindon at least once a season.

Yes that right it is. I used to hit Bobcaygeon/Minden all the time when I have my ATV. Bancroft was nicer for mudding with the ATVs tho. I find Minden has too much rock, but good for the Jeeps.

So everyone says red lock-tite. Are there not problems trying to remove them down the road with the red lock-tite? Bora says no lock-tite and I'm sure that is what I will end up buying, I'm sure... Wonder why they say no lock-tite, it doesn't do anything to the spacer.

Is blue not good enough?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What should I expect to pay for Spacer, stock tires put on new wheels, and balance installation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeper

Reaction score
Yes that right it is. I used to hit Bobcaygeon/Minden all the time when I have my ATV. Bancroft was nicer for mudding with the ATVs tho. I find Minden has too much rock, but good for the Jeeps.

So everyone says red lock-tite. Are there not problems trying to remove them down the road with the red lock-tite? Bora says no lock-tite and I'm sure that is what I will end up buying, I'm sure... Wonder why they say no lock-tite, it doesn't do anything to the spacer.

Is blue not good enough?
I'm sure blue would work fine...I've always used red and had no issues removing them when needed. Brass wire brush cleans up the threads after!

Reaction score
So I emailed Motorsport (BORA) about the use of Loctite and here is the response I got (for a company that is well known with high-end spacers, I feel their responses are a little less then professional).. The responses haven't been rude, delayed or uninformative but they don't seem as professional and the lack proper grammar. I'm not a grammar police kind of guy, but when a company can't write an email with correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and odd rhetorical questions it makes me wonder. Now I sound like a KAREN haha.

"The hardware is torqued to over 100 lbs. if anything is coming loose do you think a little loctite is going to hold anything together? It will do nothing

The studs in the spacer are pressed in. Sometimes when going to remove lug nuts it can hold it up enough that the stud breaks loose inside the spacer. Then there is real trouble. It’s not often but it does happen. Lots of guys use air tools when we specifically say not to. Air tools plus loctite is a bad combo. "

So they never addressed my question about voiding warranty if you use Loctite, but I do agree with some of the things he did say. But what kind of company says "do you think a little Loctite is going to hold anything together"

Anyhow there you go, that is Motorsports Tech (BORAS) answer to why they don't tell you to use Loctite.... Why it voids warranty, well they didn't say.

Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I emailed Motorsport (BORA) about the use of Loctite and here is the response I got (for a company that is well known with high-end spacers, I feel their responses are a little less then professional).. The responses haven't been rude, delayed or uninformative but they don't seem as professional and lack proper grammar.

"The hardware is torqued to over 100 lbs. if anything is coming loose do you think a little loctite is going to hold anything together? It will do nothing

The studs in the spacer are pressed in. Sometimes when going to remove lug nuts it can hold it up enough that the stud breaks loose inside the spacer. Then there is real trouble. It’s not often but it does happen. Lots of guys use air tools when we specifically say not to. Air tools plus loctite is a bad combo. "

So they never addressed my question about voiding warranty if you use Loctite, but I do agree with some of the things he did say. But what kind of company says "do you think a little Loctite is going to hold anything together"

Anyhow there you go, that is Motorsports Tech (BORAS) answer to why they don't tell you to use Loctite.... Why it voids warranty, well they didn't say.

Makes sense though...

Reaction score
Makes sense though...

For sure 100% I agree with what he says.. That is why I would be a little worried about using RED Locktite, if you need power tools or heat to remove a bolt from RED Locktite I would worry about the studs spinning inside of the spacer if they were to brake free even though they are pressed in. If they happens you will be scratching your head trying to figure out a way to remove the nut from the spinning stud.

As for the rhetorical question, I do believe Loctite would do something (hence him talking about the stud breaking loose inside the spacer and air tools + Loctite is a bad combo") so even though he said it would do nothing, at the same time he is hinting that it would cause issues with getting nuts off.. I don't think BLUE Loctite would be an issue but RED I would be a little apprehensive about.

I think, as it was stated before, people put it on for piece of mind or they are lazy and don't check torque periodically. Me, I don't mind check the torque every 5000km or so. We shall see.

Jeeper

Reaction score
Makes sense though...

This guy makes no sense. You DO NOT apply loctite to the studs pressed in the spacer....you apply loctite to the factory studs. Now if a stud that is pressed in the spacer spins by simply removing the wheel lug nut then the spacer was junk to begin with. The top brand spacer manufacturers in the offroad industry all recommend the use of thread locker. I will say that even with thread lock there was one stud in my over 12 years of running spacers that was "loose" when doing my regular interval torque check....only one! These were on a Jeep that is used for some fairly severe rock crawling with very heavy 37" Toyos and racing beadlocks.

Reaction score
Good point that Bora guy don’t think we would put locktite on the spacer lugs does he ?

I'm not sure if that is what he was thinking when I emailed him or not, I never told him where the Loctite was being used, just asked why it voids warranty. So based on that, I assume he thought that I was talking about Loctite on the spacer studs. While I was still emailing him back and fourth, he did say in the email about putting Loctite on the factory studs that are on steel hub is a different story. So with that being said, I think they have "voids warranty" for the Loctite is to cover their *** if some dummy does Loctite the wheel nuts to the aluminum spacer. So voiding the warranty has nothing to do with using Loctite on the stock stud going into the steel hub.

But he does still maintain (and I agree with him) that the use of the impact guns on the studs that are pressed into the spacer is not a good idea. They still highly recommend the use of hand ratchets and hand torque wrenches. The impact gun could over torque and possibly spin the pressed stud in the wheel spacer.

Jeeper

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that is what he was thinking when I emailed him or not, I never told him where the Loctite was being used, just asked why it voids warranty. So based on that, I assume he thought that I was talking about Loctite on the spacer studs. While I was still emailing him back and fourth, he did say in the email about putting Loctite on the factory studs that are on steel hub is a different story. So with that being said, I think they have "voids warranty" for the Loctite is to cover their *** if some dummy does Loctite the wheel nuts to the aluminum spacer. So voiding the warranty has nothing to do with using Loctite on the stock stud going into the steel hub.

But he does still maintain (and I agree with him) that the use of the impact guns on the studs that are pressed into the spacer is not a good idea. They still highly recommend the use of hand ratchets and hand torque wrenches. The impact gun could over torque and possibly spin the pressed stud in the wheel spacer.
agree 100% with latter statement...I never use an impact for torque. Always use a quality torque wrench.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1.5”Spacer on a stock wheel is equivalent to a -19 offset?

saylor

Reaction score
you dont lube the threads when doing torque as it changes the friction and your torque wont be really what it says you can overdo it easier

Users who are viewing this thread