5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Here's a question... What is the maintenance alternative if you don't run a catch can? When build up occurs, how can it be cleaned and is that cost/energy/time more or less than running a catch can?

SColang22

Reaction score
Here's a question... What is the maintenance alternative if you don't run a catch can? When build up occurs, how can it be cleaned and is that cost/energy/time more or less than running a catch can?
It’s definitely going to be more as you are taking off your manifold at a minimum

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I believe you could "suck" or introduce seafoam into the intake? I did this on an old MB I owned but I haven't looked at my intake on this truck to see if an available vacuum line exists. I bet someone in the 4th gen world or other hemi sites has a write up on this.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Catch cans are cheap. The alternative is a full throttle body/air intake cleaning which cost >$150 if done properly and professionally.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Catch cans are cheap. The alternative is a full throttle body/air intake cleaning which cost >$150 if done properly and professionally.
So is it just the air intake tube and throttle body that get build up? If so I think it would be pretty easy to take both of them off and apply some spray cleaner. If the build up occurs on the inside of the engine I assume it would be more difficult to clean and I would not know how to go about that.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So is it just the air intake tube and throttle body that get build up? If so I think it would be pretty easy to take both of them off and apply some spray cleaner. If the build up occurs on the inside of the engine I assume it would be more difficult to clean and I would not know how to go about that.
The valves are the biggest issue, but only for DI engines that do not get a gasoline overwash to keep the valves clean. As I stated, an OCC is cheap and worth it if you plan to keep the truck for a while. Are you hung up on cost? If you bought a $50K+ truck, I would think you have a $100 or so to buy a decent catch can.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
The valves are the biggest issue, but only for DI engines that do not get a gasoline overwash to keep the valves clean. As I stated, an OCC is cheap and worth it if you plan to keep the truck for a while. Are you hung up on cost? If you bought a $50K+ truck, I would think you have a $100 or so to buy a decent catch can.
Thank you for the info. I have no problem buying a catch can I'm just trying to weigh my options. It sounds like I could get the can to keep things clean and empty around twice per oil change. Or I could clean my throttle body and add fuel system cleaner now and again to get the same result. Its just a matter of which is more effort for the desired effect.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I have no problem buying a catch can I'm just trying to weigh my options. It sounds like I could get the can to keep things clean and empty around twice per oil change. Or I could clean my throttle body and add fuel system cleaner now and again to get the same result. Its just a matter of which is more effort for the desired effect.
Honestly, Seafoam is more fun!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So where can you get a catch can for the 5.7?
There are a few companies that make them as a custom install kit. The best designed custom installation kit is the Mishimoto.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Honestly, Seafoam is more fun!
You might violate HOA regs from all the smoke generated :D I honestly forgot about seafoam and got caught up in the catch can craze. I'm happy with the catch can though. Quick install and you can actually see what is being prevented from going into your intake. I get a sense of satisfaction from that just like changing furnace filters... which i am doing tomorrow. Hurray!

pinkerton

Reaction score
I believe you could "suck" or introduce seafoam into the intake? I did this on an old MB I owned but I haven't looked at my intake on this truck to see if an available vacuum line exists. I bet someone in the 4th gen world or other hemi sites has a write up on this.

Last edited:

pinkerton

Reaction score
The alternative is do nothing because the oil passing through is harmless. If it was necessary to 'catch' it, then the OE would provide.

Bighorned

Reaction score
The alternative is do nothing because the oil passing through is harmless. If it was necessary to 'catch' it, then the OE would provide.
tell that to the 2004 5.3 suburban's intake I pulled off that had a ton of oil in it from blow by. I actually poured it out because it was in the valleys of the intake. Nothing else wrong with motor. Had 187,000 miles on it. Was fixing a knock sensor code, Bottom line catch cans do work, and they do help. Is it going to kill your motor not to have one....no but for the money i'll take the piece of mind that extra crap like condensation and oil are not going where they were not intended to due to emissions standards now.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I usually leave things bone stock however that’s not because I believe that OE has thought of everything. Usually the bean counters will negate something that is needed.
I’m good with the occasional use of a quality fuel system cleaner and the regular use of top-tier fuels instead of the corner Circle K, 7-11 or other “discount” place.
(Caveat - I’m not an enthusiast, don’t ever stress the engine and have only kept one vehicle for 6 years. Everything else has been traded off even earlier (from 1 to 5 years) because of “grass is greener itis”.)

pinkerton

Reaction score
tell that to the 2004 5.3 suburban's intake I pulled off that had a ton of oil in it from blow by. I actually poured it out because it was in the valleys of the intake. Nothing else wrong with motor. Had 187,000 miles on it. Was fixing a knock sensor code, Bottom line catch cans do work, and they do help. Is it going to kill your motor not to have one....no but for the money i'll take the piece of mind that extra crap like condensation and oil are not going where they were not intended to due to emissions standards now.
I respect your opinion but still don't see the harm caused by the oil.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but still don't see the harm caused by the oil.

From “ericthecarguy”, solving idle problems topic:

CLEANING THROTTLE BODIES
21JUN
“I DO NOT RECOMMEND REMOVAL OF THE THROTTLE BODY TO CLEAN IT, EVER. Especially if you have a DBW (Drive By Wire) throttle. People come to me all the time saying that they’ve done this and an almost equal number report problems worse than what they had before the cleaning. Heed this warning. You don’t need to remove a throttle body to clean it. If you have a DBW throttle body, DO NOT MOVE THE THROTTLE PLATE MANUALLY TO CLEAN IT, especially with the key in the ON position. This will confuse the computer and it will have to be reset in order for the engine to start and run again. In fact, this is the same thing that might happen if you remove the throttle body to clean it. Once you find yourself in this position, you’re going to have to find someone with the proper scan tool to relearn your throttle position.”

Users who are viewing this thread