5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Intake valve face inside combustion chamber, yes had carbon on it

The valve face contacts the seat. The part exposed the chamber is the backside or back of the valve which I would expect to have carbon on it. heavy oil into the intake will cause a valve in the seat to rub together and create a groove on the face of the valve otherwise all the oil is going to do is effect performance.

Last edited:

orange01z28

Reaction score
Ok, this is a a long thread

Has anyone done this on a V6? Are they as necessary due to the difference in combustion chamber design?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Mishimoto offers them for the Jeeps, but they don't list one specific for the 3.6 in the 1500. Maybe a 5.7 can would work?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone done this on a V6? Are they as necessary due to the difference in combustion chamber design?

You may want to do some research on your specific model year V6. I've read some of the 3.6 Pentastar V6 engines had two PCV outputs; if thats the case, you'd need two catch cans. Only doing one for one of the PCV lines would only catch 50% of the oil. Hopefully the V6 design in the Ram is slightly different than some of the Jeeps I've been reading about, and you only have one PCV line.

I've seen a few catch cans for the 3.6 in the Challenger/Charger/300, but none for the Ram. You may have to call up Billet technologies or UPR (or others) and ask.

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The valve face contacts the seat. The part exposed the chamber is the backside or back of the valve which I would expect to have carbon on it. heavy oil into the intake will cause a valve in the seat to rub together and create a groove on the face of the valve otherwise all the oil is going to do is affect performance.
I don’t disagree, though that doesn’t seem to be a issue on gen3 hemis that I’ve seen. It’s possible certainly, again fuel entering chamber and flowing on valve will remove or drastically reduce that. Still the main concern is build up on piston top, chamber of head and valve faces.

BowDown

Reaction score
I don’t disagree, though that doesn’t seem to be a issue on gen3 hemis that I’ve seen. It’s possible certainly, again fuel entering chamber and flowing on valve will remove or drastically reduce that. Still the main concern is build up on piston top, chamber of head and valve faces.

It is, that's why I said as much. The bigger issue is the lowering of the octane rating

whetrick1

Reaction score

Your right the fuel will dilute the blow by and drop the octane of the gas entering the combustion chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chanyote66

Reaction score
I recently installed my catch can at 2000 miles on the odo, 3 miles after my first dealer oil change. now, 7012 miles on the odo, 5012 miles down, my catch can has collected almost exactly 100ml of oil/stuff. no solids that I can see, but definitely more oil than I was expecting. has any one else actually measured the collected material? I left it at work in a beaker for 3 weeks and had no separation so it appears that there is no artifacts of water or other fluids that would easily settle from the oil.

5.7 non e-torque (shouldn't make a difference though)

BowDown

Reaction score
I have this system on my Corvette, gonna buy the same for the truck

JCebula

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses everyone I really appreciate them. So what I take away is this: It's not a necessity. It will help your engine long term but it's not going hurt anything if I don't do it either. I've had one engine have to have the top end replaced years ago due to sludge the push rods started to go. And I was doing the oil changes I just didn't use synthetic like they wanted me to. Fortunately for me they couldn't blame it on the oil so it was done under warranty. But the mechanic said it was due to not using synthetic in the particular engine. So I think I will install one when I get my truck this summer. Just as a preventative measure since the Hemi's are known to have a little more "blow by or whatever term you wish to use".
I'm currently swapping a 5.7 hemi on a 2014 ram with 90k. It lost a lifter and ruined the camshaft. Oil was like mud. I'd like to note the both the original engine and the replacement engine have alot of gunk in the intake manifolds.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
alot of gunk in the intake manifolds.

Yes, my magnum had goo... drooling off of its throttle body which is what drove me to catch can this truck. Im not worried about the octane decrease, or rare chance of carbon buildup on the piston/head, it is just to keep the intake assembly as clean as possible.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
^^^^ I wish I would of saved all collection from start. Just for my own stats.
I work at a national laboratory... collecting samples and date is a daily life for me... and my oil samples, and catch can drain container sit on my desk and gets a lot of "oooh what is that" until they realize its just engine oil :ROFLMAO:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I recently installed my catch can at 2000 miles on the odo, 3 miles after my first dealer oil change. now, 7012 miles on the odo, 5012 miles down, my catch can has collected almost exactly 100ml of oil/stuff. no solids that I can see, but definitely more oil than I was expecting. has any one else actually measured the collected material? I left it at work in a beaker for 3 weeks and had no separation so it appears that there is no artifacts of water or other fluids that would easily settle from the oil.

5.7 non e-torque (shouldn't make a difference though)
I consistently get about 1/2cup per OCI and considered sending mine in for an oil sample analysis but figured it was a waste since it comes from the same system as what is sampled in the crank case/oil pan. It is essentially the same engine oil sampled from a different location.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I have this system on my Corvette, gonna buy the same for the truck

I didn’t pay that much for my Mishimoto oil catch can and it has a 7 ounce can. And comes with custom mount and hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread