5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
tell that to the 2004 5.3 suburban's intake I pulled off that had a ton of oil in it from blow by. I actually poured it out because it was in the valleys of the intake. Nothing else wrong with motor. Had 187,000 miles on it. Was fixing a knock sensor code, Bottom line catch cans do work, and they do help. Is it going to kill your motor not to have one....no but for the money i'll take the piece of mind that extra crap like condensation and oil are not going where they were not intended to due to emissions standards now.
Maybe GM sees this as a form of secondary air filtration, just like the old oil bath air filters.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The alternative is do nothing because the oil passing through is harmless. If it was necessary to 'catch' it, then the OE would provide.

Its not harmless, depending on your driving style, the oil will go through the intake and into the intake port to the intake valves. This oil on the intake valves will act as a lapping compound cause the intake valves to wear a groove on the face of the valve where it contacts the seat. I had this happen on an LSX engine and ended up replacing a $1000 set of titanium intake valves. Granted this happened over a period of 8000 miles of heavy race use, many 1/2 mile airport race events but it happened because of this none the less.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I usually leave things bone stock however that’s not because I believe that OE has thought of everything. Usually the bean counters will negate something that is needed.
I’m good with the occasional use of a quality fuel system cleaner and the regular use of top-tier fuels instead of the corner Circle K, 7-11 or other “discount” place.
(Caveat - I’m not an enthusiast, don’t ever stress the engine and have only kept one vehicle for 6 years. Everything else has been traded off even earlier (from 1 to 5 years) because of “grass is greener itis”.)

I had an intake valve spring break on my 2003 5.7 HEMI this past January, that caused the engine to misfire then backfire through the intake; actually the intake valve was open when the cylinder fired and the combustion process ended up occuring in the intake which blew it the F apart
05f1fbef17404ecd858c55fe8c3ad874.jpeg

77450b2cb5324765afe587a42fd5247f (1).jpeg

6c0d7eac1d3b4e78b150c59babc5da04.jpeg

You can see the oil film on the inside of the intake and down the intake ports. The biggest thing this will cause for most people is the oil entering the combustion chamber and reducing the octane of the fuel (oil mixed with fuel lowers the fuels octane). This will reduce power and in extreme cases cause detonation due to the reduced octane and damage a piston, pit or worse crack it or break a ring land. I'd be more concerned about this scenario than what happened on my LSX engine. When I pulled the intake, wet oil was dripping from it

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember peeps it’s about the stuff that goes into the combustion chamber. It’s not about the valves

BowDown

Reaction score
Remember peeps it’s about the stuff that goes into the combustion chamber. It’s not about the valves
Correct! The valves get washed by the fuel since we are not dealing with a DI engine so not a valve issue.

Either of you ever pulled the heads on an engine that passed oil into the intake and looked at the valves?

mrclarkinc

Reaction score
A catch can is the same as an oil/air separator. Personal preference really has nothing to do with it. If it did, race teams wouldn't use them and swear by them. Think about that.

The 5.7 is notorious for a lot of blow by. If you don't know what that is, look it up. A catch can "catches" blow by before it gunks up the intake on the engine.

Will a catch can give you a performance boost? No. But it will make your engine run much, much cleaner and much, much more efficiently.

Where the "personal preference" comes in, is do you want a clean, efficient running engine or do you want a gunked up turd. Your choice.

I personally won't run a Hemi without a catch can. Especially the 5.7.

ETA: If there were no need for a catch can or oil/air separator, Mopar/SRT wouldn't factory fit the Hellcat, Redeye or Demon with one. Yes, those have the SC 6.2 and are much higher performance and I'd argue with anyone who says the 5.7 can't perform at the same levels. Again, clean engine vs dirty engine - your choice.

Thanks for the info. Why doesn’t Ram install these stock?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That my friend is an Amazon $40 special. Works just like the expensive billet tech ones.
Not exactly! There are typically several differences between the "cheap" OCC's and the higher quality OCC's. Look at the design of the Mishimoto as an example. There is solid engineering that went into that can and they don't work the same. I used to be a "cheap" Amazon/eBay OCC can guy myself YEARS ago until I did my research and saw the light. If you can afford a $50K+ truck, you can spend a little more for a great quality OCC...just sayin;)

ram0686

Reaction score
Not exactly! There are typically several differences between the "cheap" OCC's and the higher quality OCC's. Look at the design of the Mishimoto as an example. There is solid engineering that went into that can and they don't work the same. I used to be a "cheap" Amazon/eBay OCC can guy myself YEARS ago until I did my research and saw the light. If you can afford a $50K+ truck, you can spend a little more for a great quality OCC...just sayin;)

Did you have any problems with the cheap oil catch cans? I got one. Seems ok.??

Bighorned

Reaction score
Update: Checked the catch can after 3000 miles. There was some oil in there. Enough that I don't want it in my intake etc. It works and its a good upgrade. I didn't measure it sorry.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you have any problems with the cheap oil catch cans? I got one. Seems ok.??
They will all catch oil, gas and water (condensation). The issue is really how they catch it and some do far better than others based on the design of the inner workings of the can.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Why doesn’t Ram install these stock?

I asked my service manager the same question and he told me they don't because most of your customers won't drain them and they'll get full and start putting the junk right through your intake like you didn't have one in the first place. I drain mine every 15 hundred miles. Takes about 5 mins with a drain petcock in the bottom of it.
27b6069361c4696cc1963cba78035217.jpg

6be23831c2642ea086ffbc75ab8ae4ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Like whetrick1 “I drain mine every 15 hundred miles. Takes about 5 mins with a drain petcock in the bottom of it.” And there is always some oil coming out.

the petcock makes it super easy to drain as there is a hose on the end and just drain it into a plastic bottle/jug. No mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online