5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still haven't installed mine yet, it is sitting in the box in the Garage staring at me every time I grab a beer... Maybe I will put it in soon, or if anyone wants to come over and assist I will offer free beer(s) (depending on the time to install multiple beers may be needed). LOL :ROFLMAO:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Still haven't installed mine yet, it is sitting in the box in the Garage staring at me every time I grab a beer... Maybe I will put it in soon, or if anyone wants to come over and assist I will offer free beer(s) (depending on the time to install multiple beers may be needed). LOL :ROFLMAO:

It takes less than 30 minutes. I put mine on and hooked it up in about 10-15 mins and I was taking my time.
6370688d55efb116370cdcb7308b7af5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonB

Reaction score
This is why a catch can is a good idea...

750mi

Attachments

• D01B8BB0-C5D2-4AB1-BB7A-545DC4072804.jpeg
    D01B8BB0-C5D2-4AB1-BB7A-545DC4072804.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 159

SColang22

Reaction score
This is why a catch can is a good idea...

750mi
I think this is where people get the misconception. That's a few ounces compared to the gallons of fuel and the amount of oil that the truck burned through. When that oil is passed back through the manifold 98% is burned back off. The amount that gets left on the manifold is so small. I would never say an oil catch can doesn't do anything but in a N/A engine its not as beneficial as people think. I use a catch can but that's because I'm a clean freak.

JasonB

Reaction score
I just prefer fuel and air to mix for combustion...

i have a buddy with 200k on his 2012 Ram 5.7 without a catch can no issues with the truck.

I have had a can on all my cars I could find a good one for...

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didnt look like any of it was water... oil and water dont mix and there was no layer nor was it milky
I was just curious, have seen other videos where they did show water present. Did you let it settle for a while before disposing?

Helmetface

Reaction score
I was just curious, have seen other videos where they did show water present. Did you let it settle for a while before disposing?

While there may be some occurrence of water as it settles (which happens relatively quickly), water is definitely much more present in the colder months. At least, this is how it has always been in my vehicles.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s put on real tight so you better break it lose and unscrew it one time before installing it. I bought a drain valve for an air compressor and and it screwed right in after I removed the plug in the bottom of the catch can. If you take the plug out and take it with you to match it to the valve. Home Depot or Lowe’s will have them for around 4.00 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you remove the plug from the bottom? Mine is on so tight that I can’t seem to get it to break loose.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They use Teflon thread tape to seal it. Whatever you attach to it you also need to use thread tape.
That makes sense now! Wish I would’ve known that from the jump. I tried to look for instructions on how to remove it but had no luck. I’m using the same valve you recommended but painting that blue handle black prior to install...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That makes sense now! Wish I would’ve known that from the jump. I tried to look for instructions on how to remove it but had no luck. I’m using the same valve you recommended but painting that blue handle black prior to install...
Don’t forget to use liquid thread lock on the screw that holds the blue knob on when you reinstall it after painting!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I take my truck in for a regular oil change is there any reason I would need to remove the catch can before taking it in? I think I’m going to install the eBay catch can and won’t mind emptying it but I don’t want to uninstall and reinstall before and after each service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread