5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

Neokane

Reaction score
I've had my mishimoto catchcan for nearly 2 years.. I've noticed the hoses have started to crack. I wonder if there is a better hose option to use?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my mishimoto catchcan for nearly 2 years.. I've noticed the hoses have started to crack. I wonder if there is a better hose option to use?
It happens over time. As security said, I’d definitely contact Mishimoto first. See if they will help you out. If not, replace them with emissions/vapor approved hose.

Neokane

Reaction score
Yes. The hoses that came from mishimoto. I have emailed them. Will wait for their response.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of debate about whether catch cans are necessary.
1. In this particular case, I don't buy the argument that the manufacturer would install them if they were necessary as they know what's best for the engine. I agree that they know best, but if they were not being forced to ventilate the crankcase into the intake, they would not do it. But since emission regulations require it, they do so. And they are not going to install a catch can which would require a certain level of DIY maintenance that the overwhelming majority of owners don't want to do.
2. I've had numerous V8 engines over the years and all but ONE of them started detonating after a few thousand miles, just cruising down the highway. In all cases, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the engine. It was so annoying to hear my engine rattling as I cruise down the road, especially with winter gas, and there was nothing I could do. Yes, I could run 93 octane but who wants to do that. My view: A catch can MIGHT prevent or delay carbon build-up that could be causing this. So I'm willing to spend $200 on the chance that it will help. If I end up with detonation in a vehicle again, I will go insane. I have a hunch that the 5.7 Hemis are prone to detonation since 89 octane is recommended.

There is no harm to the catch can, right?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of debate about whether catch cans are necessary.
1. In this particular case, I don't buy the argument that the manufacturer would install them if they were necessary as they know what's best for the engine. I agree that they know best, but if they were not being forced to ventilate the crankcase into the intake, they would not do it. But since emission regulations require it, they do so. And they are not going to install a catch can which would require a certain level of DIY maintenance that the overwhelming majority of owners don't want to do.
2. I've had numerous V8 engines over the years and all but ONE of them started detonating after a few thousand miles, just cruising down the highway. In all cases, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the engine. It was so annoying to hear my engine rattling as I cruise down the road, especially with winter gas, and there was nothing I could do. Yes, I could run 93 octane but who wants to do that. My view: A catch can MIGHT prevent or delay carbon build-up that could be causing this. So I'm willing to spend $200 on the chance that it will help. If I end up with detonation in a vehicle again, I will go insane. I have a hunch that the 5.7 Hemis are prone to detonation since 89 octane is recommended.

There is no harm to the catch can, right?
No harm at all!!!

Ramjack

Reaction score
You’re right. My bad. Mid grade
I was under the impression that using a higher octane than recommended will leave more crud in your EGR and result in the engine gradually needing even more octane to avoid detonation. Is this a myth?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was under the impression that using a higher octane than recommended will leave more crud in your EGR and result in the engine gradually needing even more octane to avoid detonation. Is this a myth?
I'm not expert, so until someone with knowledge comes along, here's my understanding:
1. The higher the octane, the more the gasoline resists detonation.
2. Later detonation means more compression before spark.
3. More compression means more power per stroke.
4. Modern detonation (knock) sensors adjust the timing on the fly.

I cannot imagine more crud in the EGR due to higher octane fuel (later spark).
Immediately upon knock (detonation), the ECM (ECU, whatever it's called in these vehicles) immediately adjusts the timing of the spark.

^^^
Add salt. Not worth more than .02. YMMV. Etc.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never heard that one...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not expert, so until someone with knowledge comes along, here's my understanding:
1. The higher the octane, the more the gasoline resists detonation.
2. Later detonation means more compression before spark.
3. More compression means more power per stroke.
4. Modern detonation (knock) sensors adjust the timing on the fly.

Immediately upon knock (detonation), the ECM (ECU, whatever it's called in these vehicles) immediately adjusts the timing of the spark.

^^^
Resistance to detonation also means it takes more to ignite it. Having the combustion start later in the stroke leaves potential for an incomplete burn as the fuel has less time to burn before piston goes down and valves open.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Resistance to detonation also means it takes more to ignite it. Having the combustion start later in the stroke leaves potential for an incomplete burn as the fuel has less time to burn before piston goes down and valves open.
That should show up as running rich on the O2 sensors, which should then cause the ECU to lean out the AFR...assuming our trucks monitor AFR. I can't find anything definitive on what flavor of magic is in the tuning.

Ramjack

Reaction score

^^^
The crud in the EGR is supposedly caused by the higher octane fuel not burning completely.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I've heard this, but I've also heard that the higher octane does not cause a delayed burn but just helps ensure that the fuel does not ignite before the spark occurs, which is when the burn is supposed to start. In other words whether it's 87 or 93 octane, if neither fuel is igniting before the spark (i.e. proper running conditions) both fuels will ignite at the time of spark and will compete their burn at the same time. Sounds logical but I really don't know.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thing our trucks don’t have an EGR. 93 burns cleaner than 87 or 89 as well.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Good thing our trucks don’t have an EGR. 93 burns cleaner than 87 or 89 as well.
Thanks, didn't know about no EGR. What technology has replaced the EGR?
Regarding 93 burning cleaner, I've read that this is a myth also. But I'm no expert.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, didn't know about no EGR. What technology has replaced the EGR?
Regarding 93 burning cleaner, I've read that this is a myth also. But I'm no expert.
Variable cam timing is used in place of EGR.

Users who are viewing this thread