5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
1/2" should be right
Plan on taking a swing at installing my can tomorrow after all pads and oil on my wife's Acadia. Guess ill find out then, it didn't look like what I had would fit, i'm used to using barb fittings and it looks like this needs clamps.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Plan on taking a swing at installing my can tomorrow after all pads and oil on my wife's Acadia. Guess ill find out then, it didn't look like what I had would fit, i'm used to using barb fittings and it looks like this needs clamps.
The Mishimoto I bought came with hoses and clamps. Which catch can do you have?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a Team RXP catch can(s).
Was going to take a swing at it but after doing front and rear brake pads + oil change on the wife's Acadia, I ran willpower when I went to look at the oil filter location on the Ram as I was going to do a quick change before trying to add the can...

MO Rebel

Reaction score

You ever had any issues with the clamps not securing tight enough to keep it from seeping out? I had that issue on my 2013 F-150 until I heat sealed some Ford snap connectors to the hoses.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You ever had any issues with the clamps not securing tight enough to keep it from seeping out? I had that issue on my 2013 F-150 until I heat sealed some Ford snap connectors to the hoses.
Nope, no issues with that.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Installed my Mishimoto catch can today. Very high quality product. Received everything I needed and it was all individually wrapped and protected with bubble wrap. Definitely get what you pay for. About as easy an install as you could hope for. EA7EC5D0-5466-470B-990A-3B46E94FAF25.jpeg 348E03F3-4A89-480A-9964-256E93B53059.jpeg A4F864C7-347C-4A8C-A7A6-6063CE273667.jpeg 160C1920-C098-4A7C-B6E3-F749A4074FEF.jpeg

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Late to the party on this but...are these worth installing at about 48K in miles or has that ship already sailed?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any benefit you would gain from a catch can would begin the moment you install it, unless you already need an engine.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Anthing to keep that unwanted oil from burning in the combustion chamber is better than nothing. I don't know if it's the placebo effect but I added a catch can and removed the carbon filter from the stock air box several months ago and it seems like the truck gained a mile or two per gallon. There is definitely no added power felt

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Anthing to keep that unwanted oil from burning in the combustion chamber is better than nothing. I don't know if it's the placebo effect but I added a catch can and removed the carbon filter from the stock air box several months ago and it seems like the truck gained a mile or two per gallon. There is definitely no added power felt
We run "oil rebreathers" on our marine diesels and the amount of "catch" is astounding. Now, granted, those motors hold close to 30 quarts of oil each.

Sounds like this might be my next upgrade.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I am about 10 oil changes deep with this truck and average about 4-5oz of oil vapor condensate each time I dump the catch can. So I have effectively prevented a half gallon of "oil" from entering my intake so far. Seems like a win to me.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I personally think the cost of whatever catch can is used is worth it. People use the term "blow by" but that's not necessarily the correct term. Blow by is usually when oil gets past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. The catch cans catch oil that's created by the pressure built up in the crank case. Pistons go up making pressure in the combustion chamber but the pistons also go down which creates pressure in the crank case. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is used to vent that crank case pressure. In most cases the PCV system usually vents the pressure into the intake and inevitablely into the combustion chamber to be burned for emissions and environmental reasons. Engines burn gas, adding oil to that mixture will reduce the efficiency of the burn so reducing the amount of oil, however small, can only be better for the engine.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I personally think the cost of whatever catch can is used is worth it. People use the term "blow by" but that's not necessarily the correct term. Blow by is usually when oil gets past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. The catch cans catch oil that's created by the pressure built up in the crank case. Pistons go up making pressure in the combustion chamber but the pistons also go down which creates pressure in the crank case. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is used to vent that crank case pressure. In most cases the PCV system usually vents the pressure into the intake and inevitablely into the combustion chamber to be burned for emissions and environmental reasons. Engines burn gas, adding oil to that mixture will reduce the efficiency of the burn so reducing the amount of oil, however small, can only be better for the engine.
Actually, there does appear to be some blow by in the mixture caught as it has an odor of gas. I’ve also seen some pretty oiled up intakes on several hemi’s, so to me that’s the greatest benefit. With port injection, the valves should stay pretty clean with or without.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Based on everyone's reviews I went ahead and bought the Mishimoto one on Amazon. How often are you all emptying it? When you can remember? Every couple thousand miles?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I empty my Amazon can about every 2k miles. Usually end up with about 2oz of crap. Mine is easy to empty because it has a drain valve.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I empty my can at least every oil change of 5-9k miles.
I'm about to do a change as i'm 6500ish miles in and I can send a picture.
I always weigh whatever I take out of the can in my maintenance spreadsheet just to keep track of it.

This is what I was getting out of my 2018 Silverado when I had it for reference. I put it on at 20k miles after I had a check engine light because my MAF sensor got so dirty from the oil and crap getting sucked back in through the air intake, I didn't want to go back to the dealership, or risk breaking the sensor taking it out every 20k miles.

MillageMini or RegAmount removed
(in weight)
Quality of liquid removed
24,032​
RegMinimal
27,621​
Reg5ozCaramel color oil
29,950​
Reg8ozHalf water, half black oil
37,015​
Reg7ozBlack oil

It really comes down to how big of a can you have. Mine is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread