5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That should show up as running rich on the O2 sensors, which should then cause the ECU to lean out the AFR...assuming our trucks monitor AFR. I can't find anything definitive on what flavor of magic is in the tuning.
Ever watch your LTFT numbers? Run a higher octane fuel and the PCM pulls more fuel than a lower octane.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ever watch your LTFT numbers? Run a higher octane fuel and the PCM pulls more fuel than a lower octane.

I haven't on this truck. I know my Ford would adjust long term and short term depending on what the wideband o2's reported.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That looks to be about how much I get out of mine, maybe a little less. And has never looked like a milkshake, unlike some guys that I have seen on here.

How easy was your shorty install? Been considering it, fortunately no rush as I haven't had a lot of free time

My1stHemi

Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure what causes the winter emulsion, seems to be worse with short trips. Must be related to extra condensation from the cold

Ramjack

Reaction score
I'm not sure what causes the winter emulsion, seems to be worse with short trips. Must be related to extra condensation from the cold
Yeah, I'm just trying to understand if the "winter emulsion" is actually coming out of the PCV valve or if it is mainly oil coming out of the PCV valve and the "winter emulsion" is forming inside the catch can. Just curious.

Ramjack

Reaction score
That's not condensate.
Well, don't be so sure. It is definitely not pure oil. There is clearly a good bit of water, maybe mostly water, in these catch cans. It looks much more like coffee than motor oil when you see it in person.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, don't be so sure. It is definitely not pure oil. There is clearly a good bit of water, maybe mostly water, in these catch cans. It looks much more like coffee than motor oil when you see it in person.
And smells of fuel

Ramjack

Reaction score
And smells of fuel
LOL, I guess I should have said Starbucks coffee.

Anyway, I don't think mine smells of fuel. I'll have to check in the morning to be sure.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone know what size tubing they used to connect to and from the can?
I have some 1/2 inch tubing but I think it's too small for the fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread