5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is after approximately 800-900 miles of winter driving, a little murky but not terrible, about 0.5 oz
View attachment 81143
I drained my BT catch can last Thursday, 1250 miles since the last oil change.

Was curious what the caught oil looked like with the slight “cold” snap we experienced here over the past several weeks. Lows right at 32 F. with several mornings a few degrees above and 3-4 mornings 27-29 F.

I too had close to .5 oz, clear as fresh oil, not at all what is captured in the photo. I do run full synthetic oil.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Was curious what the caught oil looked like with the slight “cold” snap we experienced here over the past several weeks. Lows right at 32 F. with several mornings a few degrees above and 3-4 mornings 27-29 F.

I too had close to .5 oz, clear as fresh oil, not at all what is captured in the photo. I do run full synthetic oil.
I use full synthetic as well. My guess is the emulsion is from my 5 mile commute to work, the engine oil barely reaches 180 by the time I get there. Main reason why I got the can was my short commute. In the summer it looks like you describe

Edit: I should add it hasn't been above 20 F for a couple weeks

Last edited:

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use full synthetic as well. My guess is the emulsion is from my 5 mile commute to work, the engine oil barely reaches 180 by the time I get there. Main reason why I got the can was my short commute. In the summer it looks like you describe
Ahhhhh, yea I have a 12 mile commute going the short route, 13.5 miles on the more leisure long way there commute.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Mishimoto here.

i suggest you get the additional valve. The OCC came with enough extra hose that I put the valve at the bottom of the can, very easy to reach and extended the hose straight down along the radiator so that it ends just below the frame. Makes it easy to put a 1/2 gallon jug under it.

jusy my two cents

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

If it's clear as "fresh oil", it may be mostly condensation and water/fuel.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
This was oil condensate captured at oil change 5 @ 7,500 miles worth of driving with 27,500mi on the truck. I had about 1/8” of “Mayo” in the bottom of the canister
Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil 5w-20
I added a Fumoto F106SX drain valve on my oil pan during this change too.
8230B6B6-1602-46C7-BE86-1AC3E335EAE7.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I run on my truck. Basically a UPR for half the price. Does everything the more expensive ones do for a fraction of the price. Collects about 2oz every 1500 miles

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895FMYGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_siGWWqTrp7OIz
Not quite...UPR is made in the USA...the one you purchased is a Chinese knockoff. Which I’m certain it works fine but the price delta is the difference between what an American worker is paid, immorally cheap Chinese labor and questionable quality.

Please don’t get me wrong as I’ve purchased Chinese products in the past too but have made it a habit to stay away from anything built in the PRC.

Last edited:

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I run on my truck. Basically a UPR for half the price. Does everything the more expensive ones do for a fraction of the price. Collects about 2oz every 1500 miles

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895FMYGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_siGWWqTrp7OIz

I had the same knock off one on mine. About 6 months or so later, it fell apart. The hoses began cracking, the rubber o-ring failed and the “separator” in the can fell to the bottom. Also the “clean” side of the hose going into the intake manifold was full of oil. My billet tech can is much better. Clean side has zero oil and the baffle works better by collecting much more oil in the can between emptying.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I also purchased one of the knock off ones on ebay about a year ago that mounts the same way as HSKR's. Was about $50 IIRC. I have emptied it a couple times but never really inspected it so I just went and took a look. Everything looks good and the clean side hose didn't have any oil in it. I really didn't see a problem getting cheap on an item that is highly debatable if the engine even needs it. I also thought the Mishimoto's were way over priced for what they are but that's me. Everyone spends their money how they want.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also purchased one of the knock off ones on ebay about a year ago that mounts the same way as HSKR's. Was about $50 IIRC. I have emptied it a couple times but never really inspected it so I just went and took a look. Everything looks good and the clean side hose didn't have any oil in it. I really didn't see a problem getting cheap on an item that is highly debatable if the engine even needs it. I also thought the Mishimoto's were way over priced for what they are but that's me. Everyone spends their money how they want.
The only engines that truly benefit from it is a Direct Injected engine since there is no gas wash over the valves. However, it can't hurt other engines and can only help to keep the intake clean.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same knock off one on mine. About 6 months or so later, it fell apart. The hoses began cracking, the rubber o-ring failed and the “separator” in the can fell to the bottom. Also the “clean” side of the hose going into the intake manifold was full of oil. My billet tech can is much better. Clean side has zero oil and the baffle works better by collecting much more oil in the can between emptying.
I mean, there is no reason to remove the reservoir with the valve on bottom. Haven't pulled the hoses, because it's obviously working. I've seen the UPR cans, and it's the exact same design internally. I've also owned a billet tech catch can in the past, and unless they have changed thier baffle design in the past 7 years, it's the exact same as this catch can. There is no way for it to "fall apart" as it all screws together.

ram0686

Reaction score
The knock off brand I got looks identical to the UPR can. I have no complaints. It catches oil.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dropped the coin on the Mishimoto for the OEM looks and it's mounting system, looks like it belongs there. The cheap knock off does the same thing, aside from the ones with plastic fittings. You can probably make one for free with household items

Users who are viewing this thread