5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are the majority of you doing with the oil & gunk you drain from your catch cans? Throwing straight into the garbage? Taking the time to put it into used oil containers and find a place to dispose? Dumping it down your closest sewer drain? :p Seriously.. I wonder what most people are doing..
I do my own oil changes, so just dump it in the pan of used oil and take it to local parts store for disposal

whetrick1

Reaction score
Call Mishimoto. personally, I don't think it will be an issue at all.

I don't think the vaper will freeze. It'll have enough oil in it to keep that from happening I think. But like security guy said call mishimoto and find out. And let us know so if the question comes up again we'll know how to answer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I don't think the vaper will freeze. It'll have enough oil in it to keep that from happening I think. But like security guy said call mishimoto and find out. And let us know so if the question comes up again we'll know how to answer it.

See post #311.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
A catch can is a good thing but it adds maintenance as it must be emptied. It is absolutely not necessary, but keeping oil out of the combustion chambers reduce issues down the road with carbon build up also keep the cats running in spec longer etc.

If you don't mind a little extra maintenance when changing the oil get one. If you don't like that idea then don't.

whetrick1

Reaction score
A catch can is a good thing but it adds maintenance as it must be emptied. It is absolutely not necessary, but keeping oil out of the combustion chambers reduce issues down the road with carbon build up also keep the cats running in spec longer etc.

If you don't mind a little extra maintenance when changing the oil get one. If you don't like that idea then don't.

Wow 5 mins isn't that much time lol

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been using catch cans for my familes/extended families Rams for a number of years. I'm not here to promote one brand over the other but do want to add one of the side benefits you'll notice is no more black carbon buildup on the chrome exhaust tips - if you run a catch can. I have always had to clean the exhaust tips on a regular basis due to carbon build up on the them but a quality catch appears to eliminate the problem on all three Rams in my direct family. I'm not a scientist although my wife mutters something about me and rockets every now and then, but the anecdotal evidence I've found is catch can = no more black carbon on the exhaust tips.

And my final recommendation is to get the drain kit (UPR is the catch can I utilize and I'm certain most of the other brands do too) as it makes emptying the catch can as simple as turning a small valve.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I also have the valve and I attached a hose to the end so all I have to do is put a container under the hose open the hood, reach in, turn the valve and wait a minute or so, close the valve and remove the container.

so not much maintenance time or effort.

I didn’t realize about the exhaust tips but you are right mine stay clean.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a catch can and my exhaust doesn’t stay clean at all but maybe that’s because of my tune and Procharger...

Talon17

Reaction score
Love the catch can saga! I've decided to buy one, but don't feel like dropping the 2 bills on the misimoto one. Quick question. Are catch cans designed for older rams compatible with the 5th gen ones? It looks like the same z bracket. I've resigned myself to upgrading the hose, but the ones specific for the new rams are few and far between. It also seems like the ones marketed for the 5th gen have a premium added to them for the exact same can. I'm looking specifically at the billet upr type design.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a cheaper BT set up can off eBay. Just to try it. Done great for me. Ever 10k I check intake and tb. Still looks clean at 20k now. I’m sure not up to those standards but it did come with high end vapor/emissions hose.

Talon17

Reaction score
Which can did you get, and where did you mount it? If it was the z bracket, was it the same fit or was it marketed for the 5th gen rams? I'd love to see which one you got, Nails. Thanks for the post. As an aside, anyone else worried about the metal mesh they use to fill the chamber of the catch can breaking apart and getting into the intake and causing problems? I don't know if all cans use it. The pics are only so so of the ones Ive looked at. I've never had a cc in a truck before, but I'm going to baby this one

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which can did you get, and where did you mount it? If it was the z bracket, was it the same fit or was it marketed for the 5th gen rams? I'd love to see which one you got, Nails. Thanks for the post. As an aside, anyone else worried about the metal mesh they use to fill the chamber of the catch can breaking apart and getting into the intake and causing problems? I don't know if all cans use it. The pics are only so so of the ones Ive looked at. I've never had a cc in a truck before, but I'm going to baby this one
My UPR is the same that I used for my 4th Gen and fits in the same spot. It bolts to a threaded hole in the front of the block. Never a problem with my UPR and we have them on all our Rams...and the lone Ford.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a cheap amazon/eBay catch can on mine. Collects a good amount of oil every time I check it. Been on for about 7 months or so. No issues.

Attachments

• EBE4326B-E29F-4631-B14E-0F00DE691CDA.jpeg
    EBE4326B-E29F-4631-B14E-0F00DE691CDA.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 82

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running a $60 UPR look alike off Amazon. Works the same for half the price.

As for the steel wool, it's needed to help with condensing the vapors and collecting them in the can. It should never come apart and be sucked in

Users who are viewing this thread