5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

rotts4u

Reaction score
I checked mine today with about 3000 miles and it had this much. 935BC69F-CDCB-42B5-8F60-EA2D415DB66A.jpeg

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just switched from a cheap eBay catch can to a billet tech catch can.

I noticed when I emptied the cheap eBay catch can last time, I decided to check the “clean side” hose and it was full of oil. So yes it was working to catch some oil but it appears a lot of oil was getting by and going back into the intake. Exactly what the catch can is suppose to stop.

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
Just installed my Mishimoto can today and I'm almost at 2000 miles. You can tell that hose you remove has some oil on the inside.
I'll check back in about 1000 miles.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I checked my mitsimoto catch can today and especially the output hose and after 12000 miles in 5 months, it was clean. So I assume that the van is working well.

yes I do drain the fan every 2000-3000 miles

jbet49

Reaction score
A catch can is the same as an oil/air separator. Personal preference really has nothing to do with it. If it did, race teams wouldn't use them and swear by them. Think about that.

The 5.7 is notorious for a lot of blow by. If you don't know what that is, look it up. A catch can "catches" blow by before it gunks up the intake on the engine.

Will a catch can give you a performance boost? No. But it will make your engine run much, much cleaner and much, much more efficiently.

Where the "personal preference" comes in, is do you want a clean, efficient running engine or do you want a gunked up turd. Your choice.

I personally won't run a Hemi without a catch can. Especially the 5.7.

ETA: If there were no need for a catch can or oil/air separator, Mopar/SRT wouldn't factory fit the Hellcat, Redeye or Demon with one. Yes, those have the SC 6.2 and are much higher performance and I'd argue with anyone who says the 5.7 can't perform at the same levels. Again, clean engine vs dirty engine - your choice.
I put one on my 2021 5.7...can't believe the gunk it catches. Seems very worth it

KSOTI

Reaction score
So for those of you that are fans of catch cans........ what is your go to favorite brand. Keeping price in mind. Thanks!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for those of you that are fans of catch cans........ what is your go to favorite brand. Keeping price in mind. Thanks!
My family has been using UPR catch cans for the last few years and they are fantastic. Granted, there are several brands out there which do the same thing and I'm not so certain a simple sealed empty coffee can with a ball valve drain on the bottom wouldn't do the same thing. The lesson I've learned with our Rams (and the one oddball Raptor in the family) is whatever brand you purchase (UPS, Morimoto, Billet Technology, etc.) just be certain to run a quality, correctly installed catch can and empty it every oil change (or sooner depending upon how much is being collected). And our experience has been the catch cans eliminated the carbon build up on the exhaust tips.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My family has been using UPR catch cans for the last few years and they are fantastic.
There are a lot out there, and there are DIY ones where people buy the various pieces separately and put it together.

I also now use UPR ones. My first was the Billet units (wife's 2018 Jeep WK2 still has a Billet unit). The UPR ones (and a few others) seem to have better "collection surfaces" (my own term, not sure on the official term) at the top of the can compared to cheaper, earlier, or DIY units. Other than that though, they mostly all do the same thing. Some folks like having a drain valve at the bottom, for a little easier emptying, and only some of them offer that.

RSZ

Reaction score

I have the Mishimoto. All the components are of very high quality. The mounting location right beside the radiator makes it easy to access and dump. It's engineered to fit the RAM, so it looks and fits like it's from the factory.

On sale now too for $199

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I liked the Billet Technology can I had on my SRT Challenger. So much so that when I sold the car I swapped to catch can over to the Ram. Like another poster said, many of them perform similar, so it comes down to each individual's style and price

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want cheap, then you don't want the best OCC you can buy, a Mishimoto ;) Just be careful as all OCC are not alike. Some use steel wool inside (really cheap ones); some are just a cavity with zero baffling inside (really cheap ones). You want a baffled high quality can that will actually separate the water/fuel/oil and not allow it to get sucked back through vacuum line into your intake. Stay away from eBay cans is my advice.

KSOTI

Reaction score
If you want cheap, then you don't want the best OCC you can buy, a Mishimoto ;) Just be careful as all OCC are not alike. Some use steel wool inside (really cheap ones); some are just a cavity with zero baffling inside (really cheap ones). You want a baffled high quality can that will actually separate the water/fuel/oil and not allow it to get sucked back through vacuum line into your intake. Stay away from eBay cans is my advice.
Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread