5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

TJ1789

Reaction score
New hemi owner here. Is this the main reason Ram recommends using the 89 gasoline for the 5.7 hemi? If the grade of the gasoline is a factor what grade of gasoline are you boys using when you give your catch can measurements?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I changed my oil this weekend and at 20,xxx miles and I had slightly less than half a cup of oil condensate captured this time, whereas before it was a solid 1/2cup per 5-6kmiles. I am curious if as the motor "breaks in" if I will continue to see any reduction in oil in the catch can. We shall see.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The OCC will catch more fuel and condensed water than it will oil. As Winter approaches, you will see an increase in OCC volume based on water condensation.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Speaking of winter, does anyone have any experience using a catch can in extreme winter temperatures? Where I live it can get down to -40/-50 deg C. I was going to buy the Mishimoto catch can but I'm worried that the vapors will freeze in those temps and block the tubing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Speaking of winter, does anyone have any experience using a catch can in extreme winter temperatures? Where I live it can get down to -40/-50 deg C. I was going to buy the Mishimoto catch can but I'm worried that the vapors will freeze in those temps and block the tubing.
Call Mishimoto. personally, I don't think it will be an issue at all.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Call Mishimoto. personally, I don't think it will be an issue at all.

I sent Mishimoto an email but never heard back yet. It would be nice to hear some real world feedback as well, though if the manufacturer says it will be fine than I will install it. Doing a general google search on oil catch cans in the winter left me cautious.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m interested myself, tho I’m way south bound for those kind of numbers. When I did live up north and CCs where hitting market. There was a lot of scary stories. But it was all do to not maintaining it.
Have to remember, the stock system is same way. If cc system will freeze so will stock set up. Have a maintained cc there will be no worries. Regardless of temps

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you do not let the can fill to the top, and empty it every 1500 miles, the fluid will NEVER block the input and output hoses from circulating any liquid and gasses. The Mishimoto unit will hold 7 ounces (I believe) and mine has never had more than 2-3 ounces in it based on when I emptied the can. As was stated, in the WINTER, you will see more fluid then in the warmer months based on condensation. You may want to check it every 1K miles to be safe.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
If you do not let the can fill to the top, and empty it every 1500 miles, the fluid will NEVER block the input and output hoses from circulating any liquid and gasses. The Mishimoto unit will hold 7 ounces (I believe) and mine has never had more than 2-3 ounces in it based on when I emptied the can. As was stated, in the WINTER, you will see more fluid then in the warmer months based on condensation. You may want to check it every 1K miles to be safe.

I received a reply from Mishimoto:

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your email and for your interest in our catch cans for your truck.

As the catch can will collect a variety of contaminants including oil, fuel, and, in particular, water vapor, there is a slight potential for some freezing in subzero temperatures. Despite that, any water captured will be mixed with the other fluids making it harder for it to actually freeze, so the most that you'll normally see is a bit of slush at the bottom of the can if anything. We recommend keeping an eye on your service intervals, and as long as you're emptying the can regularly, the cold should not be a problem, but overfilling from not emptying the can cause a backup in any temperature. The air flowing into the catch can once the engine is running will be much warmer than ambient temperature and will also prevent freezing as well. I have one of our catch cans in my car and will get a little slush in very cold temps in the Northeast US, but nothing frozen solid, even after the car has been off for a few hours.

If you have any other questions please let us know!

Thanks,

Nathaniel Henderson
Mishimoto Automotive

Based on this response I'm not too worried now and went ahead and ordered the catch can. I'll install my own drain valve, insulate the can and probably empty it once every week or two when winter first starts just to keep a close eye on it and increase intervals after. I figure if I drain it when I get home from work after driving 40 kms everything will be nice and hot and prevent any sludge from building up in the can. Of course I'll periodically look inside the can as well to see how it's doing.

I appreciate all the input. I didn't want to take any chances on causing issues with the truck as I plan on keeping this one for a long time, hence my interest in installing a catch can. I'm all for keeping a cleaner and better running engine!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I received a reply from Mishimoto:

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your email and for your interest in our catch cans for your truck.

As the catch can will collect a variety of contaminants including oil, fuel, and, in particular, water vapor, there is a slight potential for some freezing in subzero temperatures. Despite that, any water captured will be mixed with the other fluids making it harder for it to actually freeze, so the most that you'll normally see is a bit of slush at the bottom of the can if anything. We recommend keeping an eye on your service intervals, and as long as you're emptying the can regularly, the cold should not be a problem, but overfilling from not emptying the can cause a backup in any temperature. The air flowing into the catch can once the engine is running will be much warmer than ambient temperature and will also prevent freezing as well. I have one of our catch cans in my car and will get a little slush in very cold temps in the Northeast US, but nothing frozen solid, even after the car has been off for a few hours.

If you have any other questions please let us know!

Thanks,

Nathaniel Henderson
Mishimoto Automotive

Based on this response I'm not too worried now and went ahead and ordered the catch can. I'll install my own drain valve, insulate the can and probably empty it once every week or two when winter first starts just to keep a close eye on it and increase intervals after. I figure if I drain it when I get home from work after driving 40 kms everything will be nice and hot and prevent any sludge from building up in the can. Of course I'll periodically look inside the can as well to see how it's doing.

I appreciate all the input. I didn't want to take any chances on causing issues with the truck as I plan on keeping this one for a long time, hence my interest in installing a catch can. I'm all for keeping a cleaner and better running engine!
And my wife says I’m never right about anything.....

Nickjansen

Reaction score
What are the majority of you doing with the oil & gunk you drain from your catch cans? Throwing straight into the garbage? Taking the time to put it into used oil containers and find a place to dispose? Dumping it down your closest sewer drain? :p Seriously.. I wonder what most people are doing..

HydroRebel

Reaction score
What are the majority of you doing with the oil & gunk you drain from your catch cans? Throwing straight into the garbage? Taking the time to put it into used oil containers and find a place to dispose? Dumping it down your closest sewer drain? :p Seriously.. I wonder what most people are doing..

I'll be taking the time to put it in with my used oil container.

Kob0583

Reaction score

98cf5c4975933a50c286aa7218878749.jpg

I’m tracking the amount every 1000 miles. I’ll turn it in to a HAZMAT site once I have enough to make the trip worth the time so it’ll be awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickjansen

Reaction score
98cf5c4975933a50c286aa7218878749.jpg

I’m tracking the amount every 1000 miles. I’ll turn it in to a HAZMAT site once I have enough to make the trip worth the time so it’ll be awhile.

So currently just store it in an open beaker in your garage?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I keep an empty water bottle in my garage and just pour it into that. Over 9K miles on my RAM and I only have like 2-3 ounces at most.

Kob0583

Reaction score
So currently just store it in an open beaker in your garage?

Well no, used a magnet to check for metal particles then dump it through a separatory funnel to remove the water then into a oil recycling jug I got at Walmart. The flask is just for measuring the CC mixture. I just don’t have a pic of the funnel off hand but they run around $40 but it’s not something most people have laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread