5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

ZonaRam44

Reaction score

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"molecular separation and angular velocity" is commonly researched in engines, why do you think fuel injectors have changed and are more precise? why is direct injection more powerful than port? why are exhausts not square corners? why would you "Port and polish" an intake where the roughness of the inner and outer path are different? Why is a dry sump the ultimate go-to oiling system? all of those are real world proven evaluations of "molecular separation and angular velocity" wizardry ;)

Im not saying your corvette is a bad build. I enjoy the sound of a nicely tuned engine and drivetrain. and again... as you realized, not all parts work together. you may have had an overly restrictive catch can, never denied it, and its great to have the input that you had a bad experience with one, so others can know what to watch out for.

BTW there is probably a v6 mustang with an underdrive pully kit that said he can beat you :ROFLMAO:
So I wanted to show you guys this hemi with 90k miles on it. This is the intake ports, and like I said when I took the intake off you could pour the sludge out. View attachment 65166 View attachment 65167

Wow, thats some neglect mixed in on that.

Mine at 277K after it broke a valve spring and blew the intake apart

2016x980 (2).jpeg

You can see the oil film in the intake and oil poured from it when I took it off
2016x980 (3).jpeg

2016x980.jpeg

Definitely needs a catch can

JCebula

Reaction score
@JCebula does that truck have egr? Just curious, that’s a good amount of build up.
No egr, replacement engine was the same. Good thing i pulled the intake on the replacement because the previous owner did an mds delete kit to ot. That would have made things interesting.

JCebula

Reaction score
The next new engine isn't here yet, it will be interesting to see how that one is.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you running the Mishimoto catch can with an S&B CAI. I just installed my catch can today and I opted to run the hose coming from the engine up over the air intake tube (see pic). When I ran it under the tube it was most likely going to come in contact with the metal housing where the lefthand side of the engine cover screws down. I'm not sure if that part would get hot enough to damage the tubing, but I didn't want to find out. So my question is, will running the tube up and over have any negative effects on air flow into the catch can or cause build up in the hose?
20200815_174259.jpg

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this system on my Corvette, gonna buy the same for the truck
What's the deal with the air filter? Seems like it would interrupt the vacuum from the intake being able to draw off the crankcase.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What's the deal with the air filter? Seems like it would interrupt the vacuum from the intake being able to draw off the crankcase.

There's a 1 way vacuum actuated check valve in it that allows it to pull in air should the clean side air intake get clogged; stops the vacuum source from sucking in gaskets should the air intake get blocked

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Way overpriced OCC and a bit "gimmicky" too. It will perform no better than the Mishimoto.

Users who are viewing this thread