5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Voltage Should Etorque Be at?

frostymug

Reaction score
I'll let @frostymug post, but he found and corrected the issue.
Yup, etorque stopped working due to installation of the rough country speedometer calibrator. Once I reset calibration to factory, etorque came back to normal. As a result of my experience, rough country told me they were removing mentions of 2021 Ram 1500 compatibility from their website.

Th8785

Reaction score
A lot of RAM owners are experiencing issues with dead batteries whether they have eTorque or not. The problem appears to be excessive parasitic drain when the engine is off and not enough Reserve Capacity of the OEM battery to compensate. Check out the dead battery threads for more information.

To answer your question, the eTorque alternator and charging system needs to supply the same charging voltage as a standard alternator. This is regulated to 13.7 to 14.7 volts when the engine is running. Typically, you'll see around 14.6 Volts. Anything lower than 13.7 volts is cause for concern.

The voltage should remain in this range when the engine is running even with all electrical loads on. The charging capacity of the alternator was carefully selected based upon the maximum sustained loads the vehicle might see. The voltage might be slightly lower when all loads are on but should always remain in the 13.7 to 14.7 volt range. The voltage may also be slightly lower at idle than when driving.
i know this thread is a bit old but have been having similar concerns for some time now. I took my truck back to the dealership twice now due to voltage concerns and just keep being told all is fine. My etorqure rarely sees over 13 volts. typically reads 12.8- 13.2ish. Bought the truck new at end of December and have NEVER seen over 14 volts. Note, im big into car audio so i keep a very close eye on voltage out of habit.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
i know this thread is a bit old but have been having similar concerns for some time now. I took my truck back to the dealership twice now due to voltage concerns and just keep being told all is fine. My etorqure rarely sees over 13 volts. typically reads 12.8- 13.2ish. Bought the truck new at end of December and have NEVER seen over 14 volts. Note, im big into car audio so i keep a very close eye on voltage out of habit.
Are you having any issues???

Th8785

Reaction score
Are you having any issues???
Honestly i dont think so. My brain tells me there is an issue, but modern technology isnt my expertise. My brain also tells me 12.5v is a bad battery but they say otherwise. Told me they couldnt touch it without a code so I'm kinda on my own. Going to swap out with a strong agm and see if that helps. Maybe comp is reading batt doesn't need charged? Idk ant other possible solution

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honestly i dont think so. My brain tells me there is an issue, but modern technology isnt my expertise. My brain also tells me 12.5v is a bad battery but they say otherwise. Told me they couldnt touch it without a code so I'm kinda on my own. Going to swap out with a strong agm and see if that helps. Maybe comp is reading batt doesn't need charged? Idk ant other possible solution
I think you are over thinking it and should just enjoy driving your truck:) If you are going to invest in a top quality AGM, get the Northstar X2 Power at Batteries Plus. Best AGM battery on the planet!

Th8785

Reaction score
I think you are over thinking it and should just enjoy driving your truck:) If you are going to invest in a top quality AGM, get the Northstar X2 Power at Batteries Plus. Best AGM battery on the planet!

I will agree northstar makes a good battery, but I'm actually going to put an xs power battery in. Going to a d3100 for the added reserve. My concern with the voltage(and amperage output?) Actually falls in line with adding my aftermarket stereo. Dont want to cause any issues but seeing as there is no traditional alternator it makes it difficult to estimate what extra draw the vehicle can handle

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is probably because the amperage from your smart alternator is being split between your 12V starter battery and your 48V Lithium battery pack for your eTorque.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is probably because the amperage from your smart alternator is being split between your 12V starter battery and your 48V Lithium battery pack for your eTorque.
I don't believe it works that way.
The way i undertand it, the generator charges the 48v battery, and the 48v battery then charges the 12v battery.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe it works that way.
The way i undertand it, the generator charges the 48v battery, and the 48v battery then charges the 12v battery.
I stand corrected.

"Electrical energy in the eTorque system is stored in a 30 pound, 430 watt-hour LG Chem battery pack mounted at the rear wall of the pickup cab. The system includes a DC-to-DC converter to supply the vehicle’s regular electrical loads and charge its 12-volt starter battery."

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I stand corrected.

"Electrical energy in the eTorque system is stored in a 30 pound, 430 watt-hour LG Chem battery pack mounted at the rear wall of the pickup cab. The system includes a DC-to-DC converter to supply the vehicle’s regular electrical loads and charge its 12-volt starter battery."

Nice post my friend!

Th8785

Reaction score
I understand all of this as I have dug up every piece of information I can find on the etorque system(sadly that still doesnt equal much). What i can't come to understand is how the converter determines what voltage to put out to the battery on 12v side. I could see if ot put out a set voltage point but with the way the voltage varies it makes me wonder if the dc to DC converter is set up like a pcm controlled alt.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand all of this as I have dug up every piece of information I can find on the etorque system(sadly that still doesnt equal much). What i can't come to understand is how the converter determines what voltage to put out to the battery on 12v side. I could see if ot put out a set voltage point but with the way the voltage varies it makes me wonder if the dc to DC converter is set up like a pcm controlled alt.
Magic.....the computer must monitor the battery voltage and send a charge to ensure it is at proper operating specifications.

Th8785

Reaction score
Magic.....the computer must monitor the battery voltage and send a charge to ensure it is at proper operating specifications.
Most plausible idea yet. Pulled the batt out to tinker and since reinstall its been 13.7 to 14.0 the entire time. Starting to think they didn't have everything tight from the factory. Could also very well be a fluke

Inziny

Reaction score
Keep a close eye on it, mine has been in the shop for 8 days and they ordered a new battery pack. It is a 21 Laramie w 5900
Miles. I did have it towed in around 1100 miles where the dashboard through all sorts of alerts and it failed. Unfortunately the dealership couldn’t resolve the issue. Let’s hope this fixes the issue but I don’t find ram customer care to be any help.

Th8785

Reaction score
Keep a close eye on it, mine has been in the shop for 8 days and they ordered a new battery pack. It is a 21 Laramie w 5900
Miles. I did have it towed in around 1100 miles where the dashboard through all sorts of alerts and it failed. Unfortunately the dealership couldn’t resolve the issue. Let’s hope this fixes the issue but I don’t find ram customer care to be any help.
I took mine in as soon as I started seeing 12.9-13 at 70 mph....no code no problem🤷

Ramgoose

Reaction score
I took mine in as soon as I started seeing 12.9-13 at 70 mph....no code no problem🤷
🤣 That’s the problem with techs that are parts changers only, no innate diagnostic skills. It’s almost always the battery or IBS when this starts to in my experience. Have replaced both on the Jeep and the battery on the Rebel e-tourque. Back to 13.9-14.3 steady since.

Th8785

Reaction score
🤣 That’s the problem with techs that are parts changers only, no innate diagnostic skills. It’s almost always the battery or IBS when this starts to in my experience. Have replaced both on the Jeep and the battery on the Rebel e-tourque. Back to 13.9-14.3 steady since.
Yea. I have a couple load testers both read weak on the front battery. But cant tell them nothing lol. Going to upgrade soon anyhow. Glad to hear that it may actually help and not just my way of thinking tho

Ramgoose

Reaction score
Yea. I have a couple load testers both read weak on the front battery. But cant tell them nothing lol. Going to upgrade soon anyhow. Glad to hear that it may actually help and not just my way of thinking tho
Yes, I should have clarified the main battery was the one I replaced in the Rebel when it went wonky. My Dealer that I have purchased two ram 4x4s and one jeep from was like “ have it towed here and we’ll check it out and FCA may or may not warranty your 17 month old battery! Thanks for nothing bro 😎 did it myself. Service and sales are as disconnected as FBI and CIA ...

Velocity

Reaction score
My truck has showed what I would call low voltage (around the mid 12’s) on and off since I took delivery of it. I have about 5,000 miles on it now and I’d say for about the last 1500 miles or so it’s been 13.8 and above. My last GM vehicle would have low voltage (12.3 to 13.0) every now and then too. I wasn’t too worried when the Ram would show lower voltage because it would increase at times. Seems to be better lately.

cervelo15

Reaction score
My truck has showed what I would call low voltage (around the mid 12’s) on and off since I took delivery of it. I have about 5,000 miles on it now and I’d say for about the last 1500 miles or so it’s been 13.8 and above. My last GM vehicle would have low voltage (12.3 to 13.0) every now and then too. I wasn’t too worried when the Ram would show lower voltage because it would increase at times. Seems to be better lately.
Same here....I have the digital voltmeter as one of my gauges in the lower right corner and noticed a couple times it's dipped. Scared the crap out of me, especially since this is my very first experience with a vehicle that has this type of system. Pulling up the actual digital readout on the screen it was 12.6-12.8 and stayed like that a couple times while driving at highway speed.

I know when I wait in the school pickup line for my daughter, I turn my truck off and on a couple times while in line (because I could be waiting there 45mins + sometimes and I'm not letting it idle for that entire time). That wouldn't have anything to do with it maybe?

Either way, it's been fluctuating between 13.8-14.1 lately.

Users who are viewing this thread