5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Voltage Should Etorque Be at?

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 etorque i just replaced the battery got stranded twice thats enough.... Im wondering what is the voltage parameters should it be at when driving when everything is on vs normal driving with no lights or ac? im also curious at what voltage during driving is considered to low and should be an alert that the battery pack isn't charging the battery correctly.....

HAL9001

Reaction score
A lot of RAM owners are experiencing issues with dead batteries whether they have eTorque or not. The problem appears to be excessive parasitic drain when the engine is off and not enough Reserve Capacity of the OEM battery to compensate. Check out the dead battery threads for more information.

To answer your question, the eTorque alternator and charging system needs to supply the same charging voltage as a standard alternator. This is regulated to 13.7 to 14.7 volts when the engine is running. Typically, you'll see around 14.6 Volts. Anything lower than 13.7 volts is cause for concern.

The voltage should remain in this range when the engine is running even with all electrical loads on. The charging capacity of the alternator was carefully selected based upon the maximum sustained loads the vehicle might see. The voltage might be slightly lower when all loads are on but should always remain in the 13.7 to 14.7 volt range. The voltage may also be slightly lower at idle than when driving.

Last edited:

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of RAM owners are experiencing issues with dead batteries whether they have eTorque or not. The problem appears to be excessive parasitic drain when the engine is off and not enough Reserve Capacity of the OEM battery to compensate. Check out the dead battery threads for more information.

To answer your question, the eTorque alternator and charging system needs to supply the same charging voltage as a standard alternator. This is regulated to 13.7 to 14.7 volts when the engine is running. Typically, you'll see around 14.6 Volts. Anything lower than 13.7 volts is cause for concern.

The voltage should remain in this range when the engine is running even with all electrical loads on. The charging capacity of the alternator was carefully selected based upon the maximum sustained loads the vehicle might see. The voltage might be slightly lower when all loads are on but should always remain in the 13.7 to 14.7 volt range. The voltage may also be slightly lower at idle than when driving.

Wow. Didn’t know the battery was that mainstream of concern. Well by that standard I should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My voltage is typically around 14.1-14.2V. There are times when driving/idling I'll see it dip to 13.8-13.9V. However, most of the time I am just up above 14V which is more than satisfactory.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Mine seems to always be at 14.6 V when I check it on the gauge while driving around city or highway.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My voltage is typically around 14.1-14.2V. There are times when driving/idling I'll see it dip to 13.8-13.9V. However, most of the time I am just up above 14V which is more than satisfactory.
Pretty much the same here for daily operation. I have seen it up to 14.7 on a recent trip, but that was driving 75mph in subzero weather with the seat/wheel heat on so I wasn't overly surprised.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The issue with the dead batteries is software modules and also the Air Suspension staying active when the truck is shut off (There is also a less common issue with the glovebox light staying on). I also had an issue over a year ago with the software module not telling the alternator to turn on and charge. They updated the software and gave me a new 12V battery and no issues since.

Ramgoose

Reaction score
I have a 2019 etorque i just replaced the battery got stranded twice thats enough.... Im wondering what is the voltage parameters should it be at when driving when everything is on vs normal driving with no lights or ac? im also curious at what voltage during driving is considered to low and should be an alert that the battery pack isn't charging the battery correctly.....
Mine runs 14.4 - 14.5. Also, a 2019 on my second battery. There are many threads on the AGM batteries and the FCA intelligent battery sensor (IBS). I would avoid that rabbit hole if possible.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine runs 14.4 - 14.5. Also, a 2019 on my second battery. There are many threads on the AGM batteries and the FCA intelligent battery sensor (IBS). I would avoid that rabbit hole if possible.
went and got me a agm battery hopefully that solves the issue... i been keeping an eye on the voltage

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
went and got me a agm battery hopefully that solves the issue... i been keeping an eye on the voltage
We have had less problems reported with the AGM battery.

frostymug

Reaction score
Mine is running at around 13.6-13.7, and coincidentally today the etorque no longer seems to be working. When auto start/stop kicks in, once I let get of the brake the etorque is no longer starting the half wheel rotation that it normally does. The truck just sits there still as a rock until I press the gas pedal. This has never happened before, so I’m wondering if it a coincidence with the battery voltage being seemingly low.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is running at around 13.6-13.7, and coincidentally today the etorque no longer seems to be working. When auto start/stop kicks in, once I let get of the brake the etorque is no longer starting the half wheel rotation that it normally does. The truck just sits there still as a rock until I press the gas pedal. This has never happened before, so I’m wondering if it a coincidence with the battery voltage being seemingly low.
Looks like a trip to the dealer...let us know what they find.

frostymug

Reaction score
Looks like a trip to the dealer...let us know what they find.
Do you think the blackvue dash cam I installed last night would have anything to do with the voltage being low? I mean, parking mode and all.

I just went on a test drive...I disconnected the camera, turned on truck and voltage was right at 14.0 for the most of the 20 minute drive. I then stopped for a minute to check some texts, left the truck running on idle for like 90 seconds and noticed that while idling the voltage dropped to 13.0. It then stayed there for the remainder of the ride home.

Once I pulled into garage, i turned the truck off and turned back on immediately. When I did that, I noticed the starting voltage was around 12.4 and then slowly climbed to 14.0 within 30 seconds.

Is all of this normal or does something seem off?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you think the blackvue dash cam I installed last night would have anything to do with the voltage being low? I mean, parking mode and all.

I just went on a test drive...I disconnected the camera, turned on truck and voltage was right at 14.0 for the most of the 20 minute drive. I then stopped for a minute to check some texts, left the truck running on idle for like 90 seconds and noticed that while idling the voltage dropped to 13.0. It then stayed there for the remainder of the ride home.

Once I pulled into garage, i turned the truck off and turned back on immediately. When I did that, I noticed the starting voltage was around 12.4 and then slowly climbed to 14.0 within 30 seconds.

Is all of this normal or does something seem off?
The camera won't do that. Current draw is VERY low like an amp or less. Your voltages do sound off during idle. When idling, I have never dropped below 13.8V. My voltage is always around 12.4-12.5V at start and then climbs to 14.0-14.2V and that's after the vehicle sat for a week with the camera in parking mode.

frostymug

Reaction score
The camera won't do that. Current draw is VERY low like an amp or less. Your voltages do sound off during idle. When idling, I have never dropped below 13.8V. My voltage is always around 12.4-12.5V at start and then climbs to 14.0-14.2V and that's after the vehicle sat for a week with the camera in parking mode.
Thank you, sir!

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ahh forgot about the VIOFO

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hmmmm interesting

Users who are viewing this thread