5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

Seadweller23

Reaction score
Yes, while cruise is on and you begin going up an incline, you can hear the exhaust kick in. When you begin a decline it goes back to silent. I think the stock exhaust is so quiet that a lot of people are taken aback by the noise of a S Type while driving it. I like being able to hear a little exhaust sound... and when you do decide to get on it, it is a wonderful sound. The HEMI is quite an engine. I want to hear the engine go through the gears... To each their own.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a Tradesman Hemi single tailpipe and I would like to have just a little more deep sound at heavy throttle. Any recommendations? I'd want to keep the single tailpipe config, but full flow would be important. (Same OEM hp rating as dual tailpipe) Just a muffler change and probably keep the resonator(s).

CaptainSumTingWong

Reaction score
Started with a MBRP but it was louder than the wife liked, I thought it sounded great. Ended up with the B2 oval which ended up being a good compromise between me and the wife, probably more favorable towards what my wife prefers. I have a MBRP for sale now though!

Wdpower

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up the MagnaFlow Street Series ( #19429 ) for about $710.00. I like the sound but have always liked Borla and I was contemplating the Borla S for about a grand. Does anyone think there's any reason not to save a few bucks an take the MagnaFlow system?

BTW, just picked up a '19 Ram 1500 w/23k a week ago. This is to be the first ( of many ) mods...

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had a Magnaflow Bolt on 14" kit on my 2015 and a Borla ATAK on my 2021, no comparison in sound imo I would recommend the Borla without hesitation. The Magnaflow sounds good but the Borla is ridiculous on tne Hemi. U can find the Borla for less than $950 at a number of places btw.. good luck!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up the MagnaFlow Street Series ( #19429 ) for about $710.00. I like the sound but have always liked Borla and I was contemplating the Borla S for about a grand. Does anyone think there's any reason not to save a few bucks an take the MagnaFlow system?

BTW, just picked up a '19 Ram 1500 w/23k a week ago. This is to be the first ( of many ) mods...

I have the Magnaflow 19430, Which I believe is the same one but with the black tips.
I had a borla on my last Ram, I LOVED the soundprofile.

I went with the magnaflow as the borla system wasn't out yet (This was like December 2018ish). I also got a good deal on it.
So I think the borla soundprofile, particularly on the S-type and the ATAK types is just magic. I had a borla XR1 muffler (with the other pipes stock, resonators) on my old Ram and I loved how that thing rumbled. I've got a whoooole bunch of posts on that :ROFLMAO:
HOWEVER this magnaflow system is pretty good too.

IMHO the Borla might sound "better", but will be louder overall, and louder on cold start.
The Magnaflow unit is based on their 22in muffler, their largest one (vs the 14 and the 18. I measured mine and it appears to be their 22inch, that's what my tape measure said). As such it is mellow in the cabin with windows up. VERY livable for road trips.
It handles drone very very well. The cold starts are practically respectful, comparatively speaking anyway.
If you drop your windows and get on the gas pedal, you will hear the exhaust. It's my preferred way to drive!

It's a straight through design wise, so the flow is good (in terms of performance).

1619145380669.png

Overall?
If you LOVE the borla soundprofile, as I did, think hard about getting one.
Is the magnaflow still pretty good? I think so, and I'm someone who loved the borla sound. I used the savings on other mods.
It's "enough" muffler to enjoy it, it's respectful to the neighbors - and don't get me wrong, if you've heard the truck stock, you KNOW the truck is not stock.
To an untrained ear? They will see your badass truck and think it was sold that way and meant to sound that way!

willogical

Reaction score
I've got a question for this thread -- I'm looking at the Borla ATAK and the Corsa Xtreme (now the sport) -- the difference in price is like $1000.

One thing I noticed is that the Borla ATAK is only listed on the Borla website for the 5'7" bed, not the 6'4" bed. Does anyone know if you can fit the ATAK to the 6'4" bed, as well?

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After all the research, video clips, and reading through this forum, I decided on the Borla Atak. I ordered the Borla Atak (140753BC) today. I found it online for $992.74, including shipping and no tax. Any body found a better deal?

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After all the research, video clips, and reading through this forum, I decided on the Borla Atak. I ordered the Borla Atak (140753BC) today. I found it online for $992.74, including shipping and no tax. Any body found a better deal?
Gotexhaust.com ... hit up Nick best price i found at the time and had it in 2 days!

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a review of a new exhaust coming out soon from AWE Tuning. If its anything like their exhaust that I had on my Mustang GT and their Challenger/Charger exhausts then its gonna kill Borla and Corsa soundwise.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Jerstein1 is referring to this:

It is a replacement muffler with an electronic valve to bypass the muffler and resonators.

"Back in the day" we called them cutouts. On Friday and Saturday night you would "roll the cutouts" for a meaner sounding exhaust and improved performance in case someone wanted to...listen to your exhaust ;) .

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Jerstein1 is referring to this:

It is a replacement muffler with an electronic valve to bypass the muffler and resonators.

"Back in the day" we called them cutouts. On Friday and Saturday night you would "roll the cutouts" for a meaner sounding exhaust and improved performance in case someone wanted to...listen to your exhaust ;) .
Ahhh I had some qtp electronic cutouts on my last car.. loved them.. I wonder how this one sounds.. drone with the valve closed?

Nova90

Reaction score
That seems like a good price for the Atak

KonaLaury

Reaction score
I have a Carven cat back which I installed myself. Very happy with the sound and I think the large 5 inch outlets look great.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Carven cat back which I installed myself. Very happy with the sound and I think the large 5 inch outlets look great.
Drone at all?
Usually with a full cat-back the manufacturer has designed them for no drone (Carven, Borla).

Drone is usually an issue when you chop-and-swap pieces (muffler swap, resonator delete, etc.).

Flowmaster FlowFX Dual mode! easy to install, sounds great and costs $600
Any drone with the valve closed? You have any video with sound??
Ahhh I had some qtp electronic cutouts on my last car.. loved them.. I wonder how this one sounds.. drone with the valve closed?
I'm not sure about drone at speed but one of the "pictures" you can view on their website is a video of installing it with some sound bites with the valve closed and open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread