5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

sppb32

Reaction score

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Hambonehead

Reaction score
I was looking for something slightly louder than the factory muffler but not crazy loud as I pull a camper often and don’t want to be obnoxious in the camp grounds.

I decided to take a shot with the Proven Ground C&L muffler and tips as that’s exactly what it claims to do. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

CaptainSumTingWong

Reaction score
Does anyone have the b2 round muffler (previously the pypes) and can post a sound clip or video from inside the cab windows up. Ideally looking for a no load while cruising speed, a unaggressive normal driving acceleration, and a hard acceleration all from inside the cab windows up.

or if anybody knows of a clip already online somewhere and can point me to it. I’ve been looking all over and all I’m finding for the round/pypes b2 exhaust is shot from behind the car not inside the car.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
After reading over many threads on here, and watching many videos I thought I’d try the borlaXS pro muffler and leave the rest stock. I ordered from Amazon and arrived yest. It’s 19” . I’m worried it’s not going to improve sound that much and not worth having it welded on. In which case of I wanted to swap it out for something else would that make it more difficult? With there being soo much discussion about exhausts and many threads I can’t find the member who highly recommended it. I believe it was somewhere when porboy was I swapping out one of his many exhausts.
Part # 40349
Borla 40349 Muffler ,Metallic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET0OU2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Well the part that was mentioned earlier is the wrong one... the new trucks are single 3” in single 3” out as opposed to the 3” in 2.5 dual out. Will return and buy correct one. I guess that is what happens when you buy a bunch of stuff before your truck is delivered!

Rambro23

Reaction score
I have a Durango R/T with essentially the same 5.7 that’s in my new ram but the Durango sounds so much better. I essentially want the ram to sound the same as the stock Durango. Silent at cruising speed but once you get on it a nice noticeable deep raspy growl. Hopefully someone else has a Durango and knows what I’m talking about. What exhaust for the ram would help me achieve a similar sound to my Durango?
Magnaflow cat-back all the way.

Rambro23

Reaction score
My 2 cents:
1. Magnaflow is great
2. Flowmaster is cheap crap
3. The B2 Fabrications kit is a high quality kit and muffler (many of us have this kit)
4. Borla and Corsa Catbacks are fantastic
4. Carven is good, but the I hate the popping sound of their muffler
Spot on, the pop noise with Carven is awful.

Srcargill

Reaction score
I have the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system and LOVE IT! I wanted a system that had a great deep tone but obnoxious to myself, passengers or neighbors that I actually like. If I lived in a more rural area the ATAK system would of been something I would of considered but very happy with choosing S-Type. My only worry of going with something louder would be getting sick of a tone that is just to noticeable at all times. Even just driving around between accelerations you can hear the exhaust (stock you couldn't really) but if it was any louder I'm not sure if I would enjoy hearing it at all times.

Also, I have a 19 with e-torque and when the engine stops and fires up again at lights it makes me smile every time hearing the exhaust tone! When the system goes into 4 cylinders/eco I don't really hear any noticeable difference.

Last edited:

Straightener

Reaction score
My wife has a '20 Durango R/T. Its pretty darn quiet. I did the trial and error with my '19 Ram Hemi exhaust and finally settled on a sweet spot. Went with the full muffler delete from Solo Performance (kept the resonators). LOUD. To the point I didn't want to drive the truck. I then put a Magnaflow straight through muffler/resonator in. That tamed it to acceptable levels. After about 9 months with it, decided it was still a bit too much. Took that off and put the Borla Touring system on. That "tuned" the sound, but it was still a bit too loud. Since Borla has their resonator that you can add to quiet down the touring system, it gave me the idea to throw the Magnaflow back on, right where the small resonator is after the catalytic convertor. The Magnaflow/Borla combination is now perfect for me. Nice rumble on startup, pretty quiet when cruising, good tone on acceleration. Doesn't annoy the wife (a win right there).

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I added MBRP muffler replacement to my Rebel and love it. I have been using MBRP products for many years now and really like their quality and sound improvements from everything to 6cyl Jeep to V-8s... reasonably priced and easy install from my experience. Sound video link below.
Echo that! My MBRP sounds great, though it might be a bit louder than what the OP is looking for

dannymcd

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards doing what i did on my tundra and simply adding electric cutouts right after the converters.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Spot on, the pop noise with Carven is awful.
Carven never ever pops while driving normally. Even when you start it when it’s warmed up and rev it there’s hardly any pops. It only really happens when it’s a cold start and you rev it, which honestly you shouldn’t do & plus it’s a truck how often are you even revving it while parked? I love the sound of the carven. I heard magnaflow and flowmaster before hand and like the carven about 1000x more

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Carven never ever pops while driving normally. Even when you start it when it’s warmed up and rev it there’s hardly any pops. It only really happens when it’s a cold start and you rev it, which honestly you shouldn’t do & plus it’s a truck how often are you even revving it while parked? I love the sound of the carven. I heard magnaflow and flowmaster before hand and like the carven about 1000x more
Glad you like your Carven...not all of us will agree on everything. You're happy...we're happy for you:)

puba08

Reaction score
I have the carven and it sounds nothing like the YouTube video with it installed on the Rebel. It’s quiet and tame compared to the FM outlaw I had on my 4th Gen. I have never heard it pop once. Should have went with the outlaw again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have the carven and it sounds nothing like the YouTube video with it installed on the Rebel. It’s quiet and tame compared to the FM outlaw I had on my 4th Gen. I have never heard it pop once. Should have went with the outlaw again.

Not even when revving it while stopped?

puba08

Reaction score
Not even when revving it while stopped?

Nope. I love loud exhausts and loud tires (though not currently running them) and was a little disappointed. Carven is a great exhaust don’t get me wrong but I was expecting what I heard on the cut and clamp video they did on the Rebel.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Nope. I love loud exhausts and loud tires (though not currently running them) and was a little disappointed. Carven is a great exhaust don’t get me wrong but I was expecting what I heard on the cut and clamp video they did on the Rebel.

Oh so you have the cut and clamp? Take the resonators off and it’ll sound like the catback! In all honesty, I have less drone now that I took the resonators off. I don’t regret it one bit!

DerekC

Reaction score
I bought the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system with black 5" tips. Thing is unreal. It's actually amazing at how relaxed it is on the highway cruising around 62/100k. The cold start at -35c has been intoxicating haha. But to be honest it's amazing I'd never buy a V8 without upgrading again. A good buddy of mine has a 2018 ram sport with the mbrp and his should unreal too but it's definitely a noticable difference on how much more tolerable the Borla is on idle and cruise. The mbrp is also much more noticeable on MDS. When you get after the throttle tho this sucker screams! Sounds.like a NASCAR haha guarantee you will smile every...single...time...

puba08

Reaction score
Oh so you have the cut and clamp? Take the resonators off and it’ll sound like the catback! In all honesty, I have less drone now that I took the resonators off. I don’t regret it one bit!

Ok great I’ll give that a try

Users who are viewing this thread