5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

CaptainSumTingWong

Reaction score
I have a Durango R/T with essentially the same 5.7 that’s in my new ram but the Durango sounds so much better. I essentially want the ram to sound the same as the stock Durango. Silent at cruising speed but once you get on it a nice noticeable deep raspy growl. Hopefully someone else has a Durango and knows what I’m talking about. What exhaust for the ram would help me achieve a similar sound to my Durango?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
There are many...many exhaust threads on this forum, so do some searches to start your research. Something to keep in mind is that exhaust characteristics are very subjective and also difficult to capture on video/recording.

As far as suggestions, B2 Fabrication is an awesome company that supports this site. Family owned and operated. Most here have been very satisfied with B2 Fab products outside of a few issues with finicky clamps. They have a few drop in muffler options. What I would like to suggest for your wants is the "moderate" option. I would not suggest deleting your resonators based on what you are looking for. Here is a video I made comparing stock exhaust to B2 moderate muffler only, then B2 muffler with resonator delete kit.

I don't have a Durango, and this is the only set up other than stock I have had on my truck - but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my set up.

CaptainSumTingWong

Reaction score
There are many...many exhaust threads on this forum, so do some searches to start your research. Something to keep in mind is that exhaust characteristics are very subjective and also difficult to capture on video/recording.

As far as suggestions, B2 Fabrication is an awesome company that supports this site. Family owned and operated. Most here have been very satisfied with B2 Fab products outside of a few issues with finicky clamps. They have a few drop in muffler options. What I would like to suggest for your wants is the "moderate" option. I would not suggest deleting your resonators based on what you are looking for. Here is a video I made comparing stock exhaust to B2 moderate muffler only, then B2 muffler with resonator delete kit.

I don't have a Durango, and this is the only set up other than stock I have had on my truck - but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my set up.

I’ve done a bunch of searches and watched a bunch of videos...there’s a few problems, one is like you said it can be subjective which is why I was hoping somebody had an aftermarket exhaust they could compare to a stock Durango RT so that there is a basis of comparison. Also as you said they are hard to capture on video, a lot of the exhausts are supposed to be louder or quieter or sound different but on video they start to sound pretty darn similar. And of the videos I’ve found, most of them are shot from right behind the exhaust. The problem there is, I’m not standing behind my own car, I’m sitting in the driver seat driving it. So trying to get videos and sound clips of regular acceleration and cruising speed from inside the cab (essentially what I do 95% of the time) vs videos of drive bys, sitting behind a parked car, revving, or wot pulls is hard to find.

sppb32

Reaction score
I like to test different mufflers and different setups, on my 04 I had a bunch of different ones before settling for a Bassani true duals with an X pipe/resonator, no true performance benefits but it sounded just like i wanted it.
On the 2020 I've tested 5 so far and to tell you the truth I got the big winner already, but that's my preference, it might not be yours, it's also not a full exhaust it's just a muffler loud enough you get to keep the resonators so it only sets you back a few bucks, loud when you get on it barely noticeable on the highway, no drone, MDS is barely noticeable too...just perfect for me, my neighbors might not like it when I remote start it at 5AM but I can't care less...I love it!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

CaptainSumTingWong

Reaction score
I like to test different mufflers and different setups, on my 04 I had a bunch of different ones before settling for a Bassani true duals with an X pipe/resonator, no true performance benefits but it sounded just like i wanted it.
On the 2020 I've tested 5 so far and to tell you the truth I got the big winner already, but that's my preference, it might not be yours, it's also not a full exhaust it's just a muffler loud enough you get to keep the resonators so it only sets you back a few bucks, loud when you get on it barely noticeable on the highway, no drone, MDS is barely noticeable too...just perfect for me, my neighbors might not like it when I remote start it at 5AM but I can't care less...I love it!

What 5 have you tried and which one is the one you like?

sppb32

Reaction score
What 5 have you tried and which one is the one you like?
Flowmaster FlowFx sounded good but too mellow for me (for sale)
Colt turbine, sounded very good for the money,
Magnaflow 3 chaberXL, (borrowed from a friend to test) sounded ok
Spintech 9000proXL, sounded great but not the sound i was looking for (for sale)
Paradox Signature series Elite, my favourite, sounds amazing without drone, can't even hear the difference with the MDS, her's a short teaser video, hot startup, planning on doing a more complete one soon.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the Durango sounds like, but I can tell ya that I added a Carven R series muffler and deleted the resonators and I LOVE the sound! But I guarantee it’s louder than the stock Durango. I had a 5.7 challenger straight piped before and this ram sounds way better and way quieter than that.

Skater

Reaction score
If you do not mind a rather loud cold start and want a tame cruiser with a deep racing growl when you put your foot into it ... Carven. I installed a cat-back kit myself and have been very happy, with the few exceptions of when I wake the wife up at 5:00 am pulling out of the garage to go play golf. Cold starts are loud until it warms up and the choke settles down.

Venom700

Reaction score
I personally hate how all of the exhaust videos are just revving. This isn’t a sports car. I want to hear a cold start and idle for a minute as the RPMs settle. That’s what it will sound like when you actually buy one as I don’t know anyone who revs their engine like they are a 20 year old in a 2010 civic every day.

bigalf

Reaction score
I have really been debating a qtp cutout. I like the ability to have stock on occasion, because the majority of the time I love exhaust. On my 4th gen I switched from Flowmaster to Magnaflow. These were just cat back set ups. Like I said I'm saving for the cutout with Bluetooth

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Exhaust - the always subjective topic. I'll add my two pennies so you have more info to go off of. I got a muffler delete from a reputable shop. $200 CAD to chop and weld. Out the door in less than an hour. I opted to keep the resonators for drone sake and plugged the weep holes myself with some high heat epoxy putty. It's loud. Every time I cold start it you can hear it from every room in the house and my neighbors hate me so there's that. My brother went with a catback straight pipe (resonators deleted) and that's just obnoxiously loud to me. Plus it drones quite a bit at cruising IMO.

I don't have a Durango but I imagine what you're describing is a lot like my set up. I just wanted to hear the HEMI when I got on it, but for it to be tolerable on the highway. RAM did a great job with sound deadening these trucks. When MDS kicks in you notice it at lower speeds but at highway cruising its pretty quiet. If you're looking to alter the sound a bit or completely eliminate any drone, another set up may be your solution.

sppb32

Reaction score
Exhaust - the always subjective topic. I'll add my two pennies so you have more info to go off of. I got a muffler delete from a reputable shop. $200 CAD to chop and weld. Out the door in less than an hour. I opted to keep the resonators for drone sake and plugged the weep holes myself with some high heat epoxy putty. It's loud. Every time I cold start it you can hear it from every room in the house and my neighbors hate me so there's that. My brother went with a catback straight pipe (resonators deleted) and that's just obnoxiously loud to me. Plus it drones quite a bit at cruising IMO.

I don't have a Durango but I imagine what you're describing is a lot like my set up. I just wanted to hear the HEMI when I got on it, but for it to be tolerable on the highway. RAM did a great job with sound deadening these trucks. When MDS kicks in you notice it at lower speeds but at highway cruising its pretty quiet. If you're looking to alter the sound a bit or completely eliminate any drone, another set up may be your solution.
Right on point, my exhaust is pretty loud outside the truck but inside i feel like I need more, finally I found a combo that satisfy my needs, still pretty quiet on the highway, I didn't wanted to delete the resonators because I know what it does and a muffler delete is just too loud for a pickup truck (I'll leave that for my 84 Z28)

Ron Dom

Reaction score
Flowmaster Flow FX. Easy install. Deepens the sound and sounds great when you get on it. Yet not too loud on the highway for long trips. Just the right balance for me... good luck!

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
After reading over many threads on here, and watching many videos I thought I’d try the borlaXS pro muffler and leave the rest stock. I ordered from Amazon and arrived yest. It’s 19” . I’m worried it’s not going to improve sound that much and not worth having it welded on. In which case of I wanted to swap it out for something else would that make it more difficult? With there being soo much discussion about exhausts and many threads I can’t find the member who highly recommended it. I believe it was somewhere when porboy was I swapping out one of his many exhausts.
Part # 40349
Borla 40349 Muffler ,Metallic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET0OU2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I will say for what it’s worth, I had the carven muffler which is a 10” muffler with no packing in it, and I thought it was pretty quiet but it droned a lot more than I thought it would with the resonators in tact. I removed the resonators and the sound was better and it was louder upon startup and when getting on it, but way quieter when cruising and there’s hardly any drone now! With NO resonators there’s considerably LESS drone. Go figure lol

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Muffler delete and kept the resonators, plugged weep holes as well. Sounds great, very minimal drone. When MDS is running though, doesn’t sound good at all lol but I always bypass that and run full Hemi V8. A little over $100 invested.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2 cents:
1. Magnaflow is great
2. Flowmaster is cheap crap
3. The B2 Fabrications kit is a high quality kit and muffler (many of us have this kit)
4. Borla and Corsa Catbacks are fantastic
4. Carven is good, but the I hate the popping sound of their muffler

Kibro2

Reaction score
I added MBRP muffler replacement to my Rebel and love it. I have been using MBRP products for many years now and really like their quality and sound improvements from everything to 6cyl Jeep to V-8s... reasonably priced and easy install from my experience. Sound video link below.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I added MBRP muffler replacement to my Rebel and love it. I have been using MBRP products for many years now and really like their quality and sound improvements from everything to 6cyl Jeep to V-8s... reasonably priced and easy install from my experience. Sound video link below.
I have heard very good things about MBRP and would agree...didn't even think about them as they are more of an obscure manufacturer that you don't hear about often.

Users who are viewing this thread