5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system with black 5" tips. Thing is unreal. It's actually amazing at how relaxed it is on the highway cruising around 62/100k. The cold start at -35c has been intoxicating haha. But to be honest it's amazing I'd never buy a V8 without upgrading again. A good buddy of mine has a 2018 ram sport with the mbrp and his should unreal too but it's definitely a noticable difference on how much more tolerable the Borla is on idle and cruise. The mbrp is also much more noticeable on MDS. When you get after the throttle tho this sucker screams! Sounds.like a NASCAR haha guarantee you will smile every...single...time...

The borla sound profile at wide open throttle, it's downright musical.
A Hemi with an aftermarket exhaust on it, is IMHO one of life's great simple pleasures.

Unlike a beer, or a good dinner - that you spend on once, have one, and enjoy once? (Don't get me wrong, I love me some good food LOL)
You get to enjoy a good exhaust everytime you drive.
Every. Single. Time.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The borla sound profile at wide open throttle, it's downright musical.
A Hemi with an aftermarket exhaust on it, is IMHO one of life's great simple pleasures.

Unlike a beer, or a good dinner - that you spend on once, have one, and enjoy once? (Don't get me wrong, I love me some good food LOL)
You get to enjoy a good exhaust everytime you drive.
Every. Single. Time.
Couldn't agree more... love my Borla ATAK!

Reaction score
Great comments! I'm in the chop and weld camp, with a Borla Pro XS (which is the same as the FM Flow FX, which is the same as a Magnaflow 14" I think?). They welded the peep holes at my request. Couldn't be happier, about $200 at Top Gun Muffler in Ft Walton Bch. With the OEM black tips I'm all set. More money for my Jeep parts (now there's a black hole if I've ever seen one lol).

Seadweller23

Reaction score
Borla S for me... I went back and forth for a year on whether or not I should put a cat back exhaust on. I am glad I did because I get so much enjoyment out of ‘that sound”. It now sounds like a truck... to me. Like the song says...

Eric_N

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to remove the stock exhaust without cutting it with only jack stands?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I’ve done a bunch of searches and watched a bunch of videos...there’s a few problems, one is like you said it can be subjective which is why I was hoping somebody had an aftermarket exhaust they could compare to a stock Durango RT so that there is a basis of comparison. Also as you said they are hard to capture on video, a lot of the exhausts are supposed to be louder or quieter or sound different but on video they start to sound pretty darn similar. And of the videos I’ve found, most of them are shot from right behind the exhaust. The problem there is, I’m not standing behind my own car, I’m sitting in the driver seat driving it. So trying to get videos and sound clips of regular acceleration and cruising speed from inside the cab (essentially what I do 95% of the time) vs videos of drive bys, sitting behind a parked car, revving, or wot pulls is hard to find.
I personally hate how all of the exhaust videos are just revving. This isn’t a sports car. I want to hear a cold start and idle for a minute as the RPMs settle. That’s what it will sound like when you actually buy one as I don’t know anyone who revs their engine like they are a 20 year old in a 2010 civic every day.

Here's a follow up video for you with interior sound and drive bys...

Scmil

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to remove the stock exhaust without cutting it with only jack stands?
I removed my OEM exhaust with just a floor jack. I lifted it on the back drivers side to get the complete pipe section weaved through. I think if you took the spare and shield off it would be easier, but it is doable without as well.

Cmwithers

Reaction score
I bought the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system with black 5" tips. Thing is unreal. It's actually amazing at how relaxed it is on the highway cruising around 62/100k. The cold start at -35c has been intoxicating haha. But to be honest it's amazing I'd never buy a V8 without upgrading again. A good buddy of mine has a 2018 ram sport with the mbrp and his should unreal too but it's definitely a noticable difference on how much more tolerable the Borla is on idle and cruise. The mbrp is also much more noticeable on MDS. When you get after the throttle tho this sucker screams! Sounds.like a NASCAR haha guarantee you will smile every...single...time...
Hi - do you have any drone with the s type at highway speeds? Thanks

Joshua022

Reaction score
I have the Corsa kit on my 21 with no front resonator. I love it and absolutely no drone as advertised but it is quieter than I wanted. These truck cabs are sooo well insulated I barely here it unless my windows are down.

My coworker has a gen4 with the carven full catback and it sounds amazing MUCH louder than my corsa at all times really. However his drones like crap cruising at 65mph, so bad that you can hear it in a vehicle driving next to him. IMO its either a small loud muffler and some drone, or a large (quieter) muffler for good noise but no drone. I dont see you being able to get both "loud" and no drone, so you gotta pick and choose based on what your looking for.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Borla pro xs muffler swap and I’m getting drone at 1300- 1700 rpm . Need to figure something out

redneck2

Reaction score
i could be wrong but are not these exhaust tuned to be no drone with out any stock parts left on

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Emailed borla and asked if this was normal and if there was any suggestions for me to try as to eliminate or lessen drone..

As per borla rep “The short answer is that you'll probably have drone until you install a cat-back system. Muffler swaps generally produce poor results. “

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
i have the corsa sport extreme cat back on my gmc & their is no drone & it is quiet at hiway speeds
Had one on both of my GMC Sierra Denali's and loved my Corsa...awesome, beautiful and extremely high quality exhausts!

DerekC

Reaction score
Hi - do you have any drone with the s type at highway speeds? Thanks
Not really if you are a steady foot or use cruise control. If you are on and off the throttle you can hear it but it's quite surprising actually. It's pretty tolerable and I promise that when you want it to bark... It does and it's unreal. You will not regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread