5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exhaust to get?

friendshipm

Reaction score
I bought the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system with black 5" tips. Thing is unreal. It's actually amazing at how relaxed it is on the highway cruising around 62/100k. The cold start at -35c has been intoxicating haha. But to be honest it's amazing I'd never buy a V8 without upgrading again. A good buddy of mine has a 2018 ram sport with the mbrp and his should unreal too but it's definitely a noticable difference on how much more tolerable the Borla is on idle and cruise. The mbrp is also much more noticeable on MDS. When you get after the throttle tho this sucker screams! Sounds.like a NASCAR haha guarantee you will smile every...single...time...
Who did you order your kit through? My usual shop out of Crossfield can't get Borla.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got confirmation it will be shipping out this week so hopefully I’ll have it in time for the weekend to install and review

Jason605

Reaction score
I just ordered the ATAK. I was thinking it might be too loud when towing but hell I drive a TT @ 80000 lbs on the highway 5 days a week and the truck is way louder than the Ram will ever be.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just ordered the ATAK. I was thinking it might be too loud when towing but hell I drive a TT @ 80000 lbs on the highway 5 days a week and the truck is way louder than the Ram will ever be.
You will love it.. definitely the way to go imo!

Nova90

Reaction score
Where are we seeing the best pricing for the Borla systems?

Klicht87

Reaction score
So I installed the Borla Atak yesterday. Let's just say, it let's people know you have a hemi. It's pretty damn loud. A good loud though. There's ZERO drone on the highway and absolutely no helicopter sounds from MDS. It's not even bad with the auto start/stop function. I do feel bad for neighborhoods so I did end up buying the borla resonator...same site (performancetruckproducts) for $197 with no tax. I'm hoping it takes away a little bit of that edge.
I admit I should have gone with the S-type but I read many threads where it wasn't too much quieter. I will provide an update next week after the resonator install.

Nova90

Reaction score
So I installed the Borla Atak yesterday. Let's just say, it let's people know you have a hemi. It's pretty damn loud. A good loud though. There's ZERO drone on the highway and absolutely no helicopter sounds from MDS. It's not even bad with the auto start/stop function. I do feel bad for neighborhoods so I did end up buying the borla resonator...same site (performancetruckproducts) for $197 with no tax. I'm hoping it takes away a little bit of that edge.
I admit I should have gone with the S-type but I read many threads where it wasn't too much quieter. I will provide an update next week after the resonator install.
Thanks for the update. I have been debating between the 2 options as well. I don't mind loud (want to wake up the sound of the Hemi a bit), but also worry about being the guy terrorizing the entire neighborhood.

Ramjack

Reaction score
<in a whiney voice> Oh, come on guys, ssssstop. I'm trying to leave my new Ram alone but you're making it ssssoooo hard.

Bambohunter

Reaction score
I too am debating s type or attack. I’m planning on just a muffler swap or is that a bad idea? Should I spend the extra and do full cat back?

Scarriere

Reaction score
I have the Magnaflow 19430, Which I believe is the same one but with the black tips.
I had a borla on my last Ram, I LOVED the soundprofile.

I went with the magnaflow as the borla system wasn't out yet (This was like December 2018ish). I also got a good deal on it.
So I think the borla soundprofile, particularly on the S-type and the ATAK types is just magic. I had a borla XR1 muffler (with the other pipes stock, resonators) on my old Ram and I loved how that thing rumbled. I've got a whoooole bunch of posts on that :ROFLMAO:
HOWEVER this magnaflow system is pretty good too.

IMHO the Borla might sound "better", but will be louder overall, and louder on cold start.
The Magnaflow unit is based on their 22in muffler, their largest one (vs the 14 and the 18. I measured mine and it appears to be their 22inch, that's what my tape measure said). As such it is mellow in the cabin with windows up. VERY livable for road trips.
It handles drone very very well. The cold starts are practically respectful, comparatively speaking anyway.
If you drop your windows and get on the gas pedal, you will hear the exhaust. It's my preferred way to drive!

It's a straight through design wise, so the flow is good (in terms of performance).

View attachment 90832

Overall?
If you LOVE the borla soundprofile, as I did, think hard about getting one.
Is the magnaflow still pretty good? I think so, and I'm someone who loved the borla sound. I used the savings on other mods.
It's "enough" muffler to enjoy it, it's respectful to the neighbors - and don't get me wrong, if you've heard the truck stock, you KNOW the truck is not stock.
To an untrained ear? They will see your badass truck and think it was sold that way and meant to sound that way!

I put that similar system on my Ex's '12 Ram.
I put the AFE system on my '17 Ram.
Those are both 3" and sound wicked.

I'm still thinking on which I'll go with. I installed long tubes so am a bit shy on getting another 3" system, my neighbours will hate me.
But I love the performance, so don't see going with 2.5 or 2.75 at all. It'll be AFE or Magnaflow, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread