5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This cold up in the northern midwest is simply brutal for car/truck batteries. Years ago I was in Alberta looking for an oil field job. I parked my trusty 77 gmc 400 propane powered 1 ton and the next morning the propane tank was frozen up. Wind had been blowing and it was -42 C which is basically -40 F.

It took till noon in the weak sun shining on the black painted side propane tank before it thawed. Had to get the truck jumped as well.

After that winter I departed for Arizona as I was done with cold, never been back. You northerners have my sympat, I mean respect for staying up there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This cold up in the northern midwest is simply brutal for car/truck batteries. Years ago I was in Alberta looking for an oil field job. I parked my trusty 77 gmc 400 propane powered 1 ton and the next morning the propane tank was frozen up. Wind had been blowing and it was -42 C which is basically -40 F.

It took till noon in the weak sun shining on the black painted side propane tank before it thawed. Had to get the truck jumped as well.

After that winter I departed for Arizona as I was done with cold, never been back. You northerners have my sympat, I mean respect for staying up there.
holy F -40F.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
holy F -40F.
Thats not too bad for Canuckers. Heres what the news said about yesterday up where I was living in Red Deer, AB:

By Sheldon Spackman
JANUARY 15

More record low temps set throughout central Alberta Monday​

Jan 16, 2024 | 12:31 PM

“The arctic air mass that made its way throughout Alberta over the past several days set a couple more temperature records throughout the region on Monday.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), the Three Hills area set a new record low temperature for January 15 on Monday, dipping to – 43.5 degrees Celsius, beating the old record of – 43.3 degrees Celsius set in 1950. Records in the Three Hills area have been kept since 1921.”

When using the C to F converter :

-43.5 °C = -46.3 °F

So I was off a few degrees, low.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats not too bad for Canuckers. Heres what the news said about yesterday up where I was living in Red Deer, AB:

By Sheldon Spackman
JANUARY 15

“The arctic air mass that made its way throughout Alberta over the past several days set a couple more temperature records throughout the region on Monday.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), the Three Hills area set a new record low temperature for January 15 on Monday, dipping to – 43.5 degrees Celsius, beating the old record of – 43.3 degrees Celsius set in 1950. Records in the Three Hills area have been kept since 1921.”

-43.5 °C = -46.3 °F

ok now i'm curious. how does it feel? i heard that when the temperature gets low enough to a point that it just feel the same.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok now i'm curious. how does it feel? i heard that when the temperature gets low enough to a point that it just feel the same.
Cold is cold. But we have about 3 months to get acclimated to the weather (Fall season). I've gone snowboarding in Vermont when it was -6 °F. You'll feel it more if you're just visiting, and coming from some where warm. Your body needs time to adjust.

Camelot

Reaction score

I grow up in Sweden, same latitude parallel as Anchorage, Alaska. We hit -40C a few times when I was in the Army. Not a big deal if you dress for it, exposed skin can get frost bitten quickly. The air is normally dry at these temperatures. Most cars back then had a plug in engine heather, negative 40C takes toll on your battery. Now live in MI where winters are short and mild. But FL sounds better and better every year :)

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lived in Az for 3 years and wish I was back there again. Midwest weather and IL suck!!! Maybe some day!

Peebs1021

Reaction score

By Sheldon Spackman
JANUARY 15

-43.5 °C = -46.3 °F

That pesky global warming is at it again.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Time to cue the "that's not hi', why when I was in (blank) it was - (random 3 digit number) as I walked to school both ways!"

All this has got do do with RAm trucks is uhh, keep it plugged in I suppose.

I did live in a town where light posts and some free standing poles had outlets built in for engine block heaters. Anymore if I see one of those I know I am in the wrong place...

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'll take Az over the humidity :cool:

I absolutely hate hot, humid weather, but the heat in AZ sucks almost as bad. I lived there for 20 years and the constant 110°+ temps just wear on you. You can't do anything, unless you're neck deep in a pool or indoors. No thanks...I'll take 4 seasons any day over that crap.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I absolutely hate hot, humid weather, but the heat in AZ sucks almost as bad. I lived there for 20 years and the constant 110°+ temps just wear on you. You can't do anything, unless you're neck deep in a pool or indoors. No thanks...I'll take 4 seasons any day over that crap.
I've lived in 4 seasons for 49 years, you can have it! :ROFLMAO: what 4 months of heat, maybe 5 and the rest great!! I'll take that anyday.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I've lived in 4 seasons for 49 years, you can have it! :ROFLMAO: what 4 months of heat, maybe 5 and the rest great!! I'll take that anyday.

Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...until you actually live there for a while. After 10 years in AZ, I couldn't stand that place from April 1st to October 31st. Every freaking day is sunny and that annoys me to no end. We had a house in AZ and ID for 6 years. I did enjoy AZ in January/February, but other than that, I would much rather be in the woods of North Idaho.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Cleaned off the truck and drove it's maiden voyage in the snow. Surprisingly the tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L) did really really well. Much better than I thought they would.
Also, took it to the dealer to try and diagnose the vibration I feel in the steering wheel when in 4HI/4Auto.
Take a wild guess that they came back with? You have three chances and four of them don't count. I'll have to take it back when the roads are clear and take the tech out myself so show them.
1705520429659.png

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
3b55d4b075db2291a48059329e124574.jpg

At least with it being so cold, the roads are frozen not wet = clean truck.

Since we are talking about cold.

Haven’t driven the truck in about two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread