5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing this...
View attachment 171003
View attachment 171004

Removing the old badge was way more challenging than is should have been, but I persisted and got it done with minimal damage. That said if anyone ever removes the badge they are going to scratch their head :ROFLMAO:
Where did you get that made? That’s pretty bad*ss. That would look good in my truck with NightHawk on it. 🤣

Insanity

Reaction score

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did it take to remove? I’m thinking of getting one made.
The original is glued on, I used some heat to soften it a bit and that helped. The issue I had was getting a trim tool in a good enough position to pry it out, as I did not want to damage the lid. I tried everything I had and nothing would get the leverage needed.

I finally relented and gave up on not saving the original badge and used a drill and made some holes that gave me the leverage needed. Finally popped off.

That said, accidentally drilled a bit too far and went into the lid itself, which then added bits of plastic rattling in the hallow lid....so that added more work for me as I have no desire to hear that rattle. So what should have taken a few minutes turned into 2 hours of frustration.

If you are not worried about saving the original badge, I would just drill a sheet metal screw into the badge to give you something to grip and that should be enough to get it off. That is what would I do if I had to do it again.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She actually recently added some new material to her lineup, and the badges look even more like OEM if that is what you're after. She sent me this one to try, and while both were excellent quality, the newer material really does look better in my opinion.

View attachment 171038
That does look good! I would agree that mine is a bit too shinny/reflective.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my son and I worked and cleaned out the 74' 4x4 and this truck has been sitting since 1989, I have to say I am pretty content with how well it came out. Found only one rat carcass, I got rid of the factory insulation as it just harbors water, mold and rust.

I took some time and quickly patched the front seat to slow down the decay of the foam.

Condition-wise, the passenger floorboard has holes so that will need to be addressed but it is still very solid and held my weight without issue. Driver side looks worse, but its actually better, and no holes 🙌

w100 - 3.jpg
w100 - 2.jpg
w100.jpg

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What wheels are you running? I love the look. Especially the bronze.
Im not doing crazy overlanding, so Im probably going to opt for simulated bead lock rims
method 305nv 18x9 -12mm
these are not bead locks. they are bead lock style.

Unclepoot

Reaction score
The original is glued on, I used some heat to soften it a bit and that helped. The issue I had was getting a trim tool in a good enough position to pry it out, as I did not want to damage the lid. I tried everything I had and nothing would get the leverage needed.

I finally relented and gave up on not saving the original badge and used a drill and made some holes that gave me the leverage needed. Finally popped off.

That said, accidentally drilled a bit too far and went into the lid itself, which then added bits of plastic rattling in the hallow lid....so that added more work for me as I have no desire to hear that rattle. So what should have taken a few minutes turned into 2 hours of frustration.

If you are not worried about saving the original badge, I would just drill a sheet metal screw into the badge to give you something to grip and that should be enough to get it off. That is what would I do if I had to do it again.
Thanks for the heads up!

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think a non-LT tire would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: New truck and tires don't match the sticker...?

Now I just have to figure out what tire to go with that will give me a nice (and quiet?) ride but still has some off-road capabilities. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Rebel Side view.jpg
    Rebel Side view.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Side view before rebels.jpg
    Side view before rebels.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 136

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a set of Rebel 18" takeoffs on yesterday. I posted before and after pictures for comparison. Even though I don't do much off-roading, I do a little, and was very uncomfortable with the narrow sidewalls of the 22's. I love having the extra 2" on the 18's. I thought the ride was good with the 22's but do believe it is a little better with the 18's, even though they are LT tires. I plan on replacing them with non-LT tires sometime in the near future (the takeoffs came to me with only about 25% left). After just a short trip, there doesn't seem to be any difference in MPG. The Wrangler tires do have a noticeable road noise hum which is to be expected.

There is less than an inch difference in diameter with the Rebels being slightly larger. The original set up with 285/45 R22 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires is 83 pounds, the Rebel set up with LT275/70 R18 Goodyear Wranglers is 82 pounds. According to my research, going with a non-LT tire would shave about 10 pounds off of that. Would be interesting to see how that effects ride and MPG. Still debating if I want to do that. I don't do enough off-roading that I need to be too concerned about having an LT tire. I think a non-LT tire would definitely improve the ride (though it's not bad now).

The 18" rims are a very tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance. I can see how others have had trouble with the balancing weights rubbing if they aren't placed toward the outside of the rim. If you are considering going to 18", I guess you need to be careful about aftermarket rims not fitting.

If you're wondering why I originally had 22s (which I didn't want), you can see that story here: New truck and tires don't match the sticker...?

Now I just have to figure out what tire to go with that will give me a nice (and quiet?) ride but still has some off-road capabilities. Any suggestions?
In that exact size, I thought only a few General Tire carcasses came as non LT, pick your tread? ATX fit the bill? I probably will go with 20" takeoffs to get into far more choices of non LT tires.

familywagon

Reaction score

Can I have your 22’s? 😁

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Looks great! If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you get the takeoffs for? I’m looking for a set with decent tread on them.

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Looks great! If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you get the takeoffs for? I’m looking for a set with decent tread on them.
I paid $600 - a little more than I wanted considering only about 25% left on the tires but I wanted to get it done. And, I figured I would probably be changing the rubber soon anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread