5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Reaction score
Installed my RetraxOne XR today, couldn't justify the extra $850cdn for the Pro, it (One model) was already almost $500 more then the Bakflip X4S. I was orginally looking at the X4S but after much debate I decided on the Retrax. My sticking point was bed space but I don't use the full bed really that much at all. In the last 3 years I could maybe count 4 or 5 times that I needed the full bed with cover closed.

This is my first cover that A) isn't flush with the bed rails and B) takes up bed space. So time will tell if it bothers me or not. Worst case I'll sell and get the X4S.
20220926_143518.jpg
20220926_143536.jpg
20220926_143550.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my RetraxOne XR today, couldn't justify the extra $850cdn for the Pro, it (One model) was already almost $500 more then the Bakflip X4S. I was orginally looking at the X4S but after much debate I decided on the Retrax. My sticking point was bed space but I don't use the full bed really that much at all. In the last 3 years I could maybe count 4 or 5 times that I needed the full bed with cover closed.

This is my first cover that A) isn't flush with the bed rails and B) takes up bed space. So time will tell if it bothers me or not. Worst case I'll sell and get the X4S.

What is it about the Retrax that made you feel like it was worth $500 more than a Revolver X4S (or did you mean BakFlip MX4?)?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see you mounted it over your Rambar. I have the same setup (RetraxPro, but it's an XR) over a Rambar. If you're interested in getting the forward section to sit a little more flush, here's what I did:

Bought the flattest-headed bolts I could find that work (don't need the female half, just the male bolts):

Before and after pictures. Still not "flush", but it closes up the gap better:

1664221937932.png

1664221963561.png

Reaction score
What is it about the Retrax that made you feel like it was worth $500 more than a Revolver X4S (or did you mean BakFlip MX4?)?
I was indeed talking about the X4S, as I just removed the Bakflip MX4 cover from my truck. It didn't work well with the MX4 cover, only 2 panels opened and the 2nd one would have to rest on the Rambar.

Why did I think the extra $500 was worth it. The Retrax just over all feels more premium even with the Polycarbonate (Lexan) material. I also liked the XR rails (extra $129) so in the future I can built a racking system for stuff like bikes, kayaks, cargo basket/plastic box etc..

I def would have gone with the aluminum, but I just couldn't justify like $1400 more for it over the cost of the X4S. The PRO would have been over $3000 in Canada and I don't use my bed daily. I still think the ONE is a great cover and it won't get as hot in the summer compared to the PRO. Time will tell.

Most of all, I just liked the way the cover works. Yes I loose bed space but it's easier to open and close with my truck being lifted. I think the X4S would be a little more difficult rolling up and strapping down with the lift and the Rambar - I'd have to get up into the bed to lock it down. Plus I like that I can open and lock this anywhere along the bed, where X4S is open all the way or closed.

I see you mounted it over your Rambar. I have the same setup (RetraxPro, but it's an XR) over a Rambar. If you're interested in getting the forward section to sit a little more flush, here's what I did:

Bought the flattest-headed bolts I could find that work (don't need the female half, just the male bolts):

Before and after pictures. Still not "flush", but it closes up the gap better:

I'm good with what I got, the bolts and gap are perfect plus I don't want to take it apart again to change the bolts haha.

I did think about those connector bolts, my concern was they are something that is used for furniture so I was worried about strength. Plus they are not stainless so they will eventually rust.

I may think about it down the road but I think with the added foam and button head bolts I'm good. But I appreciate the suggestion, I may do it down the road. I'm always changing things.

20220926_145347.jpg
20220926_145353.jpg
20220926_151354.jpg

Reaction score
I see you mounted it over your Rambar. I have the same setup (RetraxPro, but it's an XR) over a Rambar.

Since you have the RetraxPRO, could I bother you to take a picture of the locking mechanism that locks passenger side.

The ONE only has a lock system on driver side, the cover locks in place and it's secure. But if I can add the mechanism that allows both sides to lock and it's not too expensive I'd think about adding it.

I did see one person with the RetraxONE on another truck that added a full second locking mechanism with handle. But that would involve 2 different keys, cutting the aluminum tailgate piece to install it and having to unlock both sides either time. The PRO only has 1 key/handle but locks on both sides, I assume they use a bar and some kind of linkage to allow this to lock on passenger side as well.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since you have the RetraxPRO, could I bother you to take a picture of the locking mechanism that locks passenger side.

The ONE only has a lock system on driver side, the cover locks in place and it's secure. But if I can add the mechanism that allows both sides to lock and it's not too expensive I'd think about adding it.

I did see one person with the RetraxONE on another truck that added a full second locking mechanism with handle. But that would involve 2 different keys, cutting the aluminum tailgate piece to install it and having to unlock both sides either time. The PRO only has 1 key/handle but locks on both sides, I assume they use a bar and some kind of linkage to allow this to lock on passenger side as well.
Not the best picture, but is this what you're looking for? There's a rod that runs across the tonneau (you can't see it in this pic) that actuates it.

RetraxPro right lock.jpg

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on where you buy them, it's cheaper to buy through a store that will price match, than buying online and then paying a shop to have them mounted. Some store include mount/balance into the price of the tires, or will charge more to mount tire you didn't buy from them
I just waited until the dealership was having their seasonal change over specials and then have them mounted. It worked out for me.

Reaction score
Not the best picture, but is this what you're looking for? There's a rod that runs across the tonneau (you can't see it in this pic) that actuates it.

View attachment 139889

Looks simple enough to add down the road. Thanks.

My cover doesn't move when lock, but if it's reasonable I may think about adding it. If Retrax will sell me the parts.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Emptied my catch can and looked at my air filter. And drank a beer. Tough life
fceda1dcde6e811c6151cfc94985064b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked at these wheels and wished I had a white truck... I think it would be too much blue for my truck SmartSelect_20220924_130027_Samsung Internet.jpg

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems you are bothered by the peace and tranquility that now exists in my home.....

Why?

Why did you feel the need to put this forward?

Why?
Lol they're exclusive to Discount Tire or Americas Tire (depending where you live). I just might swing by and see if they have one in stock, just to compare the color to my truck.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you live where there is salt. They corrode within two winters.

If that helps curve your desire to run them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir. This does help.

Even though they would likely be summer wheels only......

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally ordered & installed the rear Hellwig sway bar. I live off some quite windy & hilly backroads & it really does make a difference, even with the air suspension this go around. I could take curves rated with 30-35 mph signs between 50-60 no problem. I miss the Trans Am I sold earlier this year & even though the Ram isn’t as fast, it handles similar to a sports car with the SB added. Glad I picked up even though the price is a lot higher than it used to be. I got it in 3 days for $391 & free shipping through Summit Racing.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I've think I've heard enough buzz about this sway bar to add to my list officially.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on where you buy them, it's cheaper to buy through a store that will price match, than buying online and then paying a shop to have them mounted. Some store include mount/balance into the price of the tires, or will charge more to mount tire you didn't buy from them
Fair point, but I have a buddy that owns his own shop. He usually does it for me at no cost. I just take them off and drop them off with the new tires and he takes care of me. Then I'll reinstall. He just fits it in during the day between other appointments.

Users who are viewing this thread