5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Might want to read the fine print. Usually the unlimited alignment is voided if you change components, in most contracts.
I only purchased it after ensuring that it would apply if I changed my suspension. I actually got it because I added the spacers and needed an alignment.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only purchased it after ensuring that it would apply if I changed my suspension. I actually got it because I added the spacers and needed an alignment.

I usually just tell them I was traveling and hit a pothole or something or wait for your next tire rotation and have them check it and align it then again. No issues with my previous truck.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New shoes! Yokohama Geolandar X-AT LT295/70R18. The math works out to 34.3 x 11.6", but Yokohama's specs have them a bit larger, at 34.6 x 12". This makes them as tall or taller, but narrower, than many 35 x 12.5" tires.

I previously had Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in an XL rated 305/60R18 (32.4.x 12.24" per Nitto's specs). I had not complaints about those tires in the ~ 8,000 miles I put on them, but after I put my Fox lift on, I wanted to go bigger.

The X-AT is definitely a more rugged tire than the Terra Grappler. Much deeper tread, bigger blocks and wider grooves. Many of the reviews I've come across consider the X-ATs a hybrid tire, like the Nitto Ridge Grappler, and this makes sense considering Yokohama also sells the less aggressive Geolandar A/T G015. So I expect lower mileage, a bit more road noise, and shorter tread life (warranted at 45K vs 65K for the XL rated Nitto).

Of course, they're taller, by about 2.3", and narrower by about a quarter inch. However, the actual tread tread area is almost 1" narrower, so the difference in width looks more significant than the 0.4" that you'd expect for 295 vs 305. This isn't such a bad thing; perhaps I'll get less dirt sprayed onto my rock panels when driving on dirt roads.

Another difference is these are not Three-Peak Mountain Snow rated like my Nittos. Living in the Atlanta area, this isn't a big deal; snow is a rarity here. But something others considering this tire might want to be aware of.

The only driving I've done on them so far is the 2.5 miles from the tire shop, so it's much too early to form a judgement about anything other than looks and fit. We're going camping this weekend, so this will give the tires some highway time, as well as some forest service roads. They won't see any significant off roading any time soon, but we might wander on to some rutted dirt roads.

I've done some minor trimming already, mostly zip tying the wheel well liners out of the way, and have a little more to do (following this excellent guide), but nothing drastic. Often asked is "What's the largest tire I can fit?" For my lift and wheels (18" +1 offset), this tire comes close to answering that; any bigger would require more work. I debated going to 305/70R18 (35x12.4" according to Yokohama; again, a bit bigger than the math would suggest), and it's possible I could get those to fit with just a bit more trimming (and/or adjusting the preload on the Fox front struts; I could go up another half inch in front), but this was a safe choice. More so, I plan on getting a 5th tire soon to use as a full size spare. If I can fit this tire under the bed, it'll just fit; the 305/70R18 would probably have no chance.

It's too early to say much about the ride, but so far, I'm happy with my choice.

P.S. I'll be listing the Nittos soon, if anyone is interested.

tempImageFK0dFc.jpg tempImageYjL8m2.jpg

chuck01835

Reaction score
4820be6499e6a15322d31edcf1329e9d.jpg

Finally had a couple hour window where temps were in the 30s to wash it nice and good like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you get it so shiny?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

HemiDude

Reaction score
Pulled my tow hooks off and removed the yellow and repainted black. Wasn’t feeling it. I have some ideas and may retry later.

Interesting. I thought the yellow looked really good, something other than black or chrome

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Replaced my Extang Trifecta 2.0 soft folding tonneau with a RetraxONE MX. Had it installed by a local company since install was free with purchase, but I see I still have to adjust it a bit as there is a bit of interference with the passenger side Rambox... and they said they couldn't get the passenger side tailgate side to sit even with the driver side so it sits very slightly higher. If leveled, it would gouge the plastic on the top of the tailgate cover. Anyway, I'll see what I can do with it, and replace the seals in the tailgate gap, when I get the motivation because I'm not too confident in their abilities. Slides nice, though.

Dirty pics...

20220217_130507.jpg 20220217_130515.jpg

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replaced my Extang Trifecta 2.0 soft folding tonneau with a RetraxONE MX. Had it installed by a local company since install was free with purchase, but I see I still have to adjust it a bit as there is a bit of interference with the passenger side Rambox... and they said they couldn't get the passenger side tailgate side to sit even with the driver side so it sits very slightly higher. If leveled, it would gouge the plastic on the top of the tailgate cover. Anyway, I'll see what I can do with it, and replace the seals in the tailgate gap, when I get the motivation because I'm not too confident in their abilities. Slides nice, though.

Dirty pics...

View attachment 120848 View attachment 120849

Looks great! And lol at the dirty pics, that truck is spotless compared to mine that just came out of the car wash and then drove home, up here in NY.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought the yellow looked really good, something other than black or chrome
It did by itself, but I have my DRL's set to the Amber Turn Signals and the mismatch in color wasn't something my OCD could handle, so I spent an hour with a bench grinder & wire wheel, and a wire wheel on a side grinder and got it all off then I went with satin black, actually looks better than the factory coating which I think is a light powder coat. The paint actually filled in some of the roughness of the factory coating, so I am back to black & happy.

My other thought is to leave them as-is and tape them off and paint the interior portion yellow and try and match it as close as possible with the turn signal amber/yellow. May end up having to get something custom mixed to match correctly.

Edited to add a pic of a sad attempt at representing what I'm talking about.
IMG_3144.jpg

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
It did by itself, but I have my DRL's set to the Amber Turn Signals and the mismatch in color wasn't something my OCD could handle, so I spent an hour with a bench grinder & wire wheel, and a wire wheel on a side grinder and got it all off then I went with satin black, actually looks better than the factory coating which I think is a light powder coat. The paint actually filled in some of the roughness of the factory coating, so I am back to black & happy.

My other thought is to leave them as-is and tape them off and paint the interior portion yellow and try and match it as close as possible with the turn signal amber/yellow. May end up having to get something custom mixed to match correctly.

View attachment 120856
Unfortunately I think you would rarely see the color that way, unless you were standing right in front of the truck

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 120856
I, as a Gator, would never endorse this, but you could do purple and gold.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s kinda the idea, it would be subtle, yet match the theme of the other things I’ve already done.

You do you but I think all black tow hooks is the way to go with your blacked out truck. You have plenty of other options for yellow accents. This is coming from a Steelers fan who loves their black and yellow but sometimes less is more.

Users who are viewing this thread