5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What sucks all the more is that with this new fly by wire pedal, all I get is mushy acceleration unless I completely mash it.
It does have some lag. Mine was pretty bad and the dealership told me "that's just the way these trucks are" every time I complained about it.

Many have installed a throttle position controller (Banks, Vitesse, Pedal Commander, etc.) but I'm not interested in spending that kind of $$$ to "fix" the issue.

I ran across a post awhile ago (don't remember who's) that described how to reset your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It fixed most of the issue I was having. The best way I can describe it is that the throttle still has a delay but it doesn't have as bad of a lag.

Here's the procedure to 'reset' your TPS:

Get in your truck, shut the door, and don't touch anything else while you do this:

1. Push the start button twice to RUN (do NOT start the truck).

2. Slowly depress the gas pedal to the floor and slowly release (should take you about 10-15 seconds).

3. Push the start button once to OFF.

4. Open your door to turn off your accessories/circuits.

It's not a fix like a programming change (or adding a controller) but it's free and you can do it any time you want.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Impressive. To say the least.
Yeah, I guess it's not bad. My 2008 Tundra TRD with a 5.7 got about 18-19 mpg with a 70/30 mix of city/highway with the stock wheels and tires. Once I installed aftermarket wheels and tires my mileage dropped to ~16.5 mpg. I purposely bought XL tires this time so I didn't take such a big hit on mileage but I'm sure my tires are still hurting my mpg's.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In certain situations, yes. Highway driving at speeds above 70-75 mph is the most obvious example. City driving will be negligible.

There are probably just as many of us 3.92'ers that get as good or better than the EPA estimates. My current tank is 100% city driving and I'm at 17 mpg. I haven't done a trip that was 100% highway or 50/50 city/highway to get an average yet, so I'm not sure if an increase in highway miles will be detrimental to my mpg's.
I’ve never done a 100% city but I have done a 100% highway, some parts it was 65 and other parts 70 and I averaged 19.8mpg, I was very happy with that result.one thing I am missing though is hills…😂 that plays a factor too lol

Shark875

Reaction score
Back in July, I downsized from a Cummins powered, 2012 Ram 2500 MegaCab to the tiny, EcoDiesel, 2021, 1500, Limited, CrewCab. I named this truck "Cripple X". I've been driving the wheels off of it, cuz that's what I do. 14 weeks, 13,000 miles. I love this truck. It averages near 28mpg for me. Yesterday, I finally put Cripple X to the test. Time to work and earn her keep.

Closing down activity at the lake. Time to bring the boat home for the winter. I asked Cripple X to work beyond its rated capacity and she did not disappoint. It ain't no Cummins but this little ecodiesel handled everything just fine. Sure it didn't accelerate as quickly up the hills but she still climbed, accelerating all the way. The pedal never saw the floor, I don't see the point to push it to redline. I worked this truck but didn't abuse it. The air suspension is also very impressive. The truck had no sag on the rear axle, even before I cranked in the weight distributing hitch.

View attachment 108294 View attachment 108292 View attachment 108295 View attachment 108290
That's impressive

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never done a 100% city but I have done a 100% highway, some parts it was 65 and other parts 70 and I averaged 19.8mpg, I was very happy with that result.one thing I am missing though is hills…😂 that plays a factor too lol
I've done a long trip in mine. Most of the drive was 70-75mph with some 65mph, and some 80mph. I averaged close to 19mpg as well, and that included hills.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Silly 3.92ers! And killing the environment! Greta will not be pleased!!
2f2a95e14a7cb204cbc49dd59e0fe919.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did some more work today on the ram.

So since I have the vararam Cai, I didn't want to cut some of the oem trim for the plastic cover over the radiator. Found and ordered a replacement ($45) and took the factory one off, and cut into the one I ordered. Looks good.

Then finally, some lighting in the bumper..lol.
6784f8e180c1e145f9501c3eecd008c9.jpg
a8074c9c48a82ddf18f1a807cf35e1ac.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does have some lag. Mine was pretty bad and the dealership told me "that's just the way these trucks are" every time I complained about it.

Many have installed a throttle position controller (Banks, Vitesse, Pedal Commander, etc.) but I'm not interested in spending that kind of $$$ to "fix" the issue.

I ran across a post awhile ago (don't remember who's) that described how to reset your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It fixed most of the issue I was having. The best way I can describe it is that the throttle still has a delay but it doesn't have as bad of a lag.

Here's the procedure to 'reset' your TPS:

Get in your truck, shut the door, and don't touch anything else while you do this:

1. Push the start button twice to RUN (do NOT start the truck).

2. Slowly depress the gas pedal to the floor and slowly release (should take you about 10-15 seconds).

3. Push the start button once to OFF.

4. Open your door to turn off your accessories/circuits.

It's not a fix like a programming change (or adding a controller) but it's free and you can do it any time you want.
Thanks for posting this procedure again here, I was trying to search on the forum the other day for TPS but got no hits. apparently the forum search function, will not find three letter acronyms. (who knew) :unsure:

356super

Reaction score
Added OEM power running boards and configured in Alfa. Took about 2-1/2 hours.

75afd79bc561afba657137405c15ab0b.jpg

df914ecdf5bc939e49689c6225334fc2.jpg

12ae2c8b4d77add9505aa33e4577f910.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put Amp Research power steps on my Ram and I am very disappointed. They are literally 7" from the ground. My 91yr old mom can't get into the truck because they are so low. I guess if you have a lifted truck they would be ok. I had them on my 2005 Sierra and they worked great for 15 years. Amps response was (That's just the way the are.) Just ordered a set from Mopar. Going to swap them out. Nice to see you detailed the installation time and that they can be flashed with alfaOBD.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I put Amp Research power steps on my Ram and I am very disappointed. They are literally 7" from the ground. My 91yr old mom can't get into the truck because they are so low. I guess if you have a lifted truck they would be ok. I had them on my 2005 Sierra and they worked great for 15 years. Amps response was (That's just the way the are.) Just ordered a set from Mopar. Going to swap them out. Nice to see you detailed the installation time and that they can be flashed with alfaOBD.
The Mopar steps are 11.5" off the ground.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just finished up a 450 mile road trip today, went to Tampa to pick up a set of running boards from another now former ram owner. Truck did awesome, I got 18.2 mpg going up there on roads
70-75 which I’m pretty happy about.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I always use Fuelly.

The issue I'm having in my truck is that when I usually fill up my tank from 1/4 tank. I can never put the same amount of gas in it so my MPG's can look horrible one time or really good another time. I noticed that sometimes the needle moves past the full line and other times it's right before the full line. I even try waiting 30 seconds again and adding more, but it shows it's full even though I know it's not.
Oh huh that is odd, mine is consistent. It always goes past the full mark and then after about 30 miles of normal driving it actually points to full. I always try to do the 30 second rule. Maybe a calibration issue?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh huh that is odd, mine is consistent. It always goes past the full mark and then after about 30 miles of normal driving it actually points to full. I always try to do the 30 second rule. Maybe a calibration issue?
I thought it was a calibration, but it's not. The amount that I put in also varies anywhere from 16-19 gallons. It just started happening more and more. Out of the last 10 fillups I've probably been able to get it to go past full once. I usually do the 30 second rule as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was a calibration, but it's not. The amount that I put in also varies anywhere from 16-19 gallons. It just started happening more and more. Out of the last 10 fillups I've probably been able to get it to go past full once. I usually do the 30 second rule as well.
What is this 30 second rule? If it involves "topping off" the tank after it automatically kicks the pump off, then you created the issue

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is this 30 second rule? If it involves "topping off" the tank after it automatically kicks the pump off, then you created the issue
As in my other post I don’t believe that this causes the issue. I’m not big on topping off as I know the issues it causes and with me just trying to make sure it truly went off because it’s full will not cause this issues. I have friends and family that don’t ever listen to me that are the type of people that top off their cars/trucks multiple times and have never caused an issue. If I wouldn’t try putting fuel again in my truck after the first one I would sometimes only have a little over 3/4 of a tank most of the time. It never goes to full regardless of my second pump.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As in my other post I don’t believe that this causes the issue. I’m not big on topping off as I know the issues it causes and with me just trying to make sure it truly went off because it’s full will not cause this issues. I have friends and family that don’t ever listen to me that are the type of people that top off their cars/trucks multiple times and have never caused an issue. If I wouldn’t try putting fuel again in my truck after the first one I would sometimes only have a little over 3/4 of a tank most of the time. It never goes to full regardless of my second pump.
I posted in that thread also with a link for a bunch of reading. There have been issues with vent valves and canisters, so you can’t rule it out completely.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted in that thread also with a link for a bunch of reading. There have been issues with vent valves and canisters, so you can’t rule it out completely.
I just want to get to the point where I can get the dealership to replace it and in hopes that I can upgrade to a 33 gallon tank lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to get to the point where I can get the dealership to replace it and in hopes that I can upgrade to a 33 gallon tank lol
Are you driving nonstop to where you need that range? I really don’t understand why people want a larger gas tank. That’s just more weight they’re hauling around all the time. I get that a lot of people don’t care about that though.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you driving nonstop to where you need that range? I really don’t understand why people want a larger gas tank. That’s just more weight they’re hauling around all the time. I get that a lot of people don’t care about that though.
I just feel like it would be nice when I tow things around to have the bigger tank. On this road trip I'm about to take I would definitely love to have the long range. Going up to the Rockies it's a 16 hour drive for me. I usually do drive non-stop until I have to use the RR or get hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread