5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done a ton of spring swaps in my life and I always think twice before doing it. I've had two pop off and hit something behind me(old 91 Camaro back when I was 18). I had one that I tried to save, a friends Mazdaspeed 3, that came off the spring compressor and hit me in the arm while trying to tell him to stop. :| Those things hurt... Worst one that I had that is spring related is when I was installing the spring they used on the 91 Camaro doors. It popped off and hit me in the eye. Instant black eye and a headache that lasted a day.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still going back-and-forth on whether I should just take it to my family shop and do the install with a wall-mounted spring compressor. I just don’t want to listen to stories all day while I’m trying to work….

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m still going back-and-forth on whether I should just take it to my family shop and do the install with a wall-mounted spring compressor. I just don’t want to listen to stories all day while I’m trying to work….
Just take your time and make sure they are sitting correct on the springs and you should be fine. Man if you lived close by I would be out there helping! I want to see how it looks and drives after it gets done! Did you ever get the top hats?

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took a little drive on my lunch hour to get the truck cleaned
7b50ae6fa091b8abd79ac88d0ec368d8.jpeg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just take your time and make sure they are sitting correct on the springs and you should be fine. Man if you lived close by I would be out there helping! I want to see how it looks and drives after it gets done! Did you ever get the top hats?
That would be fun if you could help out, too bad you’re not closer. I did get the upper strut mounts, but if you’re thinking about it, it’s not worth it. Eibach’s images made it look like there were lower strut mounts with the springs and shocks. In reality, they couldn’t source them from the Manufacturer so I have to take my struts apart anyway or spend another $90 on lower mounts and isolators (and that’s wholesale price). I just spent $86 on the upper strut mounts and insulators. That together makes taking them apart worth it.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be fun if you could help out, too bad you’re not closer. I did get the upper strut mounts, but if you’re thinking about it, it’s not worth it. Eibach’s images made it look like there were lower strut mounts with the springs and shocks. In reality, they couldn’t source them from the Manufacturer so I have to take my struts apart anyway or spend another $90 on lower mounts and isolators (and that’s wholesale price). I just spent $86 on the upper strut mounts and insulators. That together makes taking them apart worth it.
Yeah I don’t want to take apart my factory struts. I want to be able to do a quick swap. I’ll see if I the dealer can get me some on order if I go this route.
Let us know the outcome

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Ram decal on tonneau cover..and yes i sliced it. My daughter who helped me put it on , actually about closed it after all that work before cutting it. 🤣

And a hellwig sway bar. And love that mod, it made the slouch when accelerating diminish!

Attachments

• 4CF7EE62-DD82-41EC-8198-98626A6DCC83.jpeg
    4CF7EE62-DD82-41EC-8198-98626A6DCC83.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 164
  • E60460E0-6032-4269-9933-42E706957CEB.jpeg
    E60460E0-6032-4269-9933-42E706957CEB.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 160
  • EFD5556D-14AD-4D09-BDA9-7E00C7E8CCEF.jpeg
    EFD5556D-14AD-4D09-BDA9-7E00C7E8CCEF.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 156
  • A2F8A93B-9D12-48C1-B3A8-E2AE44F71504.jpeg
    A2F8A93B-9D12-48C1-B3A8-E2AE44F71504.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 081F0AA9-DA7F-4610-B27D-85A421056B9F.jpeg
    081F0AA9-DA7F-4610-B27D-85A421056B9F.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 654F7921-8A25-4878-808C-E2C23F4E591F.jpeg
    654F7921-8A25-4878-808C-E2C23F4E591F.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 172

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was your gap worse than mine?
Yes, but I had the other avs deflector, the AVS lightshield. I had about a 3/8 x 2" gap where I circled, I returned it. They told me that they were working on a sport hood lightshield and it would be available by last February, still waiting :sleep:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t want to take apart my factory struts. I want to be able to do a quick swap. I’ll see if I the dealer can get me some on order if I go this route.
Let us know the outcome
At this point I’m saying F it and taking apart my stock struts. I’ll probably order new lower strut mounts and isolators, and when they’re off backorder, I’ll put the stock ones back together so I can sell the eibach as a “complete kit” when I trade in this truck in a few years. I’m pretty annoyed at the misrepresentation from eibach.

I will say, I’m still pretty excited to put these on and see how they ride.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a ton of spring swaps in my life and I always think twice before doing it. I've had two pop off and hit something behind me(old 91 Camaro back when I was 18). I had one that I tried to save, a friends Mazdaspeed 3, that came off the spring compressor and hit me in the arm while trying to tell him to stop. :| Those things hurt... Worst one that I had that is spring related is when I was installing the spring they used on the 91 Camaro doors. It popped off and hit me in the eye. Instant black eye and a headache that lasted a day.
Never had an issue with the parts store rental spring compressors. Just have to be smart and work back and forth from one to another when tightening and loosening. And make sure they are on opposite sides. Just did my Bilstein 5100s on Saturday using them.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To rub salt in the wound, they offered to roll the negative equity into the new truck loan for a total of $95,750. I had to stop myself from laughing at that.
Wow. That would have been crazy. And Here i was feeling bad about my 34k balance on my 21 bts. I was also thinking on holding off for an electric before i pulled the trigger and traded in 2017 base model. But then not liking the look on any of the upcoming ones, rivian and ford. Been very happy with ram but the electric is a few years away and i would not try to get it on the 1st year of production

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. That would have been crazy. And Here i was feeling bad about my 34k balance on my 21 bts. I was also thinking on holding off for an electric before i pulled the trigger and traded in 2017 base model. But then not liking the look on any of the upcoming ones, rivian and ford. Been very happy with ram but the electric is a few years away and i would not try to get it on the 1st year of production
The electric Ram in 2024 (probably 2025 in reality) is probably going to be very cool. I know I’ll want one when it gets announced, but there’s the issues you mentioned of first production year problems. Personally I’d do it anyway, but I’m still worried about the availability of charging stations for long trips.

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The electric Ram in 2024 (probably 2025 in reality) is probably going to be very cool. I know I’ll want one when it gets announced, but there’s the issues you mentioned of first production year issues. Personally, I’d do it anyway, but I’m still worried about the availability of charging stations for long trips.
Yep, also hoping by then faster charging times. And wondering if it will actually get worse in some areas with the power grid with electric cars picking up. Here in california some areas always get flex alerts and a few black outs here and there

Klicht87

Reaction score
My next vehicle will definitely be electric. Whether a replacement truck or keep my truck and get a car. Luckily I don't live in California so I think I have some time to make these decisions instead of being forced to go electric (like lawnmowers and small engines)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Order and pay through PayPal, all goes smooth!

Took a little bit for shipping, but definitely worth it. They feel like quality vinyls too

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Great guy to work with, I ordered a ton of decals, he included a free grill logo flag decal set with my order. Think he even offers a 15% discount code for first orders. Quality product, cut pretty precise and really made the emblems pop! You will not be disappointed!
Now that you have installed these, would you recommend installing these using a wet method or dry method?

U

User_76295

Now that you have installed these, would you recommend installing these using a wet method or dry method?
Wet for sure.

I put each letter in a small dish with soapy water for a few seconds to soak before putting it in place. Then I used a q tip to get it positioned.

Because of the inset of the installation, a dry method will not get you good results

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

WReckeR

Reaction score
That’s why you put a large enough down payment before driving it off the lot that way you’re never upside down.

And never roll over debt into another vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whether you pay the money now with a down payment, or any time in the future in the form of monthly payments or a payoff, it doesn't matter. You owe it, now or in the future. The ONLY difference is whether or not you'll pay interest. Of course, if you pay a finance rate, you'll pay even more. Many of us got 0% on our Rams 2019-2021, so there's no problem being upside down if we plan to keep it past 4-5 years.

My primary point is that making a larger down payment is NOT a way to avoid depreciation.

I still have my last new vehicle, a 2001 Dodge Dakota. After 20 years, I have definitely gotten a great amount of value out of it. That is the more important aspect of owning a vehicle. Miles per dollar spent, and whatever the vehicle enables you to do with your life -- earn a paycheck, travel, entertain yourself, chores.

Users who are viewing this thread