5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

pmegason

Reaction score
Okay, yeah frontal area is a killer. Still surprised me a bit being that you have the diesel. I get about 13 mpg with my hemi pulling the trailer, although it is smaller (5k #, normal height). We have a lot of hills, but wind typically isn't a problem.
Yeah I averaged 13.5 going. That's through Texas hill country with a lot of ups and downs. I set the cruise on 70. I'm sure I would have gotten better MPG if I wouldn't have used the cruise control. We will see how it does going to Colorado Springs in a few weeks.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soooo, I almost traded my ram in today for a ‘22 limited longhorn with an ecodiesel. Being upside down $14k on trade-in and the limited being $81k made me think twice. I was REALLY close to doing it though.
I get close every time I go to my dealership for service. They always give me a spectacular new loaner truck to drive. I think they’re trying to sell me something!
Then I come to my senses! Mine will be paid for in another year.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Is it tight to the hood where I circled? I could not get mine to fit without a gap there
There's a little bit of a gap, the tape still adhered. I made sure to get that adhesion promotor on those specific spots.

Attachments

• image1 (13).jpeg
    image1 (13).jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image0 (27).jpeg
    image0 (27).jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 115

WReckeR

Reaction score
To rub salt in the wound, they offered to roll the negative equity into the new truck loan for a total of $95,750. I had to stop myself from laughing at that.
If you can't arrest the depreciation of a new(ish) vehicle in this market, you never will. As you know, vehicles depreciate immediately, and the steepest decline is the first few years. You won't ever get that back. All you get back, when your negative equity declines, is some of the payments you made as the depreciation curve levels out a bit.

It's a shame that the supply chain shambles don't create a stronger price for our vehicles. But, I'm sure what's happening is that the dealer wants to keep nearly all the margin available. As always, you can do better if you sell privately.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't arrest the depreciation of a new(ish) vehicle in this market, you never will. As you know, vehicles depreciate immediately, and the steepest decline is the first few years. You won't ever get that back. All you get back, when your negative equity declines, is some of the payments you made as the depreciation curve levels out a bit.

It's a shame that the supply chain shambles don't create a stronger price for our vehicles. But, I'm sure what's happening is that the dealer wants to keep nearly all the margin available. As always, you can do better if you sell privately.
Absolutely. I calculated my break even point at two years with 45,000 miles assuming I don’t have an accident, or 3 years if 32,000 miles. That’s also assuming that the market doesn’t significantly cool off, which it doesn’t seem like it will in two years.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s why you put a large enough down payment before driving it off the lot that way you’re never upside down.

And never roll over debt into another vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s why you put a large enough down payment before driving it off the lot that way you’re never upside down.

And never roll over debt into another vehicle

I definitely agree with the second statement, but your first statement depends on the financing and intentions. For example, I got 0% for 72 months instead of putting the cash down. Now I have that cash sitting in my account that could go to paying off the truck in an event like what I almost did yesterday. I’d rather keep the cash and use it when I need it if I’m getting free money.

on a different note, I am getting a refund for all the FIC extras I bought paid directly to Chrysler Capital on my loan, so there’s $5k back.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah but 0% for 72months doesn’t equal THAT much in the end, vs the high 2% rates that you can normally get.

All about perspective I guess, I would be sick in my stomach if I was upside down in a vehicle loan, especially if it happened to get totaled.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah but 0% for 72months doesn’t equal THAT much in the end, vs the high 2% rates that you can normally get.

All about perspective I guess, I would be sick in my stomach if I was upside down in a vehicle loan, especially if it happened to get totaled.

I agree, it’s not life-changing. In my case it is $5580.38 that I’m saving over the life of the loan compared to if I got a loan from my credit union.

I bought gap insurance this time because of this ridiculous market so at least I’m covered there. The flipside of that is if this market wasn’t crazy and I got $10,000 off the truck, then my trade-in would probably be close to that amount less than it what is right now.

Klicht87

Reaction score

Good thing most companies have GAP insurance

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Washed it after the rain and then do a wipe down using this stuff. So far it’s not of the best quick detailer I’ve found. This bottle lasts me a year between two street bikes and three cars.

Super slippery smooth, and it doesn’t streak like a lot of other products.

Zero affiliation, the vendor is always set up at ocmd bike week.
7df9e2d21c96960d4e56dfb96474da93.jpg

9b35a121bed0b86b1e77e5c7a7464a24.jpg

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed some seat covers. 200 bucks from Amazon. I really like the front seat cover. But the rear leaves two areas unprotected. So for now kept the blanket on the rear to cover that area. Since the kids are only 4 and 5. Left the original cover the wife got me to protect the seat from the kids shoes too. Second picture.
c015ef1f84a87d5a4ffd0c3ef4e4c73b.jpg

b377a3610c49be45d7b58e4df054e12f.jpg

279d4fd958b0b7853d1b29274e63bef9.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely agree with the second statement, but your first statement depends on the financing and intentions. For example, I got 0% for 72 months instead of putting the cash down. Now I have that cash sitting in my account that could go to paying off the truck in an event like what I almost did yesterday. I’d rather keep the cash and use it when I need it if I’m getting free money.

on a different note, I am getting a refund for all the FIC extras I bought paid directly to Chrysler Capital on my loan, so there’s $5k back.
If you are upside down in this market, then you got raped on the initial purchase. I know more than a handful of people that traded in, or sold their trucks back and made money over what they initially financed, or leased. Had a local friend just sell back his 2020 bighorn lease to dealer ans got paid $2000 more than his buyout amount and that's after driving the truck for a year.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installed some seat covers. 200 bucks from Amazon. I really like the front seat cover. But the rear leaves two areas unprotected. So for now kept the blanket on the rear to cover that area. Since the kids are only 4 and 5. Left the original cover the wife got me to protect the seat from the kids shoes too. Second picture.
c015ef1f84a87d5a4ffd0c3ef4e4c73b.jpg

b377a3610c49be45d7b58e4df054e12f.jpg

279d4fd958b0b7853d1b29274e63bef9.jpg
I think you're doing this all wrong. Wrap the kids up like burritos, and strap them into their seats. Then the rest of the truck can go back to its original state.

Users who are viewing this thread