5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Gitter

Reaction score
Based on the video there still is a slight delay. I don't believe there is currently a way to have both the brake light work and no delay for OP7 or Putco

Compared to the out-of-sync look that you see when using the signal in the trailer harness, it's "nearly" eliminated...that's the delay I was referring to. Here are videos of other members who have the delay that I'm talking about:

As for the initial delay on the first blink, it doesn't always do that...but I haven't figured that part out yet. I was more self consious with the people sitting behind me at a stop wondering why my lights are not in sync and getting pissed that I haven't turned yet. LOL I think most people will miss that first blink tho...

EDIT - Added my video again for easier comparison:

Also, here's the link to the Tail-as-Turn modules:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/tail-as-turn-module-diy.html

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
I too had the Putco 60" lightbar installed and LOVE it. And its white backup LEDs throw out an amazing amount light. My installer wired the Putco so there's no blinker delay. BUT w/ the wiring method he used, the brake light LEDs do not function. So I'd be interested in knowing how you did the wiring so there's no blinker delay AND the brake light LEDs still function.

Take care!

Yeah, the issue is that our LED tail lights do not send the turn signal on the same wire as the brake signal (like it does in the trailer harness or most halogen style tail lights). So, in order to use the both signals directly from the tail lights, you have to get the signal from both the turn signal (white w/ yellow wire) and the brake signal (white w/ green) and combine them into a single signal/wire. I was able to do it using the Diode Dynamics "Tail-as-Turn" modules that I listed in that Tailgate Lightbar thread.

WReckeR

Reaction score
For those of you with dash cams, what are your goals? What purpose does it serve?
I understand why cops have them, and I've seen a couple videos from people who caught the dynamics of an accident. But if you're driving on an 8 hour trip, where does all that data go? What do you do with it? I'm lost.

AK103

Reaction score
For those of you with dash cams, what are your goals? What purpose does it serve?
I understand why cops have them, and I've seen a couple videos from people who caught the dynamics of an accident. But if you're driving on an 8 hour trip, where does all that data go? What do you do with it? I'm lost.

I mean I think everyone has the same purpose for it.
Record an accident if god forbid it happens so you can easily prove it wasn't your fault.

Most dashcams will overwrite data.
They record 5-10 minutes of video at a time.
Erase old video from couple days ago with new video.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When my truck was recently damaged on the highway due to a company not securing their load properly, their insurance company viewed the footage I had and immediately accepted responsibility. If I didn't have the footage it would've been my word against theirs. It's also a powerful tool against insurance fraud from those who cause accidents to file claims against you and/or your insurance. I've also caught other accidents I wasn't involved in and offered the footage to the responder. Check out some dash cam vids on YouTube and you'll quickly see how useful they are.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Compared to the out-of-sync look that you see when using the signal in the trailer harness, it's "nearly" eliminated...that's the delay I was referring to. Here are videos of other members who have the delay that I'm talking about:

As for the initial delay on the first blink, it doesn't always do that...but I haven't figured that part out yet. I was more self consious with the people sitting behind me at a stop wondering why my lights are not in sync and getting pissed that I haven't turned yet. LOL I think most people will miss that first blink tho...

EDIT - Added my video again for easier comparison:

Also, here's the link to the Tail-as-Turn modules:
https://www.diodedynamics.com/tail-as-turn-module-diy.html
I see. I have seen some videos for the OPT7 and it has an initial delay but synced up after. Not sure which option I am leaning towards. Thanks for compiling the information

davidn0021

Reaction score
When my truck was recently damaged on the highway due to a company not securing their load properly, their insurance company viewed the footage I had and immediately accepted responsibility. If I didn't have the footage it would've been my word against theirs. It's also a powerful tool against insurance fraud from those who cause accidents to file claims against you and/or your insurance. I've also caught other accidents I wasn't involved in and offered the footage to the responder. Check out some dash cam vids on YouTube and you'll quickly see how useful they are.
does it automatically stream up to the cloud server someplace or is it on the device and you have to utilize an app to view, sorta like Ring cameras?

RickWaz

Reaction score
Yeah, the issue is that our LED tail lights do not send the turn signal on the same wire as the brake signal (like it does in the trailer harness or most halogen style tail lights). So, in order to use the both signals directly from the tail lights, you have to get the signal from both the turn signal (white w/ yellow wire) and the brake signal (white w/ green) and combine them into a single signal/wire. I was able to do it using the Diode Dynamics "Tail-as-Turn" modules that I listed in that Tailgate Lightbar thread.
That's PERFECT @Gitter! I'm ordering one today so my Installer (a Diode Dynamics Guy coincidently!) can do the re-wiring upgrade. THANKS and take care.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
does it automatically stream up to the cloud server someplace or is it on the device and you have to utilize an app to view, sorta like Ring cameras?
Stores on an internal microSD card, and our new Blackvue also has the option to upload to "the cloud", but I haven't enabled that yet. I view the vids from the card in VLC player.

WReckeR

Reaction score
What are you favorite brands of wheels? Hard to toss away the wheels that already come with a premium when ordering a Night Edition or other upgrade. A few photos look really good though. I'm guessing the 20 and 22" look good on the street, but off-road performance is better with the 18s?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As @grimreefer stated above, the more "high-end" units will give you the option to store the data in the cloud. I am a huge Blackvue fan as well. I highly recommend a 256GD SD card as you can get a ton of driving saved before the files begin to overwrite. In addition, if you are involved in an accident, the recording gets locked automatically so that file is not overwritten. You can also manually lock files as well. I put them in all of my vehicles and have for years. All it takes is one accident to pay for itself! Happy to answer any additional questions you may have or chat via phone if you want to PM me.

www.blackvue.com

obrien

Reaction score
@WReckeR :

I got hit on highway and the other dude drove away. All front of my car was destroyed but fortunately I had a cam, got the footage and was able to read the license plate. The other car was self insured car of some company but with the footage they assumed all responsibility and fixed my car... Would I not have a dash I would be screwed as I did not manage to see and memorized the license plate myself and I would not have anything in hand. worth to have it IMHO

davidn0021

Reaction score
As @grimreefer stated above, the more "high-end" units will give you the option to store the data in the cloud. I am a huge Blackvue fan as well. I highly recommend a 256GD SD card as you can get a ton of driving saved before the files begin to overwrite. In addition, if you are involved in an accident, the recording gets locked automatically so that file is not overwritten. You can also manually lock files as well. I put them in all of my vehicles and have for years. All it takes is one accident to pay for itself! Happy to answer any additional questions you may have or chat via phone if you want to PM me.

www.blackvue.com

So it detects impact/collision? I think I'll probably get one since this vehicle isn't a lease. Prior, I didn't really care and just let insurance deal with it. You guys all bring up great points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/