5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain as if my wife Yukon wasn't pricy enough, she has been telling me she wants MB G wagon....o_O

My wife is the opposite, clinging to her 09 Jetta. To be fair she absolutely loves it, first car she bought herself new, and it’s been the most trouble free car we’ve ever owned, by a lot! Literally zero problems ever.

I’m trying to put her up in something bigger and more comfortable but she refuses, even though she’s in love with the MDX type S and the Cayenne.

She also hates jewelry and shopping.

I’m a very lucky man.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife is the opposite, clinging to her 09 Jetta. To be fair she absolutely loves it, first car she bought herself new, and it’s been the most trouble free car we’ve ever owned, by a lot! Literally zero problems ever.

I’m trying to put her up in something bigger and more comfortable but she refuses, even though she’s in love with the MDX type S and the Cayenne.

I’m a very lucky man.
Sounds a lot like my wife. She gets mad if I buy her jewelry or flowers. I finally convinced her to upgrade her old TJ to a JK Unlimited for her birthday this year. I wanted to get her a new JL, but she refused. She didn't want a payment or having to worry about where she parks, or where we go camping, etc...

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m a very lucky man.
My wife regrets getting rid of her Jetta from college. However, I like having her in a bigger vehicle with the kiddos. She is in a Traverse right now. It's a nice car.

Insanity

Reaction score
I'd like one too, the G63 AMG 6x6 in particular but that's above my pay grade
There is this option.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is this option.

Dang, even that is too rich for my blood.

I’m also part of the frugal wife club, fortunately. She drove her Honda Civic for eight years, and now drives a Hyundai Tucson, which she wants to keep for at least as long, if it holds up its end of the bargain.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, even that is too rich for my blood.

I’m also part of the frugal wife club, fortunately. She drove her Honda Civic for eight years, and now drives a Hyundai Tucson, which she wants to keep for at least as long, if it holds up its end of the bargain.

Same here. She is very frugal, does not wear jewelry at all, and she drove a 2005 Explorer for many years. It was definitely time for a replacement and she fell in love with the Jaguar F-Pace. At first I thought, there is no way we could afford that. But, it was actually no more expensive than anything else out there with the same options. And it came with a very good warranty that includes all services. It has been pretty much flawless. It’s a 2018 and is still fairly low mileage since she works from home. But, I will say, I’m not sure it is a vehicle I’d want to own after the warranty expires. Their parts and labor prices are ridiculous.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well today i edited the photos I took for the shakedown camping trip I did with my GFC over the weekend. Again, these are posted here before they go on my Instagram.
IMG_4336.jpg
There are a few problems that I found immediately and need to be addressed as soon as possible:
1. Power and electrical
Problem: currently all the lights in the camper are powered by the starting battery. Although LEDs shouldn't draw that much power, but power draw can be significant if used extensively. Plus the problematic stock starting battery doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I am also planning to run a diesel heater as well so the power issue needs to be addressed. I also ran starlink for the night, had it on for about 8 hours. My Ecoflow system (3kw combined) went down 60% just running fridge and starlink. I think the problem is the dish was turning on the heating function too much due to the ambient temperature being around 30s.
Solution: I am adding a secondary battery (100ah deep cycle LiFEPO4) and pairing it with a DC-DC charger that has MPPT built in. That presents other problems too.
IMG_4340.jpg
1-1:
Problem: camper secondary battery (house battery) charger is 50A, which is too much for ~10ft of travel distance for the 8AWG I installed previously.
Solution: replace 8AWG with 6AWG. I am going to attach the 6AWG to the 8AWG and pull so I can reroute it while replacing. 2 birds with 1 stone.
IMG_4345.jpg
1-2:
Problem: Mounting of house battery and charger:
Solution: fabricating my own battery box and attach it to the bed rail and the plate I made the weekend before. Hopefully this requires minimum amount of work.
IMG_4354.jpg
2. Tent/ camper Insulation
Problem: Camper and tent do not offer great insulation. Ambient temp was around 30s at night and I was inside the camper wearing a ski jacket. I ran propane heater but once the temperature got up and I turn it off the camper doesn't have great heat retention.
Solution: instead of running propane heater, I will put together the diesel heater I got last year (finally) and run that instead. At least now I have multiple level of heater control instead of just low and high, and I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide and condensation.
I will be running the diesel heater with the house battery instead of using EcoFlow to run it.
IMG_4357.jpg
3. Charging
Problem: I replaced the DC-DC charger I have for the cab area for the EcoFlow. I went from 12/12 to 12/24, basically doubling the output so I can fully charge the Ecoflows (3kw) within one day of driving. I set the new charger to push out 30V, maxing it out. Then I tripped the fuse for the charger. Upon further investigation, I realized that pushing 450w out of the DC-DC charger requires more than 30A of fuse on the input side.
Solution: Solution 1 is to replace the 30A fuse on the input side with 40A and hope it solves the problem. If it doesn't then solution 2 will be using a 40A circuit breaker that splits off the 8AWG that I ran into the cab. IF that still trips the breaker then I will try 50A. For now I downed it to 24V output pushing about 350W and all is good. So I have strong hope for 40A fuse will be able to handle 30V of output.
IMG_4360.jpg
Overall, I am happy that I went on this shakedown one night trip to find all these problems. I wouldn't have found these problems without actually putting it out there and field test everything! IMG_4332.jpg IMG_4353.jpg IMG_4356.jpg IMG_4358.jpg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
well today i edited the photos I took for the shakedown camping trip I did with my GFC over the weekend. Again, these are posted here before they go on my Instagram.
View attachment 171804
There are a few problems that I found immediately and need to be addressed as soon as possible:
1. Power and electrical
Problem: currently all the lights in the camper are powered by the starting battery. Although LEDs shouldn't draw that much power, but power draw can be significant if used extensively. Plus the problematic stock starting battery doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I am also planning to run a diesel heater as well so the power issue needs to be addressed. I also ran starlink for the night, had it on for about 8 hours. My Ecoflow system (3kw combined) went down 60% just running fridge and starlink. I think the problem is the dish was turning on the heating function too much due to the ambient temperature being around 30s.
Solution: I am adding a secondary battery (100ah deep cycle LiFEPO4) and pairing it with a DC-DC charger that has MPPT built in. That presents other problems too.
View attachment 171805
1-1:
Problem: camper secondary battery (house battery) charger is 50A, which is too much for ~10ft of travel distance for the 8AWG I installed previously.
Solution: replace 8AWG with 6AWG. I am going to attach the 6AWG to the 8AWG and pull so I can reroute it while replacing. 2 birds with 1 stone.
View attachment 171806
1-2:
Problem: Mounting of house battery and charger:
Solution: fabricating my own battery box and attach it to the bed rail and the plate I made the weekend before. Hopefully this requires minimum amount of work.
View attachment 171807
2. Tent/ camper Insulation
Problem: Camper and tent do not offer great insulation. Ambient temp was around 30s at night and I was inside the camper wearing a ski jacket. I ran propane heater but once the temperature got up and I turn it off the camper doesn't have great heat retention.
Solution: instead of running propane heater, I will put together the diesel heater I got last year (finally) and run that instead. At least now I have multiple level of heater control instead of just low and high, and I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide and condensation.
I will be running the diesel heater with the house battery instead of using EcoFlow to run it.
View attachment 171808
3. Charging
Problem: I replaced the DC-DC charger I have for the cab area for the EcoFlow. I went from 12/12 to 12/24, basically doubling the output so I can fully charge the Ecoflows (3kw) within one day of driving. I set the new charger to push out 30V, maxing it out. Then I tripped the fuse for the charger. Upon further investigation, I realized that pushing 450w out of the DC-DC charger requires more than 30A of fuse on the input side.
Solution: Solution 1 is to replace the 30A fuse on the input side with 40A and hope it solves the problem. If it doesn't then solution 2 will be using a 40A circuit breaker that splits off the 8AWG that I ran into the cab. IF that still trips the breaker then I will try 50A. For now I downed it to 24V output pushing about 350W and all is good. So I have strong hope for 40A fuse will be able to handle 30V of output.
View attachment 171809
Overall, I am happy that I went on this shakedown one night trip to find all these problems. I wouldn't have found these problems without actually putting it out there and field test everything! View attachment 171810 View attachment 171811 View attachment 171812 View attachment 171813
If my wife read this, she would say "geez, why doesn't he just get a camper?":ROFLMAO: Seriously though, I admire the thought and work you've put into your truck, sounds like you're almost ready for your next big trip

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went in to order my Ram and walked out with a Ram and Grand Cherokee Overland 4xe for the wife.... 😂😂😂
2 row or 3? How do you like it? Both our leases are up this spring. I'll likely keep my truck a while since I like it, and it doesn't make sense to trade in for a similar truck for more money ha. She has a regular cherokee now though that we are outgrowing. We've been window shopping everything with 3 rows, but there's so many choices.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 row or 3? How do you like it? Both our leases are up this spring. I'll likely keep my truck a while since I like it, and it doesn't make sense to trade in for a similar truck for more money ha. She has a regular cherokee now though that we are outgrowing. We've been window shopping everything with 3 rows, but there's so many choices.
I had the 3 row as rental, not 4Xe when I got into an accident and It was great. I think it was the Limited model. I would definitely consider the new body style and almost did before I went back to RAM. The interior puts the older WK2 version to shame!!
With that being said, I have a friend with the Wrangler 4Xe with all kinds of problems and she hasn't even taken it off the pavement! I swear it's in the shop 2-3, maybe more in a month easily!! Matter of fact it's there now and she has the Cherokee as a loaner.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 3 row as rental, not 4Xe when I got into an accident and It was great. I think it was the Limited model. I would definitely consider the new body style and almost did before I went back to RAM. The interior puts the older WK2 version to shame!!
With that being said, I have a friend with the Wrangler 4Xe with all kinds of problems and she hasn't even taken it off the pavement! I swear it's in the shop 2-3, maybe more in a month easily!! Matter of fact it's there now and she has the Cherokee as a loaner.
Good to know. We haven't had any issues with the Cherokee other than just needing one software update. It's just too small for us, the kids, and hockey equipment or camping. We wouldn't mind staying with the brand, but open to others as well. She likes the new mazda cx90. We had a cx5 once. I just hate that with all these vehicles, every time you like an option, the price jumps 10K :LOL:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to offend you. I am outing myself on my own ignorance on the nuances of the social medias by asking this question. I'm trying to learn.

So, what is the significance of this? I mean, why does that matter to anyone here? I mean, why did you feel a need to mention that in your post? It's the same question, just 3 different ways of trying to express what I'm really asking.

these are posted here before they go on my Instagram.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. We haven't had any issues with the Cherokee other than just needing one software update. It's just too small for us, the kids, and hockey equipment or camping. We wouldn't mind staying with the brand, but open to others as well. She likes the new mazda cx90. We had a cx5 once. I just hate that with all these vehicles, every time you like an option, the price jumps 10K :LOL:
We have a Chevy Traverse in our garage for when we need to take the whole family. It's the SUV with the best passenger space with 3rd row seating. Others might have more cargo space, but that takes away from passenger space. I'm 6'5" 270lbs and can fit in the 3rd row. Granted not much headroom, but it's possible. We do week long family vacations in it with no issues.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a Chevy Traverse in our garage for when we need to take the whole family. It's the SUV with the best passenger space with 3rd row seating. Others might have more cargo space, but that takes away from passenger space. I'm 6'5" 270lbs and can fit in the 3rd row. Granted not much headroom, but it's possible. We do week long family vacations in it with no issues.
Good to know! We're all relatively short ha, but with 3 of us playing hockey we need a lot of cargo room. But again, just beginning window shopping. We'll put it on the list to look into. Thanks fella.

Users who are viewing this thread