5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are quite a few vids on YouTube showing valves of engines who had a can installed and those who didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Hemi is setup, but my bigger concern is the IAC. If the PCV hose comes in before the IAC valve (assuming that's how Mopar does it) it can definitely cause issues.

Last year I inherited my mother's 68k mile '06 Malibu. Took it on a road trip this summer and noticed a rough idle. Throttle butterfly was nasty and took some effort to clean.

In other news my '64 has a PCV.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm totally okay with it. I've seen the inside of engines over 150K, and can tell you that the intake was not high on the list of problems.

Those who think it will make a difference use them.

I've seen no evidence of a significant difference. One part per million, I don't care.
If nothing or very little was ever collected in the catch can, I could see you point. Having owned multiple vehicles running catch cans, and seeing first hand the amount of stuff they catch, I will always use one.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are quite a few vids on YouTube showing valves of engines who had a can installed and those who didn’t.
So how would you characterize that? Carefully designed scientific study controlled for all variables, or anecdotal? Critical thinking should be applied. If I thought there was any significant ROI, I'd buy the best on the market.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Go watch the vids. Do some research. Form an educated opinion on the mater.

I know how much I empty from the can. It’s no secret it keeps the valves clean, and reduces the need for valve cleanings.

Which is a thing. Vids on that too.

Yes it’s more beneficial for DI engines due to no fuel wash. But every engine can be if it from it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To think a catch can offers no benefit despite seeing how much they catch definitely isn't a sign of critical thinking
Of course it's going to "catch" a bunch of oil and condensate, and make you feel good about how good of a job it is doing. Until you realize that stuff didn't need to be "caught".

Dewey

Reaction score
I know more than a few with well over 200,000 miles on Hemi’s and never had a catch can nor ever even been in a shop for engine issues.🤔

Is it overkill? Depends who you ask. As with anything there are always extremes on both ends of a topic.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, I love the spirited discussions on this forum. Everyone feels so strongly about catch cans!
If you're preventing a couple of ounces of oil getting into your intake valves every few months, then it's a win. No matter how you look at it.
I could see some serious debate if a catch can had some kind of downside (like reducing performance, or if they were prone to breakage). But there's zero downside to installing it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course it's going to "catch" a bunch of oil and condensate, and make you feel good about how good of a job it is doing. Until you realize that stuff didn't need to be "caught".
Yeah, I meanz who doesn't like all that extra crap coating the inside if your intake, throttle blade, heads, valves, and burning in the combustion chamber. If I take the catch can off, can my Hemi identify as a diesel for burning oil that doesn't need to be there?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lol, I love the spirited discussions on this forum. Everyone feels so strongly about catch cans!
If you're preventing a couple of ounces of oil getting into your intake valves every few months, then it's a win. No matter how you look at it.
I could see some serious debate if a catch can had some kind of downside (like reducing performance, or if they were prone to breakage). But there's zero downside to installing it.
There is one downside...it might cut into your beer fund. :LOL:

Dewey

Reaction score
Yeah, I meanz who doesn't like all that extra crap coating the inside if your intake, throttle blade, heads, valves, and burning in the combustion chamber. If I take the catch can off, can my Hemi identify as a diesel for burning oil that doesn't need to be there?
I’m not saying catch cans are a negative thing. Just stating that there will be far different results depending on how the vehicle owner drives. If someone lets their truck idle a lot versus running a lot of higher rpm’s or driving mostly highway miles the benefit will be vastly different in each situation.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
This was from my last truck, after 5k miles of winter driving with a short commute. Quite a bit of oil, it’s all mixed up because I didn’t let it fully settle. But that’s still a bunch of crap that wasn’t ingested into my combustion chamber and valves.

I’m going on a 1500 mile road trip next month. I’ll empty the cab before and after and measure it’s contents.

For science.

7937042d203ac38788395acdc962ebc3.jpg

BowDown

Reaction score
I know more than a few with well over 200,000 miles on Hemi’s and never had a catch can nor ever even been in a shop for engine issues.🤔

Is it overkill? Depends who you ask. As with anything there are always extremes on both ends of a topic.

I agree, I doubt there's any real downside but I also doubt there's much real up side
My 2003 HEMI broke a valve spring at 277K miles, I limped the truck about 2 miles and It shut off in my driveway. When I tried to restart it, the open hanging intake valve allowing the combustion process to occur in the intake and blew the floor of the intake off.

2016x980 (2).jpeg

2016x980 (3).jpeg

2016x980.jpeg

Not much oil there for no catch can and 277K miles and never one mechanical issue other than a water pump.
Broke the #8 cylinder intake valve spring, at least it wasn't # 5 or 7.

Now, my Z06 has one but for different reasons. My aftermarket valve covers didn't have adequate baffling and at runway events where I was at high rpm's for an extended period of time, I would get oil through the pcv system (upgraded oiling as well). This car needed a can, I don't think the truck does

Screenshot_20220929_144901.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread