5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally changed out my wiper blades...only 2.5 years old... :ROFLMAO:

Also I talked my buddy into a 2022 Ram Bighorn Sport, so far he is loving it :) It has been a Ram week!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The one I use has a Hemi specific mounting bracket, and as for ease of access, it has a drain valve on bottom. No need to take it apart to empty, and since it sits next to engine, you don't have extra hoses running up to radiator area that definitely dont look factory.

Plus it works great with the best looking CAI made by Vararam.

View attachment 139985 View attachment 139984
I looked at these, and since you actually got one I hope you don't mind me asking: It looks like it mounts with a single bolt into the head(?) What prevents weight and vibration from rotating it down, loosening the bolt and falling apart while driving?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally changed out my wiper blades...only 2.5 years old... :ROFLMAO:
I carry two blade sets that I rotate. Crappy beam technology for winter snow and freezing rain, conventional for above-freezing months, decide if bad enough to replace when it's time to switch.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at these, and since you actually got one I hope you don't mind me asking: It looks like it mounts with a single bolt into the head(?) What prevents weight and vibration from rotating it down, loosening the bolt and falling apart while driving?
Torque and friction. Mine hasn't moved at all since installed. You can throtmw since loctite in the threads if concerned

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. I feel like I really should know this.

What is the benefit/purpose of these catch cans y'all are installing?

Older vehicles mixed the fuel with air in a carburetor. That fuel-air mixture then was pushed against the back of the intake valves.

When the EPA started getting more and more involved in cars, one of the add-ons was a way to burn oil vapors. That's your PCV tubing. (It used to just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere.)

That dirty oil vapor gets fed into the intake side of the manifold. There, it joins the intake rush and gets burned in the cylinder.

The dirty oil vapor hits the back (non-cylinder side) of the intake valves and coats them in a nasty oil char that builds up. With a fuel-air mixture (from a carburetor, or later from fuel injectors (that spray fuel from outside the cylinder into the air mix as the valves open), that build up was not a factor. The fuel mix hitting the back of the valve would dissolve any oil deposit and bring it into the cylinder.

With direct injection (the fuel goes only into the cylinder), that valve cleaning action does not occur. The build up of oil on the back of the valve can cause problems and to clean it is a pain.

A catch-can goes into the PCV line and gives the entrained oil mist/vapors a place to condense. It keeps the EPA satisfied (the oil vapor does not go into the air), and it keeps the valves clean.

(I took slight liberties for simplification and clarity.)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Older vehicles mixed the fuel with air in a carburetor. That fuel-air mixture then was pushed against the back of the intake valves.

When the EPA started getting more and more involved in cars, one of the add-ons was a way to burn oil vapors. That's your PCV tubing. (It used to just vent the crankcase to the atmosphere.)

That dirty oil vapor gets fed into the intake side of the manifold. There, it joins the intake rush and gets burned in the cylinder.

The dirty oil vapor hits the back (non-cylinder side) of the intake valves and coats them in a nasty oil char that builds up. With a fuel-air mixture (from a carburetor, or later from fuel injectors (that spray fuel from outside the cylinder into the air mix as the valves open), that build up was not a factor. The fuel mix hitting the back of the valve would dissolve any oil deposit and bring it into the cylinder.

With direct injection (the fuel goes only into the cylinder), that valve cleaning action does not occur. The build up of oil on the back of the valve can cause problems and to clean it is a pain.

A catch-can goes into the PCV line and gives the entrained oil mist/vapors a place to condense. It keeps the EPA satisfied (the oil vapor does not go into the air), and it keeps the valves clean.

Good thing Ram doesn't use direct injection

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Nice job. Hemi is port injection.
Just posting info below, do what you feel is best.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you live in a cold climate and have a short commute. Moisture will build in the can, meaning you will need to empty/check it more often.

On my last truck, after 5k miles I had about a 12oz beer glass full.

I haven’t been keeping track on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had one on my mustang, I only ever got an ounce or two between oil changes. No cold weather driving though which probably helped.

sd2134

Reaction score
Ford had a Direct Injection ONLY EcoBoost engine, and it suffered from carbon build up. The engine was redesigned with both Direct and Port Injection. There are several articles about this issue, here is one of them.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Great explanation, but just to clarify, road draft tubes went away 20-30 years before OEM carbs did. Carbs can still benefit from a catch can.

Some even claim the EGR and PCV gases work to lower octane ratings. Makes sense, and I'm sure someone has done the research.

My '67 Plymouth was not CA emissions and had a draft tube.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. I feel like I really should know this.

What is the benefit/purpose of these catch cans y'all are installing?

The theories I'm hearing is that hemi engines produce more blowby than others, and oil vapor (or droplets) in the PCV gases causes carbon deposits on intake valves.

So, I know of no reason to believe that the shape of the combustion chamber has any significant influence on the amount of blowby produced.

And carbon (coke) buildup on intake valves has been a problem since way before the addition of PCV systems. Hydrocarbons in contact with hot metal surfaces do that.

It seems to me that the marginal improvement in intake air "cleanliness" that may be obtained from a catch can or air/oil separator on these engines is like a drop of water in an endless sea.

The most tangible and measurable result is to separate users from the cash in their wallets.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The theories I'm hearing is that hemi engines produce more blowby than others, and oil vapor (or droplets) in the PCV gases causes carbon deposits on intake valves.

So, I know of no reason to believe that the shape of the combustion chamber has any significant influence on the amount of blowby produced.

And carbon (coke) buildup on intake valves has been a problem since way before the addition of PCV systems. Hydrocarbons in contact with hot metal surfaces do that.

It seems to me that the marginal improvement in intake air "cleanliness" that may be obtained from a catch can or air/oil separator on these engines is like a drop of water in an endless sea.

The most tangible and measurable result is to separate users from the cash in their wallets.
If you are okay with the amount of crap getting sucked back through the intake, then sure, a catch can is useless for you. Those of us who care use them. Will the engine run for s long time without it? Sure. Will it be dirtier, and more prone to detonation, than if using a catch can, most definitely

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It isn't a drop of water in the sea though, it's a drop of oil in the air intake. As far as wallets being lighter, you can get them for $20 or make one for free with an old soda can

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly, my 64' Valiant has a PVC system. Then again it was built in the LA plant.
Mine was built here in MO.

I had to Google the date. Looks '61 was when CA emissions required a PCV. It was over the next ten years or so for federal emissions. I can't remember what Grandpa's 64 C10 has. I'll have to go check. It's pretty much stock except for HEI.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was built here in MO.

I had to Google the date. Looks '61 was when CA emissions required a PCV. It was over the next ten years or so for federal emissions. I can't remember what Grandpa's 64 C10 has. I'll have to go check. It's pretty much stock except for HEI.
Wow, I did not know CA had the requirement so early on. Thanks!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are okay with the amount of crap getting sucked back through the intake, then sure, a catch can is useless for you.
I'm totally okay with it. I've seen the inside of engines over 150K, and can tell you that the intake was not high on the list of problems.
Those of us who care use them.
Those who think it will make a difference use them.
Will the engine run for s long time without it? Sure. Will it be dirtier, and more prone to detonation, than if using a catch can, most definitely
I've seen no evidence of a significant difference. One part per million, I don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread