5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those unfamiliar. What brand did you buy and why that brand if you don't mind me asking.
View attachment 133501
duralast, autozone,
the truck was already on jack stands, only option in stock near by
originally was going to get Pittsburg from harbor freight but the location near by is always poorly stock just as the home depot as well on the Husky brand
gotta say all 3 get great reviews and would get the job done but I suspect that these kind of sets don't take to kind to heavy abuse. Time will tell

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought these from Sam's Club last year and love every bit. They've held up to some wear and tear so far.

View attachment 133518
nice set but yes not pass thru sockets
see pic, middle nut holding the strut. some people get lucky, for others the nut will get loose but will only keep spinning
so you use a pass thru socket and insert another socket to hold the inner hex and remove the outer nut
1656635437421.png

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
duralast, autozone,
the truck was already on jack stands, only option in stock near by
originally was going to get Pittsburg from harbor freight but the location near by is always poorly stock just as the home depot as well on the Husky brand
gotta say all 3 get great reviews and would get the job done but I suspect that these kind of sets don't take to kind to heavy abuse. Time will tell
Used to like Craftsman for their warranty and availability. I was denied an exchange at Lowes as they do not honor Sear"s Craftsman. I did a warranty on Channel Locks end nippers, it was a hassle mailing it in plus postage. I think Lowes POd a bunch of people with Kobalt's warranty and adding Craftsman.

Have purchased some Knipex tools, little pricey.
Purchased from
He has some good deals at times.
Never regretted buying a good tool.

The pass thru ratchet looks like one of those tools that just make life easier at times.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Used to like Craftsman for their warranty and availability. I was denied an exchange at Lowes as they do not honor Sear"s Craftsman. I did a warranty on Channel Locks end nippers, it was a hassle mailing it in plus postage. I think Lowes POd a bunch of people with Kobalt's warranty and adding Craftsman.

The pass thru ratchet looks like one of those tools that just make life easier at times.
Most of my tools are still Craftsman. But I won't buy any new ones. Quality just isn't there. And even some of the ones I bought through Sears aren't as good. They stopped doing replacements for ratchets the last several years and would only "rebuild" them in the store. The 1/4" drive ratchets we're the worste. I don't have a working Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet

Derek916

Reaction score
Sold my Ram 1500 Laramie SW Edition today for 59,000. Paid 60.5K after TTL and +1600 for shipping. Although, during that time I picked up a BBQ that was $800 off, and furniture that would of costed me $200 to have delivered. Always wanted a truck, but I just didn't like navigating parking lots with that beast as my daily driver. Looking for a highlander hybrid now.

Dewey

Reaction score
Most of my tools are still Craftsman. But I won't buy any new ones. Quality just isn't there. And even some of the ones I bought through Sears aren't as good. They stopped doing replacements for ratchets the last several years and would only "rebuild" them in the store. The 1/4" drive ratchets we're the worste. I don't have a working Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet
Same here on all accounts. Even the broken 1/4” drive ratchets.😆
Everything else has been excellent and stood the test of time. All of my Craftsman are over 30 years old. Back when there were still quality tools being produced.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I think the good old craftsman years are gone, I was doing a part time at sears when they were purchase by black and decker like around 2017 I think.
Sears are gone in my area not sure if ever where but even by that time I saw sears employees trying not to honor the warranty probably on direction from upper management.
Haven't purchase craftsman in a while and yea I think I have only seen them at lowes now
Agree life savers at times
Your location comment made me laugh in your signature
I've had luck with my Ace Hardware honoring the warranty.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Sears and 1/4" Craftsman ratchets. My first job as a mechanic was at a Sears, and I bought quite a few Craftsman tools while there, mostly bc they gave a discount to employees. Exchanged a number of 1/4" ratchets and rebuilt about the same number too. Ended up buying a Mac 1/4" ratchet which I still have today. I have quite the mixture of brands now in my boxes, but the only 3/8" ratchets I have are the Craftsman - More than earned their keep!

Nels

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Sears and 1/4" Craftsman ratchets. My first job as a mechanic was at a Sears, and I bought quite a few Craftsman tools while there, mostly bc they gave a discount to employees. Exchanged a number of 1/4" ratchets and rebuilt about the same number too. Ended up buying a Mac 1/4" ratchet which I still have today. I have quite the mixture of brands now in my boxes, but the only 3/8" ratchets I have are the Craftsman - More than earned their keep!
My main set is Craftsman over 30 years old. Had to replace the 1/4 inch ratchet about 5 years ago. After 25 years I didnt ask for a refund/replacement.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
My main set is Craftsman over 30 years old. Had to replace the 1/4 inch ratchet about 5 years ago. ...
Gotcha beat! I started with Craftsman 50 years ago, still own complete set of combo wrenches, open end wrenches, box wrenches, 1/4 3/8 (6 point and 12 point) and 1/2 inch socket sets (including deep sockets) with ratchets, plus crows feet wrenches, ratcheting box end wrenches, punch pins, line-up bars, cold chisels, screwdrivers (flat head and Phillips), cotter key puller (which I have used for more purposes than any other tool) and complete set of metric wrenches too. None less than 10 years old (finally succumbed to metric :confused:).

I never over-stressed my 1/4 inch drive ratchet so it is still going strong.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread