5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha beat! I started with Craftsman 50 years ago, still own complete set of combo wrenches, open end wrenches, box wrenches, 1/4 3/8 (6 point and 12 point) and 1/2 inch socket sets (including deep sockets) with ratchets, plus crows feet wrenches, ratcheting box end wrenches, punch pins, line-up bars, cold chisels, screwdrivers (flat head and Phillips), cotter key puller (which I have used for more purposes than any other tool) and complete set of metric wrenches too. None less than 10 years old (finally succumbed to metric :confused:).

I never over-stressed my 1/4 inch drive ratchet so it is still going strong.

Dave
One of my 1/4" ratchets was basically bad out of the box. Took it back for replacement and they just replaced the gears inside. Even after that it still slipped. The quality just went to **** about the last 10-15 years Sears was open. Yours is probably old enough to still be from when they made good stuff. Towards the end, Sears wouldn't even warranty replace ratchets, they would just "repair" them with a parts kit they kept behind counter.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of my 1/4" ratchets was basically bad out of the box. Took it back for replacement and they just replaced the gears inside. Even after that it still slipped. The quality just went to **** about the last 10-15 years Sears was open. Yours is probably old enough to still be from when they made good stuff. Towards the end, Sears wouldn't even warranty replace ratchets, they would just "repair" them with a parts kit they kept behind counter.
It's ridiculous anymore. 90% of my stuff comes from harbor freight. A lot of people look down their nose at it, and that's fine, but I've never had an issue. And if I do, they have a good return policy. If I made my money with my tools, I'd probably upgrade, but I don't. I'm fortunate enough to have some old snap on stuff from my departed grandfather mechanic, but that's more sentimental value than day to day stuff.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's ridiculous anymore. 90% of my stuff comes from harbor freight. A lot of people look down their nose at it, and that's fine, but I've never had an issue. And if I do, they have a good return policy. If I made my money with my tools, I'd probably upgrade, but I don't. I'm fortunate enough to have some old snap on stuff from my departed grandfather mechanic, but that's more sentimental value than day to day stuff.
I've started buying Tekton brand off Amazon. Seems to be decent quality for the shade tree guy

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those unfamiliar. What brand did you buy and why that brand if you don't mind me asking.
View attachment 133501
The set I just got is Husky for Home Depot. Jury is still out, but it seems to be pretty solid. Most of my tools are Snap On or Craftsman. I found the older Craftsman sockets lasted longer than Snap On - but the hardness would sometime backfire and they would crack.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Ordered the Mopar Sidesteps and Rear Wheel Liners today for my 2022 Big Horn I purchased yesterday (why the Wheel Liners arent standard is beyond me...). I just didnt like the look of a lot of other side steps/nerf bars...

Will eventually get a Tonneau Cover, Bed Liner, and Hellwig Sway Bar and a few other things....baby steps so far (and Im trying not to spend $5k in accessories after spending $50k on the new truck...)

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ordered the Mopar Sidesteps and Rear Wheel Liners today for my 2022 Big Horn I purchased yesterday (why the Wheel Liners arent standard is beyond me...). I just didnt like the look of a lot of other side steps/nerf bars...

Will eventually get a Tonneau Cover, Bed Liner, and Hellwig Sway Bar and a few other things....baby steps so far (and Im trying not to spend $5k in accessories after spending $50k on the new truck...)
and Im trying not to spend $5k in accessories after spending $50k on the new truck...)
Good luck with that :ROFLMAO:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my tools are still Craftsman. But I won't buy any new ones. Quality just isn't there. And even some of the ones I bought through Sears aren't as good. They stopped doing replacements for ratchets the last several years and would only "rebuild" them in the store. The 1/4" drive ratchets we're the worste. I don't have a working Craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet
I have an old close tooth craftsman pro quarter inch ratchet that I bought in the early 2000s that is still going strong. It really amazes me every time I use it that it’s still working, because every other craftsman ratchet I have is broken.
5081D8B7-111B-4A3D-9C92-DFA9F71B1E2B.jpeg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I worked in the Sears tool department back in college, around 2000. Had always been a fan of Craftsman, but been buying more and more Husky and Harbor Freight lately... surprisingly the best, longest lasting hammer, I mean 1/2" ratchet I have is a Popular Mechanics I got in high-school.

Unclepoot

Reaction score
Did you have to drill holes for the tie downs, or there predrilled holes in the box?
Nah, there’s holes for 4 tie downs on each side of the bed. If you have a spray-in liner you might have to clear the holes a little bit.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
After two trips to the dealership and with the assistance of three personnel we were finally able to get the phone paired with the radio and verify it worked as it should. Ram would have been better off leaving the 8.4 the same as far as coordination with a smart phone. Two men in their thirties, I'd guess, failed; even with one using Google for help. The young kid had it working in no time. Told Momma that we need to keep a grandchild with us for a tech rep.

I do like the Alpine system in the new truck over what we have in our 2018 Laramie, though.

TSL

Reaction score
After two trips to the dealership and with the assistance of three personnel we were finally able to get the phone paired with the radio and verify it worked as it should. Ram would have been better off leaving the 8.4 the same as far as coordination with a smart phone. Two men in their thirties, I'd guess, failed; even with one using Google for help. The young kid had it working in no time. Told Momma that we need to keep a grandchild with us for a tech rep.

I do like the Alpine system in the new truck over what we have in our 2018 Laramie, though.
So my phone won't pair with the truck. Successfully sends a code to the phone, phone receives it, I acknowledge the prompt on the truck screen, then is churns for a while and says that it failed to connect. However, I've been blaming my phone : it's an 8 yr old Samsung Galaxy S5, which is kind of ancient in cell phone standards. I guess I should try my wife's iphone 13 and if that fails too then I'll know it's a problem with the truck's side of the connection.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I've started buying Tekton brand off Amazon. Seems to be decent quality for the shade tree guy
Funny you should mention Tekton...I just bought a deep socket set a week ago and really like them. We will see how long they last. I don't do a lot of automotive work, but when I do I want something that won't break.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread