5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WeatherTech Mud Flap Review

KevinB79

Reaction score
I got my WTs installed today. Also highly recommend them along as others have on this thread. I used some RTV silicone on contact points on the paint. Took about 30 minutes with the install.
Where did you buy the RTV silicone?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did the Weathertech's come with a protective clear film that gets applied to the painted surface on the fender where the mud guard wraps the fender/flair?

Yes they do. Easy to install and the mud flap doesn't actually come into contact with the paint but close. You do not need RTV but you can certainly use it if it makes you feel better;) The 3M film that comes with the WT guards work just fine.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Will this protect the fender/flare front from getting dinged up like mentioned in other threads?

I know a good solution to that are some running boards/side steps, but figured I'd add some extra mudflaps just to make cleaning a little easier as it'll catch a lot of the dirt.

Also any other color than like a charcoal/matte color? I have Black with black appearance pacakge so it's important for me to have that "All black" look....

machz

Reaction score
I installed a set on my new rebel this weekend. Like others have said the install couldn't be easier and I'm very happy with the look.

maddog49

Reaction score
I was going to go with the weather techs but ended up with gatorback. Certainly a longer install and at $240 they are quite a bit more than wt. However they provide alot more protection and seem far more robust and heavy duty. Will help keep the truck clean and trailer contents from getting blasted. Regular plain non gloss black.
20190311_181527.jpg 20190311_204543.jpg 20190311_204554.jpg

RAMiller

Reaction score
Well we got some warm weather to melt a bunch of snow over the weekend, then some freezing rain, and now some light snow on top so good mud flap testing weather.

They seem to be performing pretty well. The rocker is still taking a little bit of spray (as expected), but the weather techs are blocking a majority of it.

Pretty pleased with the results.
Any chance you can give me a measurement of how much thickness they add to the wheel well. I am putting on wheels with a -18 offset and 305/55R20’s (as soon as my Limited I ordered arrives) and am concerned about rubbing. I am going to use the Revel Links to level the air suspension and also have the off road package that will give an extra inch of lift. I think it’s going to be close and may rub the flaps.
Thanks

ders0

Reaction score
Any chance you can give me a measurement of how much thickness they add to the wheel well. I am putting on wheels with a -18 offset and 305/55R20’s (as soon as my Limited I ordered arrives) and am concerned about rubbing. I am going to use the Revel Links to level the air suspension and also have the off road package that will give an extra inch of lift. I think it’s going to be close and may rub the flaps.
Thanks

Your truck will have the fender flares which mine does not. So it will be a slightly different model of mudflap for your truck. I'll see what I can get for you though.

50Front

Reaction score
I was going to go with the weather techs but ended up with gatorback. Certainly a longer install and at $240 they are quite a bit more than wt. However they provide alot more protection and seem far more robust and heavy duty. Will help keep the truck clean and trailer contents from getting blasted. Regular plain non gloss black.
View attachment 18648 View attachment 18649 View attachment 18650
I like how long the gatorbacks are. The weather techs are short and only protect back to about the A in RAM on the door. They do help keep slush off my fixed running boards but don't protect the rockers or rear flare much. I can still hear stones bouncing between the rockers and running board. I wish the running boards where wider toward the rockers to close the gap and protect the sides of the truck better.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I like how long the gatorbacks are. The weather techs are short and only protect back to about the A in RAM on the door. They do help keep slush off my fixed running boards but don't protect the rockers or rear flare much. I can still hear stones bouncing between the rockers and running board. I wish the running boards where wider toward the rockers to close the gap and protect the sides of the truck better.
Any pictures? What kind of boards?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Not a fan at all and don’t like the look and at $240 waaay over priced but your happiness is all that matters.

maddog49

Reaction score
Not a fan at all and don’t like the look and at $240 waaay over priced but your happiness is all that matters.
I agree. They are nice but not 240 nice. Honestly I'm not a fan of any mudflaps on our truck. But as far as maximum protection they work significantly better than the wt I had on my 2016 which were similar to the 2019s. If your just looking for maximum protection for your boat/trailer and the side of the truck it's hard to beat. Otherwise I'd look at other options.

KevinB79

Reaction score
I actually installed my WeatherTech splash guards today and WeatherTech forgot to give me the clear protection tape for the rear. I called them up and I will be getting it in the mail this week. I didn’t have to send them the rear splash guards because I told them I already Installed it to the truck.

I have fender flares and ordered direct from Weathertech. Fronts came with film, rears did not. Called customer service to see if it was correct or an oversight.

Oversight, should have been included, but had to return the entire rear set that was missing film and an entirely new rear set was sent to me (freight paid by Weathertech for both).

According to customer service, there was no line item for only the film so that was only way to resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread