5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WeatherTech Mud Flap Review

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! Does Weathertech say to leave the OEM wheel spats installed? It looks a little odd to me.

ders0

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! Does Weathertech say to leave the OEM wheel spats installed? It looks a little odd to me.

Yup. They’re designed to fit on over the OEM spats. I think that’s part of the way they’re able to design them as completely drill-less as those spats have additional connection points that then help support the flap.

It does look a little odd in a few of those pictures, but in person it’s hardly noticeable unless you’re looking closely.

geotex1

Reaction score
For those who have installed the weather tech flaps: I'm doing mine tomorrow, but my question is - Are you using the 3M paint protectant tape or anything like that on the body of the truck so these don't scuff up the paint over time or are the contact points not necessarily painted areas?

Yes, I did because they will. All splash guards and mud flaps will cause psint damage - abrasion from the dirt that will ultimately get between them and the finish. I used PPF, not foam or vinyl tape. Foam keeps moisture and will damage paint. Tapes have the wrong adhesives.

ders0

Reaction score
Yes, I did because they will. All splash guards and mud flaps will cause psint damage - abrasion from the dirt that will ultimately get between them and the finish. I used PPF, not foam or vinyl tape. Foam keeps moisture and will damage paint. Tapes have the wrong adhesives.

Yeah after doing the install yesterday - my plan is to wait for nicer weather where I can run the hose and take the flaps and maybe the oem trim pieces off too and thoroughly clean and apply PPF to that whole area. Can’t hurt.

ders0

Reaction score
Well we got some warm weather to melt a bunch of snow over the weekend, then some freezing rain, and now some light snow on top so good mud flap testing weather.

They seem to be performing pretty well. The rocker is still taking a little bit of spray (as expected), but the weather techs are blocking a majority of it.

Pretty pleased with the results.

Attachments

• 62B3AFCA-CB2B-44BE-B1F2-72A2ECB7E5EB.jpeg
    62B3AFCA-CB2B-44BE-B1F2-72A2ECB7E5EB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 220

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Been quite happy with WT guards. Although the instructions were a bit off (1 part liquid soap to 3 part water). Really only need few drops of soap for the PPF. Take the effort to apply film....Total time...maybe 40min. Simple to install and they fit very well. Do yourselves a favor, though, and get a trim removal tool to take out the 2 front panel fasteners. Wished I had one.

ders0

Reaction score
Been quite happy with WT guards. Although the instructions were a bit off (1 part liquid soap to 3 part water). Really only need few drops of soap for the PPF. Take the effort to apply film....Total time...maybe 40min. Simple to install and they fit very well. Do yourselves a favor, though, and get a trim removal tool to take out the 2 front panel fasteners. Wished I had one.

That's interesting my flaps didn't come with any PPF. Nor did the instructions state anything about that.

Must just be for the fender flare versions or something.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's interesting my flaps didn't come with any PPF. Nor did the instructions state anything about that.

Must just be for the fender flare versions or something.
Not a fender flare thing as I didn’t get any PPF either!

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I ordered directly from WT...so maybe that’s why I received the PPF? In any case, after putting on the 1st PPF, I questioned the logic of them in the first place as they are roughly 3/4” wide by 4” long. But I did continue with install. Will it make a difference? Time will tell.

tibi66

Reaction score
Wow, glad I read your tread. I was wondering why was not fitting right. I ordered the ones with fender flares. sent back and will get right ones. thanks

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Not a fender flare thing as I didn’t get any PPF either!

I have fender flares and ordered direct from Weathertech. Fronts came with film, rears did not. Called customer service to see if it was correct or an oversight.

Oversight, should have been included, but had to return the entire rear set that was missing film and an entirely new rear set was sent to me (freight paid by Weathertech for both).

According to customer service, there was no line item for only the film so that was only way to resolve.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have fender flares and ordered direct from Weathertech. Fronts came with film, rears did not. Called customer service to see if it was correct or an oversight.

Oversight, should have been included, but had to return the entire rear set that was missing film and an entirely new rear set was sent to me (freight paid by Weathertech for both).

According to customer service, there was no line item for only the film so that was only way to resolve.
Now I wonder if I had film in mine and I threw it away??!?

V8Spock

Reaction score
Installed these last Thursday. Ordered from jegs.com for $29.96 each set. The box did include film in both sets. I also ran a bead of black silicone inside them before mounting. Probably won't help but, I tend to over-engineer everything.

IMG_0183.jpg

ders0

Reaction score

Did the instructions for your mudflaps reference the film? Because mine did not. I wonder if there are two different versions of these out there.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Did the instructions for your mudflaps reference the film? Because mine did not. I wonder if there are two different versions of these out there.

No, not at all. The film instructions were seperate. You can download instructions from Weathertech.

That's why I had to call. There is no way of knowing 100% what each set should come with.

Pic is the download web page of installation instructions from their website. Film instructions are very generic and are universal to all sets. The fact that film was even listed was only reason I knew at least front or rear should come with it. Turns out, they both should. (Different shape film for front and rear of course.) Screenshot_20190210-194258.png

V8Spock

Reaction score
The film had it's own instruction sheet included in a separate plastic bag. See attached:

WTMF1.jpg

WTMF2.jpg

ders0

Reaction score
No, not at all. The film instructions were seperate. You can download instructions from Weathertech.

That's why I had to call. There is no way of knowing 100% what each set should come with.

Pic is the download web page of installation instructions from their website. Film instructions are very generic and are universal to all sets. The fact that film was even listed was only reason I knew at least front or rear should come with it. Turns out, they both should. (Different shape film for front and rear of course.) View attachment 15822

Hmm what the hell. That’s frustrating because when I was looking at the flaps at the truck accessory store I asked the sales guy if they come with film and he said yes.

I got home and no film in either one. I called them and asked them about it and they said check the instructions. For some models they do and some they don’t. I checked the instructions and saw nothing about it. So they said I guess they don’t for your truck....

And now I’m bummed because after installing them my plan was to take them off when the weather gets nice and add my own.

But I guess now at least I can reach out to weather tech and hopefully get the film for free.

Sucks to do the install twice though.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
As I had mentioned the inclusion of PPF on the 3rd page of this thread, it seems to have created some angst. The PPF is not a complete wrap of the fender....in fact the film is roughly the size of my index finger for each fender/guard. So I am very doubtful if it has any protective quality. In fact, I seriously considered omitting this step altogether. (And continued with the same thought after putting on each one)! The mudguards have very little contact with any painted surface. IMO, I feel there is little benefit to using their finger size PPF. Plus, is was a real PITA to put on. And def would not consider putting it on after guard install.

Last edited:

Todd

Reaction score
Weather Tech flaps ordered here today. Looking forward to getting protection for my "Investment"

Users who are viewing this thread