5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video/audio in motion

ammdrew

Reaction score
so the smart way would be to hide a apple tv in the console and then just have it hotspot to your phone. Did this in my 06 and it was a great way to allow passengers to watch movies on rd trips.. though DVD's are much more reliable then having enough data for the apple tv

derp

Reaction score
so the smart way would be to hide a apple tv in the console and then just have it hotspot to your phone. Did this in my 06 and it was a great way to allow passengers to watch movies on rd trips.. though DVD's are much more reliable then having enough data for the apple tv
but where does the appleTV connect?

phone -> appletv -> .... -> in motion display on head unit

sutterboy

Reaction score

I'll just leave this here

derp

Reaction score

I'll just leave this here
that's great and all, but where do those RCA cables connect? The Naviks unlocks the video in motion, the appleTV catches the video, the phone sources the content, but where does the video from the composite out get to the head unit? I'm trying to get the pinout for the cargo cam input so I can screen mirror to a Raspi, and the raspi can catch video from a phone. I'm really not interested in 325 a pop just to get two pins of composite video sent to the head unit.

with the raspi, I can probably also source the commands for video in motion on my own, along with every feature of the taserDT, full vehicle telemetry, and dashcam recording relay via the hotspot out to an external cloud storage.

sutterboy

Reaction score
that's great and all, but where do those RCA cables connect? The Naviks unlocks the video in motion, the appleTV catches the video, the phone sources the content, but where does the video from the composite out get to the head unit? I'm trying to get the pinout for the cargo cam input so I can screen mirror to a Raspi, and the raspi can catch video from a phone. I'm really not interested in 325 a pop just to get two pins of composite video sent to the head unit.

with the raspi, I can probably also source the commands for video in motion on my own, along with every feature of the taserDT, full vehicle telemetry, and dashcam recording relay via the hotspot out to an external cloud storage.

This device will unlock video in motion and allow you to connect rca cables with this you dont have to buy the tazer dt. I'm sure pac will come out with a device that's a little cheaper here in the next year but this device is ready now. I have ordered it and will report back after its installed and working.

sutterboy

Reaction score

what state are you in? if your close to me maybe after I test this I can come to you so you can do the tests you need.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Why doesnt someone just feed it through the backup camera system while its Bluetoothing the audio? The only tweek would be someway to keep the display from reverting back to whatever default screen it was in after however many seconds the camera screen stays on while in motion...

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to do this for some time... I did jailbreak an old iPhone and used carbridge but it was clunky at best, and then the drm protections came out and I was only able to watch movies that I owned and that were loaded on the phone. even when it worked the screen isn’t that big ( picture the movie only in the upper half of the 12” display).

So I gave up and bought a super strong suction cup mount for my iPad and stuck it to the sunroof.... I’ve traveled a couple of thousand miles with it attached and it has never come off. iPad plays the movies and bluetooths through the stereo and I can still use all the features of the Uconnect. See photo. D21B611F-2FFD-4C17-80EB-5E6C5A29ACCF.jpeg

INVISBLE

Reaction score
My actual solution to this is I just carry along a couple of Samsung TAB A tablets with some headphones and anyone that wants to watch whatever can use our Hulu or Netflix or whatever accounts to watch whatever they want through the WIFI Hotspot in the vehicle or through one of my cellphones. Problem solved. And thats why Chrysler no longer makes drop down or headrest TV's available in most of their newer vehicles(Durango, Grand Cherokee and Pacifica exceptions). And I am cool with it really. I can still use all of the functionality of the 12.1 system and listen to whatever i want while no one bothers me when I am driving. Oh and for my 5 year old I also have a cheap over the seat DVD player/10 inch screen combo with a 12v transformer plugged into the power outlet for her to watch on long trips. It was like 50-60 bucks at Walmart a few years ago and has made its way around various vehicles through the years and still works great.

EcodieselDave

Reaction score
I still have not found anything. it looks like the post above may have something but I'm not sure if it works I reached put to tazer and they said they are not sure if it will work with 2019 ram 1500 with 12 inch display.... I'm still looking though I noticed on naviks website from the link above shows video playing on the 12 inch from a phone but doesnt say anything about video in motion....
This company says that this device will do video in motion and allow you to add a/v rca cables. the device is 325.00. I ordered one and will install it then report back if it works.

PLEASE Let me know if it works & what year Model You have with your 12" screen.

A video of it working would be huge. I was told if you have the 360 Camera it will NOT work however I would assume it uses the Cargo Cam input.
I also could not confirm if this gave you a Video input Only & what activated it (back button or screen off or??)
You tube video is worthless as it doesn't show a movie playing with sound.
I would assume it does full unlock for nav in motion. Also
Trust you can share your feedback

If it Helps I learned years ago if any vehicle had HID Lighting especially aftermarket using Video in motion. Via WIFI it caused a feedback Squeel that's LOUD.
I don't know if this is wifi only or HDMI or either.

It's not the cost, stopping me from purchasing it's taking the dash apart to install a maybe device.

Please share your results & thank you.

This is my 1st board so I don't know how to even get notifications when you reply??

derp

Reaction score
what state are you in? if your close to me maybe after I test this I can come to you so you can do the tests you need.
Fl, i did get an answer for the pinout. Pins 19 and 20. When my zauto package lands ill try to do an assembly slide show.

Last edited:

derp

Reaction score
PLEASE Let me know if it works & what year Model You have with your 12" screen.

A video of it working would be huge. I was told if you have the 360 Camera it will NOT work however I would assume it uses the Cargo Cam input.
I also could not confirm if this gave you a Video input Only & what activated it (back button or screen off or??)
You tube video is worthless as it doesn't show a movie playing with sound.
I would assume it does full unlock for nav in motion. Also
Trust you can share your feedback

If it Helps I learned years ago if any vehicle had HID Lighting especially aftermarket using Video in motion. Via WIFI it caused a feedback Squeel that's LOUD.
I don't know if this is wifi only or HDMI or either.

It's not the cost, stopping me from purchasing it's taking the dash apart to install a maybe device.

Please share your results & thank you.

This is my 1st board so I don't know how to even get notifications when you reply??
My "plan" is to use composite video out from pi to display on cargo cam. If i find the right codes, i can do video in motion via the can bus.

Ill be able to pass audio through via bluetooth from phone to pi, pi bluetooth to head unit, no rca cable audio howling.

Once i work through canbus instead of obd2, i can put the sgw back and take my mx+ out, reducing complexity and build cost.

Via canbus ill be able to do all kinds of crazy fun.
Text to evic
Steering wheel controls(inputs)
Global window controls.
Remote startstop
Lights controls
Ignition interrupt
Throttle based exhaust cutouts (which i intend on sourcing from atlanta speedo)
Change fuel reserve/tpms thresholds.
Walk away locking.
"Holy ****" lighting of drl,low,fogs all at once for off road night driving.
Random silly stuff as i think of it.

Possibly even get into the throttle controller for pedalcommander type stuff (very sketchy here, i dont want to poke at drveline/safety systems much).

derp

Reaction score
My "plan" is to use composite video out from pi to display on cargo cam. If i find the right codes, i can do video in motion via the can bus.

Ill be able to pass audio through via bluetooth from phone to pi, pi bluetooth to head unit, no rca cable audio howling.

Once i work through canbus instead of obd2, i can put the sgw back and take my mx+ out, reducing complexity and build cost.

Via canbus ill be able to do all kinds of crazy fun.
Text to evic
Steering wheel controls(inputs)
Global window controls.
Remote startstop
Lights controls
Ignition interrupt
Throttle based exhaust cutouts (which i intend on sourcing from atlanta speedo)
Change fuel reserve/tpms thresholds.
Walk away locking.
"Holy ****" lighting of drl,low,fogs all at once for off road night driving.
Random silly stuff as i think of it.

Possibly even get into the throttle controller for pedalcommander type stuff (very sketchy here, i dont want to poke at drveline/safety systems much).
no luck yet on the install of the composite video source. tried using my raspi, and also an old DVD player for a sanity check to make sure I wasn't testing with bad gear.

souththirty

Reaction score

derp

Reaction score
Fl, i did get an answer for the pinout. Pins 19 and 20. When my zauto package lands ill try to do an assembly slide show.
yeah, that pinout I got. totally wrong. more to come.

derp

Reaction score
Why doesnt someone just feed it through the backup camera system while its Bluetoothing the audio? The only tweek would be someway to keep the display from reverting back to whatever default screen it was in after however many seconds the camera screen stays on while in motion...
because I don't wanna mess with my backup cam. and I also like challenges. plus feeding though the backup cam line means I would have backup cam guide lines when I brought it up sometimes.

I don't particularly care about the in motion part, but the way it will likely end is with me pushing overrides over the CAN bus to keep the signal alive the same waythe TASER gets there.

sutterboy

Reaction score
Did it work?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was waiting to reply but so far here is what happened- I received the device and installed it. It immidiatly worked for video in motion but did not add a second video input. I called in to the company to see if I did anything wrong they suggested I need to leave it plugged in for a half hour with my door locked so I did and still nothing. They then suggested i leave it for a half hour with the doors unlocked and again no change. So they then told me I can send it back they will look at it and either send it back to me or give me my money back. I asked if they are willing to give me a discount for all the time I have wasted and they said nope. so I have now sent it back and am waiting to see what the outcome is.... I'm just hoping I'm not out 375.00.

souththirty

Reaction score
I was waiting to reply but so far here is what happened- I received the device and installed it. It immidiatly worked for video in motion but did not add a second video input. I called in to the company to see if I did anything wrong they suggested I need to leave it plugged in for a half hour with my door locked so I did and still nothing. They then suggested i leave it for a half hour with the doors unlocked and again no change. So they then told me I can send it back they will look at it and either send it back to me or give me my money back. I asked if they are willing to give me a discount for all the time I have wasted and they said nope. so I have now sent it back and am waiting to see what the outcome is.... I'm just hoping I'm not out 375.00.
So when say .. it didn't add a 2nd input..
Do you mean you couldn't use your phone to play vids on the screen?.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

derp

Reaction score
I got video input via cargo cam input using alfaobd. The zauto composite video kit in pins 21 and 22 gets you an rca input.

May the force be with you.

Users who are viewing this thread