5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video/audio in motion

derp

Reaction score
I was waiting to reply but so far here is what happened- I received the device and installed it. It immidiatly worked for video in motion but did not add a second video input. I called in to the company to see if I did anything wrong they suggested I need to leave it plugged in for a half hour with my door locked so I did and still nothing. They then suggested i leave it for a half hour with the doors unlocked and again no change. So they then told me I can send it back they will look at it and either send it back to me or give me my money back. I asked if they are willing to give me a discount for all the time I have wasted and they said nope. so I have now sent it back and am waiting to see what the outcome is.... I'm just hoping I'm not out 375.00.
Return it and lets take a ride on the homebrew express.

derp

Reaction score
Ugly pics attached. That's polarity backwards. 20200225_072420.jpg

Initially i was told to use 19 and 20. I dunno what those are but its not video!
15822221388946429010358528636266.jpg

Actually, we want 22,21. Ignore the red circle. That is where they said 19 and 20 should be. We want 22, 21. image1.jpg
unnamed.png
Umm. Black means black. Yellow.. yellow.
Dont scrimp on your composite cabling. I actually matters here.

derp

Reaction score
My easiest path for cabling has been down into the center console. Can see it, but till i get sorted out, ill need it easy to reach.

This is step 1 of the homebrew express.

souththirty

Reaction score
My easiest path for cabling has been down into the center console. Can see it, but till i get sorted out, ill need it easy to reach.

This is step 1 of the homebrew express.
Nice find.
So now we have to create something to go from that pin out to out phone?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sutterboy

Reaction score
So when say .. it didn't add a 2nd input..
Do you mean you couldn't use your phone to play vids on the screen?.

yes it did not give me the option to select cargo cam and see my phone. I'm not sure if it has to do with my truck having the hit h zoom or not but where the cargo cam button should be was a hitch zoom button.

derp

Reaction score
Nice find.
So now we have to create something to go from that pin out to out phone?

if you are into that, the duct tape way is to get a headphone jack video output cable for your phone if it supports that.

The SUPER duct tape way is to go phone to screen mirror on an amazon fire TV stick or apple tv to HDMI to composite video converter. then we can have the pinnacle of 1970's video quality on our in dash displays!

so we go.... usbc to big old battery bank, to amazon fire TV stick for USB power
then USB battery bank to HDMI to composite video converter for USB power to get out to compositie video from hdmi.
then use on board unlimited data hotspot to get fire TV online.
then use on board bluetooth to the head unit for audio out.

Skip the phone and netflix directly from the car with a fire TV if you like. I have a feeling I can come up with more layers of abstraction here.

my goal is to slide right past the whole phone content on dash display into the realm of functional, feature rich car computer.Raspi has it's own GPIO lines for controlling 3rd party accessories like lights, train horn compressor if you are inclined, or the strategically placed wiper fluid pumps that spray onto the car behind you from a separate resivoir. maybe an oil slick, smoke screen, road shrapnel.

oh wait. I drive FCA. oil slicks, smokescreens, road shrapnel and leaky fluids are all stock features.

sutterboy

Reaction score
I got video input via cargo cam input using alfaobd. The zauto composite video kit in pins 21 and 22 gets you an rca input.

May the force be with you.
does this also give you video in motion?

derp

Reaction score
does this also give you video in motion?
not....

YET!

mwuhahahahahahah. once the display is cleaned up I can start poking at the obd2 interface via bluetooth and see what I can send to handle video in motion. kinda the bottom of my to do since the project is more about in car telemetry computer than entertainment.

sutterboy

Reaction score
An update on my adventure I got an email from PayPal saying my money had been returned. I called Navicks and they said at this time they are refunding me my money because they do not know why the device is not working for my truck and will let me know once they get a truck like mine to test it if they can get it to work. I have since purchased the composite cable from z automotive and the taser dt in just waiting for them to be shipped. One thing I did notice is that my truck has a +symbol where the cargo can symbol would be and if I push the plus it zooms in on my hitch. Does anyone else have this feature and or know if it affects anything? Once I get the taxer and composite cable if it all works I’ll post links.

derp

Reaction score
An update on my adventure I got an email from PayPal saying my money had been returned. I called Navicks and they said at this time they are refunding me my money because they do not know why the device is not working for my truck and will let me know once they get a truck like mine to test it if they can get it to work. I have since purchased the composite cable from z automotive and the taser dt in just waiting for them to be shipped. One thing I did notice is that my truck has a +symbol where the cargo can symbol would be and if I push the plus it zooms in on my hitch. Does anyone else have this feature and or know if it affects anything? Once I get the taxer and composite cable if it all works I’ll post links.
The hitch zoom in is a standard thing.

once the cargo cam gets set up in firmware things rearrange a bit.

sutterboy

Reaction score
The hitch zoom in is a standard thing.

once the cargo cam gets set up in firmware things rearrange a bit.
cool well I have the tazer dt and the cable on the way I’ll update once I get them and get it all installed.

souththirty

Reaction score
Thx for following up with us. Im excited to see your results

echristi

Reaction score
I am following this. Good information here, thank you

sutterboy

Reaction score
what did you do to turn the cargo cam on? I purchased the cable from navicks and it did not work and now I have a tazer DT hooked up and it seems to not be working. I plugged the composite cable into the correct pins and turned cargo cam on but it does not show up for me.
Ugly pics attached. That's polarity backwards. View attachment 47788

Initially i was told to use 19 and 20. I dunno what those are but its not video!
View attachment 47791

Actually, we want 22,21. Ignore the red circle. That is where they said 19 and 20 should be. We want 22, 21. View attachment 47789
View attachment 47790
Umm. Black means black. Yellow.. yellow.
Dont scrimp on your composite cabling. I actually matters here.

sutterboy

Reaction score
Ok adventure update. I got the composite cable installed into pins 21 and 22 and also installed the tazer dt. The tazer does all kinds of cool things like let's me roll down my windows with my keyfob and do video in motion but it is also supposed to enable the cargo cam. Unfortunately the cargo cam on my vehicle is still not coming on.... From what I have read zautomotive (the makers of the tazer) have great customer care but are closed on the weekends. I will contact them on monday to see what if anything we can do to get this cargo cam turned on. This is the second device I have got that claims to turn on the cargo cam but doesnt I'm beginning to think my truck is not able to have a cargo cam like I chose the wrong options for it to be available. If I cant get this to work I'm going to give alphaobd a shot but I'm not holding my breathe. if anyone has been successful with turning the cargo cam on please let me know how and maybe we can figure out why my truck wont do it.

souththirty

Reaction score
Ok adventure update. I got the composite cable installed into pins 21 and 22 and also installed the tazer dt. The tazer does all kinds of cool things like let's me roll down my windows with my keyfob and do video in motion but it is also supposed to enable the cargo cam. Unfortunately the cargo cam on my vehicle is still not coming on.... From what I have read zautomotive (the makers of the tazer) have great customer care but are closed on the weekends. I will contact them on monday to see what if anything we can do to get this cargo cam turned on. This is the second device I have got that claims to turn on the cargo cam but doesnt I'm beginning to think my truck is not able to have a cargo cam like I chose the wrong options for it to be available. If I cant get this to work I'm going to give alphaobd a shot but I'm not holding my breathe. if anyone has been successful with turning the cargo cam on please let me know how and maybe we can figure out why my truck wont do it.
Maybe ram has to active it?
Does the tazer allow you to speak into the gps? While driving

souththirty

Reaction score
Can you just use the rear cam input? Maybe there's a way to toggle between the 2 input devices.
The cord or
Rear cam

Users who are viewing this thread