5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit today. I got in my truck about 6 in the the afternoon. Sun blazing on it. Didn’t remote start it. No CarPlay. Duh, didn’t expect it to work. Went about 1 block, pulled over, pulled the fuse to the media hub and bam CarPlay is working again. The truck really didn’t have more than 1 minute to cool down and resetting the power fixed it.

Another small side note. I set up an Automation on my phone to let me know if my phone connects to my Bluetooth Wireless CarPlay adapter in the the truck. I came back home from the gym about 12. Went back to work in my home office. About 2:30 I go to get a drink of water and walk to the kitchen which is in pretty close proximity to the truck and I get the notification that my phone connected to my truck. Not totally strange but it had been 2 and a half hours since I was home so why is the USB still on.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit today. I got in my truck about 6 in the the afternoon. Sun blazing on it. Didn’t remote start it. No CarPlay. Duh, didn’t expect it to work. Went about 1 block, pulled over, pulled the fuse to the media hub and bam CarPlay is working again. The truck really didn’t have more than 1 minute to cool down and resetting the power fixed it.

Another small side note. I set up an Automation on my phone to let me know if my phone connects to my Bluetooth Wireless CarPlay adapter in the the truck. I came back home from the gym about 12. Went back to work in my home office. About 2:30 I go to get a drink of water and walk to the kitchen which is in pretty close proximity to the truck and I get the notification that my phone connected to my truck. Not totally strange but it had been 2 and a half hours since I was home so why is the USB still on.
Maybe resetting the power to the hub resets the thermistor?

I also think the media hub stays on all the time, because when I get in my truck, and plug my phone in it usually starts charging my phone even though I haven’t even touched the start button yet.

Maybe someone can confirm this and provide a way to turn it off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I also think the media hub stays on all the time, because when I get in my truck, and plug my phone in it usually starts charging my phone even though I haven’t even touched the start button yet.

It turns off after 1 hour of truck sitting. Powers back up when doors are unlocked with keyfob, or when doors are opened if they weren't locked.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It turns off after 1 hour of truck sitting. Powers back up when doors are unlocked with keyfob, or when doors are opened if they weren't locked.
gotcha thanks. I will try to test the fuse thing next time it doesn't work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The media hub itself is supplied constant battery power via fuse F43, so it will charge devices full time (which it does for me).
The usb cable that links the media hub to the radio will stop receiving its 5v supply once the radio goes full asleep, and that would stop any type of data transfer from device to radio.
81146DBA-F61A-46D5-9EF4-677D1DBACE10.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got this message:

Hi, I am being advised that the next steps would be is to make an appointment at the dealership for them to reach out to STAR Master Techs for assistance and guidance.

Anyone know if they will charge me?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I just got this message:

Hi, I am being advised that the next steps would be is to make an appointment at the dealership for them to reach out to STAR Master Techs for assistance and guidance.

Anyone know if they will charge me?

So interesting note today. I got done golfing at 6. Car in the sun. I started the car for like less than a minute before I got in. Pulled the fuse and reset it right away. Bam. Power. CarPlay working.

I have the new hub and haven’t put it in yet but there is something else at play if resetting the power regardless of temp resets it and power is restored. Thinking I am going to go the route of a fuse switch.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So interesting note today. I got done golfing at 6. Car in the sun. I started the car for like less than a minute before I got in. Pulled the fuse and reset it right away. Bam. Power. CarPlay working.

I have the new hub and haven’t put it in yet but there is something else at play if resetting the power regardless of temp resets it and power is restored. Thinking I am going to go the route of a fuse switch.
Hmm that might be an option if it works every time. I would definitely do this if they want to charge me.

Barqs

Reaction score
My truck sat out in the heat of one of the hottest days of the year yesterday, and my hub/Carplay worked like a champ all afternoon. I can't figure it out. I've yet to pull my fuse to reset anything, but the hub operation is hit or miss with me. My luck any trip to the dealership would end with an "unable to duplicate complaint" response and a diagnostic service charge for nothing. It would be far cheaper to just swap the USB hub with a new one on my own and see how it goes. I really wish it would fail hard and not recover so I would know for sure it was "fixed" on the tail end.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
One more interesting note as I continue to troubleshoot.

105° Today. Going to head to the gym. Remote start about 1 minute before I go to the car. Get in, no CarPlay. Pull full F43 twice. No power. Realized I didn’t actually press the start button yet. Press start. No power still to USB. Pull the fuse one more time. Power. Truck was not nearly cooled off at all in this whole process as it was only running for about 2 minutes.

Richx1

Reaction score
Have this same issue too. In the Phoenix area. If the truck sat in the heat the media hub is hit and miss on startup. I can turn the truck off after it runs like a mile or so and the media hub will reconnect and work again. Because of this, trying to take my truck to Chapman for the service twerps to look at it yields me no help at all.

bbates7995

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram and have had this issue twice this summer. I'm in NE Ohio, so if it's happened to me twice, I can only imagine how often this is happening to people in warmer climates. You'd think that RAM would issue a recall or something to fix this issue. I also cannot keep CarPlay connected when using a cable, I had to purchase a wireless carplay adapter to keep carplay live. Dealer said there was nothing wrong. Ugh. Of course I tried multiple cables and even swapped out the media hub myself and still have the same issue with carplay not staying connected via wired connection. We've not had hot enough weather since changing the hub to know if it fixed the heat problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram and have had this issue twice this summer. I'm in NE Ohio, so if it's happened to me twice, I can only imagine how often this is happening to people in warmer climates. You'd think that RAM would issue a recall or something to fix this issue. I also cannot keep CarPlay connected when using a cable, I had to purchase a wireless carplay adapter to keep carplay live. Dealer said there was nothing wrong. Ugh. Of course I tried multiple cables and even swapped out the media hub myself and still have the same issue with carplay not staying connected via wired connection. We've not had hot enough weather since changing the hub to know if it fixed the heat problem.
If it stays connected with a wireless carplay adapter, but not with your phone plugged in, I'd suspect an issue with your phone. Obviously when it's not heat related.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hate to jinx it, but for some reason mine has worked without issues for the past few weeks. Even when my truck says 110 degrees on hot days. I haven’t changed anything. Hope it continues!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want to jinx it either, but my carplay has always worked and I'm in the Phoenix Metro area. My USB's on the other hand haven't worked since I picked the truck up with 18 miles on the odometer. I can't get a flash drive to register no matter what I do.

Matt_T

Reaction score
Going into my 4th summer with this piece of **** truck. Has anyone solved the problem of CarPlay not working when the vehicle is hot. IE, parked in the sun in Phoenix. Yes, I have a sunscreen. I am so over it and about to get rid of the vehicle because of it. I’ve seen a lot of other people stating they have the same problem but no solutions yet. USB Media hub replaced twice already. Getting ready for another Summer with no CarPlay I guess.
Just throwing my 2 cents in this thread. I have also encountered my android auto not working when it is hot in the truck. I living in central Texas and this summer I noticed that sometimes I would plug my phone into the USB hub to charge and use AA and nothing would happen. It seemed to work again if I left it unplugged and got the cab cool (which take a long long time since the AC in these trucks is a joke). 2 cents over.

cheers

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
it was hot as hell today. 96 degrees with heat index 105. Truck said 115 when I got in. Drove 10 min, the truck said 99. Turned off for a few minutes. Once turned back on everything worked fine.

anyone figure out how to put a switch to reset? Is fuse 43 under the dash? I still haven’t replaced the media hub, but still not sure that will be viable or not.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh i didnt realize the fuse was a 3 prong. I actually never looked at it.

Users who are viewing this thread