5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and CarPlay doesn’t work when hot outside.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
the temp here has been close to 100 w/ heat index of 110 or higher. I don’t want to jinx anything, but my autobox is still going strong after my truck sits out all day.

Not sure if there is any difference leaving that plugged in , as opposed to plugging my phone in when I get in the truck at 5 o clock.

Just throwing that out there.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Damn. I knew I was going to jinx it. Thermometer said 115 on the dash. No usb. Drove for 15 min, turned truck off and back on, still nothing. After another 15 min, let the truck sit for a bit, turned back on, working again! 😤

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we’ve already verified that the newest version of the USB hub doesn’t fix the problem.

Has anyone actually taken the gun apart and identified the thermistor? There’s gotta be a way to replace it or bypass it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The media hub itself is supplied constant battery power via fuse F43, so it will charge devices full time (which it does for me).
The usb cable that links the media hub to the radio will stop receiving its 5v supply once the radio goes full asleep, and that would stop any type of data transfer from device to radio.
View attachment 133577
@Jimmy07 i want to revisit this. It seems the new revision of the usb hub doesn’t fix this, is this still the case?

Furthermore, Is fuse F43 under the hood or in the cab? We talked about putting a switch on the positive feed to the hub, instead of pulling over and shutting down for 10 min, or pulling F43 to reset. It could be reset while driving. Can this be done on the red wire which feeds the usb hub? Maybe put the switch in the center console where it is not visible?

Can you please share your thoughts.

Thank you sir!

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
2019 here but I have a very similar issue. Media hub has been changed 3 times but the issue persists. I just figured out that my CarPlay only works at night, if it does. The only usb that works is in the console. The ones at the back do not work nor do the heated seats, no power and no lights there either. This has been ongoing since my heater core failed 2 years ago. The fan is on its way out now but that’s another story, along with no ac. My screen jumps from input to input to such a degree that I can’t even make a call or listen to music - unless - I have something plugged into the aux port. Anyway, no CarPlay unless it’s dark outside, w. t. f.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Last August I mentioned a switch fuse bypass like this. However, it's a micro 3 fuse, and this is for a micro 2. Still looking for a micro 3 version. Maybe it would be better just to splice an inline switch on the wire feeding the hub. I just need help locating it.
1688042922028.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at either relocating fuse F43, or installing some type of switch. There's not much for micro 3 fuses besides fuse taps. If we can't find the particular wire going to the hub, this may be an option?

Something like this could work to relocate the fuse, but I'd have to fab the pigtail going to the fuse position.
1688063286608.png

If I have to do that, then I might as well just put a 3 pole single throw switch on the pigtail.

1688063474984.png

Thoughts?

Ciege

Reaction score
@RamCares
Same issue with my original owner 2019. It's happened to me every summer here in phoenix, just started happening again yesterday and today. I've mentioned it to the dealer every year, and every year they say they can't reproduce it. Wish there was a fix (warranted or self pay I don't care)!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I verified that resetting fuse F43 does fix the issue after you drive a a bit and let the cab cool down. There’s just no easy was to do this while driving.

Also, I have a buddy at work with a 2021 ram. His outside temp showed 124, and his usb ports were still working. Mine did not yet again, so I reached out to @RamCares to inquire if there is a way to tell which version of the usb hub was installed by the VIN so we could compare part numbers without taking the center console out. Haven’t heard back yet.

I went ahead and ordered the 68272254AE version. I would guess that’s what the 2021 would have in it.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I verified that resetting fuse F43 does fix the issue after you drive a a bit and let the cab cool down. There’s just no easy was to do this while driving.

Also, I have a buddy at work with a 2021 ram. His outside temp showed 124, and his usb ports were still working. Mine did not yet again, so I reached out to @RamCares to inquire if there is a way to tell which version of the usb hub was installed by the VIN so we could compare part numbers without taking the center console out. Haven’t heard back yet.

I went ahead and ordered the 68272254AE version. I would guess that’s what the 2021 would have in it.
Ram should be thanking those who tinker with their trucks for them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram should be thanking those who tinker with their trucks for them
Why would they thank people? It's not a "fix" for the problem. It doesn't help Ram/Stellantis in any way. I guess other than maybe appeasing some enough that they stop bitching about the issue to make them fix it properly.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would they thank people? It's not a "fix" for the problem. It doesn't help Ram/Stellantis in any way. I guess other than maybe appeasing some enough that they stop bitching about the issue to make them fix it properly.
I dont care to be thanked. I just want it to work.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update:

I talked to Mopar parts. They told me that according to my VIN, I have Media hub version 68272254AE installed from the factory.

Version 68397098AE is an improved version, but they couldn't say what is improved on it.

It may be possible that my buddy with the 2021 ram has a 68397098AE, but I dont have his VIN to verify.

I will look into ordering this one and maybe giving that a try before cutting and splicing wires to reset the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread